Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As far as primes go, the 40mm would be the most compact lens to get. Pretty much any lens in the 28m to 50mm (35mm eqv.)range is what's usually used for street photography. Usually it's a tie between a 35mm or a 50mm for lenses most often used.

08-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
As far as primes go, the 40mm would be the most compact lens to get
The 40mm on my K-5 is something I can slip into the cargo pocket on my pants, or outside pocket of a jacket. I use a wrist strap. when it's not in the pocket.

Generally, I go out with one lens and make it work for whatever comes along. It's not as convenient asa zoom, but having to move closer or further away also makes me think more about the shot, and composition.
08-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Street photography is not my thing, but were I to do a lot, the camera choice would definitely be something like a Sony RX100 ***. The latter has the advantage of being shirt-pocket small, auto lens cap, utterly silent. The 1" sensor and excellent Zeiss lens by all reports deliver IQ on a par with any APS-C + basic zoom combination*. Depending on your anticipated subjects, chose either the 24~70mm or 35~100mm model (I would guess the 24~70 would be better for street photography). Another competitive camera of similar design: Canon G7X Mark II, with a 1" sensor and 24~100mm zoom. Owner reviews of the two Sonys and the Canon have been positive to the point of major enthusiasm.

*If you are doing people photography, best-you-can-get IQ is not necessary.
08-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #19

As many others have said the DA40xs. I use this on a K30 for street and it is not cumbersome at all. Its a good focal length street portraits. If size is still an issue then go for the GR. You will find that it needs a different mindset . The GR is all about getting up close and personal whereas the DA40 will leave you slightly more distant from your subjects. If you check out my flick page I have albums where you can compare the da35, da40 da21 and GR for street. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamstairs/

08-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The best camera you own is the camera you are carrying when you want to use it.

A modern smartphone may be your best option.

I carry one just in case . . .

aoeu
08-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
The best camera you own is the camera you are carrying when you want to use it.

A modern smartphone may be your best option.

I carry one just in case . . .

aoeu
I was just about to say that.

You are already likely carrying an iPhone.... just use that if you are worried about size. The IQ is just fine for instagram and other uses.

The only thing you are giving up is the lens interchangeability, but if you are merely doing street stuff... iphone is just fine. No need to waste more money.
08-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Leonardo, you have some excellent gear there - ideally suited to street photography.

Do NOT buy anything new. For a week, try to take your camera and the DA21 with you everywhere you go; carry it over your shoulder (much more comfortable than around your neck), and keep the DA40 in your pocket if you want a bit more versatility.

Better still, join next month's Single In challenge and immerse yourself in the supportive community there. If that can't inspire you to use your existing kit then I would agree with the above that sticking with your phone might be a better option.

08-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leommj Quote
Should I
1) Suck it up and carry the K-x, it is already very small and light
2) Buy a K-S1 (or K-01), as they are a little smaller and lighter
3) If I think the K-x is too heavy then I should abandon DSLRs completely and go mirrorless
Do #1 first. If it will be still heavy after an active use of K-x, let's say after at least one month of use, then think about #3.
If you shoot ones a year, why to waste money right now for something else.
08-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do NOT buy anything new.
Using a camera that you know well allows you to shoot with confidence. tryong to learn a new camera while also trying a new style of photography will likely lead to mistakes and frustration.