Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is there a price advantage to buying in Japan

I am going to be heading to a cruise in the orient that may include Japan. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying new Pentax or Sigma items over there? Are prices any lower over there than in the US?

07-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What you save...and if you need a repair...should be taken into account...in Australia some of our long term Camera shops are finding it hard and are going to the wall...they have to compete with online and the distributors/wholesalers in the marketplace it does mean lower prices...but...what happens to being able to hold and test a camera before you buy, if you intend to buy then go to a local store to just to check out the product then get the cheap price elsewhere not morally right in my mind, they do all the hard work and someone else makes a few bucks...I had a flash repair done and the flash was 5 years old had been hammered when it was returned it hadn't been put back together right by the repairer the store organised a new latest model as a free replacement...I also get invites to free events and free gear advice...as a consumer i see the local store even if a little dearer a great investment...it supports local jobs and has a flow on effect for our community...my store of choice is Camera Electronic in Perth Western Australia.
07-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some items are cheaper, like the 560mm (back when the US price was $7k), but I think for the most part US prices are lower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't think there's any advantage in buying new items in Japan, especially given the strength of the yen right now. For used lenses, Japan is quite good, mainly because of the selection. You can often find multiple copies of Pentax lenses to compare in the bigger shops. However, you have to ask yourself if you want to spend your limited time in Japan raking around backstreets find used camera dealers. Personally, I think it's a waste of time.

Last edited by JPT; 07-28-2016 at 08:48 PM.
07-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

most cheapest in China,haha
07-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

New, don't know...
Used, I've found good bargains in pristine conditions... very cheap compared to EU prices... don't know how they compare to US prices...
07-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you are military and can buy on base at the exchange tax free, I doubt it. And although Pentax lenses are made in Vietnam and cameras in the Philippines, they are not commonly found in the local market.

The advantage of buying in Japan are possibly the used market and what we call "imports" that are not sold domestically or must be special ordered, like various color bodies. Collectors also enjoy the different model names for various cameras.

What I can recommend is taking photos in Japan!

07-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The biggest factors will be the prevailing exchange rate when you change your money, and any applicable taxes/duties and whether you volunteer to pay them.
07-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Always look at the after sales services. We're not hoping for a breakdown but in case it happens, it's best if it can be addressed locally.