Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Advice for a Novice on DSLR and Street Photography

Hi!
I bought a K-x several years ago, and along the years bought several lenses of different sizes, as I did not knew what kind of photography I liked better.
Eventually I came to understand that my favorite kinds of photography are portrait and street photography. But I ended up using my camera too rarely (recently it is less than once a year), not wanting to carry it because of its size.
I wanted your opinion:
Should I
1) Suck it up and carry the K-x, it is already very small and light
2) Buy a K-S1 (or K-01), as they are a little smaller and lighter
3) If I think the K-x is too heavy then I should abandon DSLRs completely and go mirrorless

I probably only haven't gone for option 3 yet because I have spent so much in lenses...

08-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leommj Quote
3) If I think the K-x is too heavy then I should abandon DSLRs completely and go mirrorless
I've had both the k-x and the K-01 (though not a K-S1) and if the k-x is too big then either look at mirrorless or one of the small 1" sensor cameras like the Sony RX-100 series.

Despite the differences in specifications the k-x feels much smaller than the k-01. The k-x with a small prime like the DA 70mm Limited is about as small as it gets, and I think would not be significantly different than many of the mirrorless cameras when you consider the lens as well.

You might also consider how you carry the camera, a neck strap is literally a pain in the neck for me but with a properly hung sling strap the camera hangs at waist level on your side and is mostly unnoticeable. I can go all day with the K-1 on my op/tech sling strap but even the k-x gave me a sore neck after an hour with a neck strap.
08-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Hi!
2) Buy a K-S1 (or K-01), as they are a little smaller and lighter
The K-01 is a great camera IMO and it's much less obtrusive for street photography than using a camera at eye level. With the 40mm lens it's small, quick and capable. No one will finger you as a pro, yet the IQ is excellent.
08-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, I think a K-x with a 40mm XS pancake prime would be as small as it gets, but I don't think either focal length are great for street photog work. Something in the 20's, like an F 28mm or 21mm Ltd, seem like good lenses to check out. As for a strap, I've been using a Joby DSLR wrist strap, and like it a lot more than neck straps.

08-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Is size a concern when you're doing portraits, or just street photography? The Ricoh GR is a great compact for street photography if you don't need zoom. It's not a great focal length for typical portraits, though, so you would still keep the K-x for portraits.
08-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
No, I think a K-x with a 40mm XS pancake prime would be as small as it gets, but I don't think either focal length are great for street photog work. Something in the 20's, like an F 28mm or 21mm Ltd, seem like good lenses to check out. As for a strap, I've been using a Joby DSLR wrist strap, and like it a lot more than neck straps.
He's got the 21mm ltd.

IDK, the k-x with the 21mm and 40mm seems pretty small... Pentax dslrs are as small as they get.
Check out camerasize.com, you can compare the k-x and k-s1 and k-01 and see if you think the difference is big enough. Throw your favorite mirror-less into the mix as well.
08-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #7

There's always the Q:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

08-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The k-x with a small prime like the DA 70mm Limited
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think a K-x with a 40mm XS pancake prime would be as small as it gets,
I think teh 40mm XS is a great lens for street photography, it's compact has fast AF, is sharp with great color resolution, on a KX it it would be a small and versatile kit.
08-01-2016, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe photography is not you thing at all. I could see you saying that you are using your camera and it's just to big. You would at least be out there taking pictures. But if you are using your camera less than once a year then I guess you're not very much into it.
08-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I think teh 40mm XS is a great lens for street photography, it's compact has fast AF, is sharp with great color resolution, on a KX it it would be a small and versatile kit.
Also a very good choice, though I prefer the longer focal length. But for small size it cannot be beat.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But if you are using your camera less than once a year then I guess you're not very much into it.
Also a good point. To the OP, if you really only use a camera once a year are you sure it is worth spending more money on this? I use a K-1, K-3II and Sony Rx-100 depending on how much I want to carry but I am never without a camera. Carrying the K-1 all day is sometimes like work not fun but I do it because I want the images. If you do not have that passion to carry the gear always maybe a different hobby would be a better use of money? Not trying to be mean but sometimes I want to do something and spend money on it and then realize that actually doing that thing never really happens and I wasted the money.
08-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I've done street photography, and all of my "work" is quite casual, I never reach focal lengths like that unless I'm wanting something far beyond for something distant. I picked up a DA 35 f2.4 to see what that would be like and it's about as narrow as I want for street.

But then I'm weird and ran through a lot of NYC and used my 15mm Ltd on the street. So maybe that says something about me.
08-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #12

+1, not too bad for street portraits either.
08-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I probably only haven't gone for option 3 yet because I have spent so much in lenses...
I used to have the same problem with my K-5 which stays home most of the time.
I like more of city space and night light. At first I carry no less than 3 primes with me because I don't really know what I will see, I don't want to miss a good opportunity + I carry a tripod because I like to go out at night etc. When add everything up, I end up don't want to go out with those heavy equipment any more so I miss everything!

Later I join Instagram and look at a lot of people photos, creativity, etc. I got a lot of inspiration. it is a kind of helps pushing me to "go out with the camera". Now I found myself,... I NEED to get out for photo shooting at less a day every week. And I spend time like 6-10 hours each.
To reduce weight, I do it with only a prime, a Gorillapod, no camera bag, and it works, weight is not an issue any more. I can take a lot more photo and walk a lot longer.

so... instead of focus only on the equipment, Try find a motivation to go out with the camera too.

and another thing, do not just take any photo. Force yourself to take only “good” photo. Nothing can demotivate you more than see your own crappy photos when you know you can do a better job. So spend time with the location find the best spot, and take good photos that can wow people. (my 2 cents)

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.
08-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Try it from the other direction for awhile.
Use any recent Canon P+S until you discover what it can't do that you want. In my case it was distortion at the zoom limits and some atrociously wrong color balance.
I carry a K-5 most of the time with a pair of primes, some misc, and a decent wide zoom.
I always carry the canon and get results that please me with both methods.
08-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you interested in street photography, or in carrying a camera when walking the streets?
-- If the former then what camera works well is what is a physical extension of your looking. A k-x w/ a 20 mm ~ 24 mm lens (zone focused) and a 35 mm equivalent optical viewfinder would be my choice.
-- But if I want a camera w/ me, just in case, then I take a Q and toy #4 and #3 lenses (35 mm equivalent and the same 35 mm equivalent optical viewfinder, and a fisheye lens).
-- You can pick your equivalents to these--but (most importantly) the camera should fit in a jacket pocket or come to the eye seamlessly, is determined by your priorities. Once you decide that, the camera choice should be much clearer.