Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Well.. this surprised me a bit..

I had the K10D and Nikon D80 upstairs just a few minutes ago, and the Nikon's viewfinder is actually bigger and brighter than the K10D's!

Of course, it's annoying as hell to have those little boxes in front of your vision all the time.. but it kind of shocked me.

Not that the K10D's is bad or anything, far from it.

Too bad neither camera is mine.. I'd kill for both of them. heh.

02-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lenses were on them?
02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I did a bit of research on the D80, and it looks like it also has a pentaprism viewfinder. (Nikon: 0.94x magnification, Pentax: 0.95x magnification)

The brightness would depend on the speed of the lenses attached, so it'd be nice to know which ones you looked through!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I did a bit of research on the D80, and it looks like it also has a pentaprism viewfinder. (Nikon: 0.94x magnification, Pentax: 0.95x magnification)

The brightness would depend on the speed of the lenses attached, so it'd be nice to know which ones you looked through!
The Nikkor 18-70mm kit lens, and the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens

The area of the viewfinder itself is simply larger than the K10D as well, and that has nothing to do with lenses.

02-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
The area of the viewfinder itself is simply larger than the K10D as well, and that has nothing to do with lenses.
I don't understand this, because K10D is supposed to have a slightly higher magnification and better eyepoint relief. Using the same sensor, their viewfinders should not have significant difference in size. Your D80 doesn't happen to have an eyecup magnifier attached, does it? Just checking
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I don't understand this, because K10D is supposed to have a slightly higher magnification and better eyepoint relief. Using the same sensor, their viewfinders should not have significant difference in size. Your D80 doesn't happen to have an eyecup magnifier attached, does it? Just checking
It's not *my* D80, but no, it doesn't.

I even tried the 28-75mm f/2.8 tamron lens on the K10D, and it was way better than the 18-55, but still *just* not as bright or large as the Nikon.

Granted, this is nothing HUGE.. the K10D is still fantastic.. but I was just really shocked. However, in a battle of what I want to own, the K10D wins hands down.
02-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't touch it on a camera that wasn't mine, but I'd expect that diopter settings between the two cameras could easily be the difference between the two.

02-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
I wouldn't touch it on a camera that wasn't mine, but I'd expect that diopter settings between the two cameras could easily be the difference between the two.
Or that the focus screens are ground differently.
02-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egarrard Quote
Or that the focus screens are ground differently.
That's what I was thinking, too - the trade-off could be that a smoother/brighter focus screen is harder to use with manual focus lenses.

Pure speculation on my part, so don't hold me to it.

My worst criticism of the Nikon is that it is a Nikon. Did you know that the don't meter with manual focus lenses *at all*?
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
That's what I was thinking, too - the trade-off could be that a smoother/brighter focus screen is harder to use with manual focus lenses.

Pure speculation on my part, so don't hold me to it.

My worst criticism of the Nikon is that it is a Nikon. Did you know that the don't meter with manual focus lenses *at all*?
Trust me.. I am in no way converting at all. Was just kind of surprised.

But hey.. I have access to a K10D now.
02-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

And that is the important part!
02-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Trust me.. I am in no way converting at all. Was just kind of surprised.

Does it have a vertical grip? It makes a world of difference!
02-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Does it have a vertical grip? It makes a world of difference!
No battery grip.. yet. It's not my camera, so I won't be putting the money into one either... I think.

lol

So tempting though.
02-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who cares??? If you prefer the Nikon, buy it and enjoy it! I am sure it is also a good camera.
02-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Interesting. Not long ago me and a d80 owner did the pepsi challenge with the K10D and a d80 and agreed the d80's viewfinder, while certainly nice, was a bit smaller than the K10D. The K10D was also brighter, though this easily could have been the lenses - both 50s but a 1.4 vs. a 1.8.