Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sensor cleaning

Is it OK to use one of those aerosol dusters to remove dust from the sensor? I assume not, but I have one at home so I thought I'd ask around.

07-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No!

those canned air sprayers can get condensation on your sensor (air exiting is really cold), and deposit some particles too.

To clean the sensor, use a rocket blower from Giotto or a similar device (one that has a valve to prevent dust particles from entering). If needed, you can purchase a super-expensive Artic Butterfly brush or a SensorKlear from LensPEN.
07-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
No!

"...use a rocket blower from Giotto or a similar device (one that has a valve to prevent dust particles from entering). If needed, you can purchase a super-expensive Artic Butterfly brush or a SensorKlear from LensPEN.
"

I used LensPen once before I got the hilarious-looking big Giotto Rocket...which has so-far worked as well, and is good extra padding in a camera bag.

Since some say the Rocket is not always enough and since LensPen takes up no space, I carry both. I don't want to mess with sensor cleaning fluids, would rather use Photoshop.

Foolishly (I guess), I also got the bizarre Pentax-branded ($$$ Adorama) sensor cleaning stick ( its said to work especially with especially nasty/sticky pollen on a sensor).
07-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
"

I used LensPen once before I got the hilarious-looking big Giotto Rocket...which has so-far worked as well, and is good extra padding in a camera bag.

Since some say the Rocket is not always enough and since LensPen takes up no space, I carry both. I don't want to mess with sensor cleaning fluids, would rather use Photoshop.

Foolishly (I guess), I also got the bizarre Pentax-branded ($$$ Adorama) sensor cleaning stick ( its said to work especially with especially nasty/sticky pollen on a sensor).
I've got the same setup. A rocket blower and SensorPen. It's worked well for me so far. I've got a couple tiny little spots, but nothing that I'd notice during normal shooting.

07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

If any dust particles adhered to the sensor and you can't remove them, you can take your camera to Pentax support or wherever to wet clean the sensor. Make sure those people know what they are doing & give you some warranty on their work.

You can also buy solutions & swabs specifically prepared for sensor wet cleaning: Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions

I would not touch the sensor if you have an expensive camera. Otherwise, it’s not too difficult to clean it. I wet cleaned sensor in my old D70 a couple of times with no problems. For new cameras choose Eclipse 2 solution designated as E2 on the web page . Those cameras for which E2 is recommended have a thin layer of Tin Oxide applied over their sensors. Tin Oxide is used as antistatic to repel dust particles. If you use wrong solution you will risk of removing the layer of Tin Oxide leaving muddy stains over sensor.
07-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

I use the airosol setup that creates a vacuum, sucking the dust off (green clean). Works really well for dry dust.
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Gittios Rocket and Lenspen........worked great on my k100d.

No aerosol!!

The lenspen has limited number of recomended uses though as it holds the 'things' that it sucks off of your sensor!

07-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Is it OK to use one of those aerosol dusters to remove dust from the sensor? I assume not, but I have one at home so I thought I'd ask around.
I find myself to be the off one out, but all I use is compressed gas for sensor cleaning.
Never had a problem in three DSLRs and 5 years of DSLR use (and cleaning).
07-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just ordered a rocket blower. i'll give that a try and go from there. i'm terrified of harming the sensor, although I'm sure it's more durable than I give it credit for. Thanks for the tips everyone.
07-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
just ordered a rocket blower. i'll give that a try and go from there. i'm terrified of harming the sensor, although I'm sure it's more durable than I give it credit for. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Consider the bashing it takes during sensor cleaning when the camera is knocking it around.....
07-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Many people say they use a "LensPEN" toclean the sensor. Are you gjuys referingg to the SensorKlear by LensPen or an actual LensPEN? I'm trying to determine if there's an actual difference between the two, except for shape.
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
"
I've used the Pentax O-ICK1 a couple of times on both of my K10D bodies with excellent results. Used it with the Visible Dust Brite Vue Sensor Loupe which really illuminates the dust. I recommend both. Ordered the O-ICK1 from Japan before it was available in the USA.

Richard
07-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Inactive Account

those sensors will stand up to a lot more than you think... i have done MANY wet cleanings on my k10d's sensor with no problems... i use eclipse fluid, and a kimwipe wrapped around a home made wand made out of a popsicle craft stick... to use the popsicle stick as a wand just clip one of the ends off so its flat... then just a few drops of eclipse on the kimwipe and swab back and forth to cover the entire surface...works like a charm...

Last edited by pentaxbling; 07-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.