Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If K1 sell well as it is, then why would they put a flash on the K3-II sucessor? That's some money saved for them and help keep the form factor small.
Probably because Canon and Nikon started the trend of having no flash on their full frame flagships, since pros use proper lighting equipment to begin with. Pentax's K-3 II was the first APS-C flagship DSLR not to have a flash, AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably because Canon and Nikon started the trend of having no flash on their full frame flagships, since pros use proper lighting equipment to begin with. Pentax's K-3 II was the first APS-C flagship DSLR not to have a flash, AFAIK.
Yes but you have to keep cost at reasonnable level and we are in a shriking market... If the on board flash is not part of the decision for many people, not as much as wifi, gps or articulated screen, then it may really disappear.

The K3-II and K1 sales are good indicator for Pentax and it seems K70 and KS2 are prefered by many to K3 because of the wifi and articulated screen. Even through K3 overall higher end body with on board flash with wireless control, much better AF, more direct controls and much better build/expected life span.
08-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I understand having using a radio setup and remote flash is better.... but being able to simply flip open my flash and hold my flash unit at arms length pointed at the ceiling makes for some very nice photos at a birthday party or similar event... without all the fuss and setup... I really hate to lose this feature... I guess one of my K-50's or my K-5IIs will always stay with me for this purpose!
01-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #19

So what option do I have to get my AF360FGZ to shoot off-camera w/ the K-70?

I did this alot w/ the K-50 w/ a lightstand & shoot thru umbrella.

01-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
So what option do I have to get my AF360FGZ to shoot off-camera w/ the K-70?

I did this alot w/ the K-50 w/ a lightstand & shoot thru umbrella.
Either a second such flash on the camera to act as a controller, a cable, or a wireless triggering system.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #21

Either a second such flash on the camera to act as a controller, a cable, or a wireless triggering system.
What's the difference btwwn a second speedlight on the hotshoe vs the built-in popup flash, in terms of transmitting?

The speedlight receives and sends? The pop up just sends?
01-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What's the difference btwwn a second speedlight on the hotshoe vs the built-in popup flash, in terms of transmitting?

The speedlight receives and sends? The pop up just sends?
Since the camera doesn't support wireless flash (by means of software restrictions), you'd need a speedlight that does. It's that simple, sadly

Adam

01-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #23

I got a Cactus vii and works nice .
01-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by thesia26 Quote
I got a Cactus vii and works nice .
Do i need one cactus on the flash and one on camera?
01-17-2017, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes if you want to use the Cactus for HSS and manual flash. It does not do P-TTL wirelessly.

ACON R930 is a PTTL trigger.

Overall after using P-TTL and manual I'm enjoying manual flash better. If you get a Cactus V6 or V6ii (hss) then you can control your flash in manual mode and you can put the flash on your camera and enjoy P-TTL for quick and dirty flash or use a cord for off camera P-TTL.
01-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Having rarely used flash, I know and understand very little of Pentax flash systems. However, I do know that, if I set the K-70 flash to manual (1/128), it will trigger my off-camera Yongnuo YN460 in S1 Mode. But perhaps everyone here is describing something different.

Philip
01-18-2017, 01:12 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Yes, but make sure you wear gloves.
01-18-2017, 02:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there's the K-3 if you want that feature with the on-board flash.
that's why I'm still holding my K3 instead of jumping on the K1 train well, there's also the price factor (huge factor)
01-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Having rarely used flash, I know and understand very little of Pentax flash systems. However, I do know that, if I set the K-70 flash to manual (1/128), it will trigger my off-camera Yongnuo YN460 in S1 Mode. But perhaps everyone here is describing something different.

Philip
The K-3/5, K-50/30 etc allowed the pop up flash to use P-TTL in a couple of different modes to control the output of an off camera P-TTL slave flash. This allowed exposure settings etc to be controlled optically.

The S1 or S2 (depending on the mode of the onboard flash) option still exists with all optically triggered remote flashes that support it. But these modes do not permout control from the camera over exposure from the remote flash.
01-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #30

Could off camera flash be implemented in the future with a firmware update or is it a mechanical in camera upgrade?