Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

I propose all future AF tests use this watercraft as a test subject if they have any hope of remaining objective.
(Laughs). Would have failed the DPR test, as it creeps across the frame.

07-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
No offense meant to anyone on this thread, but aren't we kinda dragging this autofocus review anger out just a tad? If others using different brand came to this site (and i am sure they do) is this what we would want them to find? Especially if these folks are looking to switch to pentax?
I am not sure I would mind that much obviously comical and biased comment to protect Pentax.

But the in focus pictures of various situation would be quite interresting to me and positive if anything.
07-28-2016, 12:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I am not sure I would mind that much obviously comical and biased comment to protect Pentax.
Forget about Pentax. Take a look at 1Dx and D5 AF in low light here where "they both failed at -2ev", middle of the video:
07-28-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you were PhD in biology, you'd for sure be an expert in electro optical servo as well (PhD does it all), you'd know that in order to test a Pentax camera your test with aircrafts is not valid, you need to use a DFA70-200 @ f2.8 and a bike at near distance so that the DoF is razor thin (to make sure Pentax fails). Also, you'd have to zoom in your shots at 100% otherwise we can't judge if the shot is tack sharp or not. Now, if you were testing a D5, you'd not use a 70-200 f2.8, you'd use a 300 f4 on distant target (so that DoF is larger), would not zoom photos at 100% and conclude that Woooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa the D5 AF is the best ever triple gold award you'd give. You'd for sure not consider that the D5 cost three times more than the K1 but evaluate the K1 relative to D5. Anyway, if the K1 would be evaluated as good for AF, it would be a scandal and Nikon would probably cancel their service contract with DPR. For Canon and Nikon, Pentax can't have a decent AF, it is simply not possible, not acceptable.

Best regards.
I think each and every person thinks differently and also has different needs when comes to tracking capabilities of a camera.

While we're testing our cameras tracking capabilities and get decent results on what we call normal shooting condition (a dog playing on the beach, a child playing in the garden, a couple dancing at a wedding, etc.) with a 70-200mm lens and with a "safe" aperture set between f8 and f10, sports photographers are testing their cameras in quite different scenarious.

Take a look for example at Jarod Polin's reviews on 1Dx Mark II. He is shooting with a 400mmL lens, at f2.8 or f3.2 and the subject eyes are in focus in 98% of the images (despite the fact that the subject is running on a track). For this kind of tracking 1Dx/7D Mark II and D5/D500 are unmatched.

That being said, K1 it was never advertised as a sports camera and if someone complains about tracking capabilities of this camera because it can not track subjects as good as D5 or 1Dx mark II, then I have to ask myself if that person is a photographer or a clown. For the purpose of this camera (landscape, studio, weedings) I realy don't think that the af will slow anyone down.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 07-28-2016 at 07:16 AM.
07-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Take a look for example at Jarod Polin's reviews on 1Dx Mark II. He is shooting with a 400mmL lens, at f2.8 or f3.2 and the subject eyes are in focus in 98% of the images (despite the fact that the subject is running on a track). For this kind of tracking 1Dx/7D Mark II and D5/D500 are unmatched.
Gear better but the guy must be better too. I don't think he would get the same result as dpreview with that K1... It might find it less godd than 1Dx MarkII or D5, but I think he would find it more than good enough for most uses. and he would likely have lot of keepers too.
07-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I propose all future AF tests use this watercraft as a test subject if they have any hope of remaining objective.
Better test them quick, before it becomes waterlogged and forgets how to float!
07-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Can I add that out of courtesy, I asked another shooter who was chimping his Nikon afterwards, "Got some keepers?"

"Unfortunately, no." he replied.

I didn't press him. I know what it's like to be disappointed.
I got tired of repeated slow/no-focus with the K5/Sigma 150-500 at several airshows. It, and other options, prompted me to jump ship. Just sayin'.
07-28-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I got tired of repeated slow/no-focus with the K5/Sigma 150-500 at several airshows. It, and other options, prompted me to jump ship. Just sayin'.

* and while I have a Reply box open - that PhD dude across the street is still rising to the Troll-bait. People are living in his head for free

JUST SAYIN'

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2016 at 08:45 PM.
07-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I use the K-30/Sigma 150-500 combo which is similar to what you had, SpecialK.

Never had a problem that wasn't my own doing.
07-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Gear better but the guy must be better too. I don't think he would get the same result as dpreview with that K1... It might find it less godd than 1Dx MarkII or D5, but I think he would find it more than good enough for most uses. and he would likely have lot of keepers too.
For me, DPreview lately has become a bad joke, regardless the cameras brand they test. So, I really don't care what they're writing.

If you ask me, I don't think there is a professional action photographer on this planet interested in buying a K1 (or crazy enough to recommend a K1) for shooting BIF or fast action, because is not a proper tool for this kind of job.

This doesn't mean that you can not do a decent job with K1 and fast subjects. You may have some limitations (small buffer, modest write speed, small fps, not a very sophisticated AF system) but at the end of the day you will go home with some keepers. On the other hand, if you are a proffesional wedding photographer, I realy don't think you'll have any kind of problems with K1 regarding af system.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 07-29-2016 at 12:17 AM.
07-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Well, there was only one object, or formation, centered in the frame and by the time focus was achieved it was on the ass end of the plane. Repeatedly.
07-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I shot an air shot with a k-5 and DA*300 and found the performance reasonable.

But my current K-3II is leaps and bounds ahead of the K-5 for AF
07-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was a valid argument in 2013. Just sayin'.
07-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #29
Pentaxian

But if the alternate gear compensate that, then that's an asset. Machine is here to server humans, not the contrary.
07-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #30
Site Supporter

But if the alternate gear compensate that, then that's an asset. Machine is here to server humans, not the contrary.
I still have the Pentax forums t-shirt - wearing it now. I also have a 17mm TS lens that is fun, especially on FF.