Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

should I be concerned ?

Hi guys, I'm into the second week with my new K10D, there's a whole bunch of stuff to learn but up to now it's looking good.

But is this anything to worry about, when I look through the viewfinder it seems to be covered in very fine dots. Is the view finder glass just textured ? There is one large speck though that can be clearly seen.
When I take the lens off the dotty texture and the dot is still there so the lens has nothing to do with it.
Am I just seeing the viewfinder OR am I actually seeing what goes to the sensor ??

hope this make sense. BARCUD

07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The focusing screen does have a texture. It is most easily seen against a bright background (eg. blue sky). A larger dot, however, might be dust or something of the sort that landed on it.

The focusing screen can be removed and cleaned, but be aware that it is very fragile. Unless the speck is very bothersome, I would leave it alone.
07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I took a look through my K10D and I don't see anything like what you describe. My understanding is that on the K10D you do NOT see the image from the sensor (I think the K20D has this and is called live view). I am going to guess that your mirror--not the sensor-- has dust on it.
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can't see sensor dust through your viewfinder. Does it kind of look like frosted glass or ground glass? If so, it's just the texture of the focusing screen. If the dots are big black specks, then it's probably dust. Use something like a rocket blower to gently clean it. Don't touch the glass.

07-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #5

Take off your polarized sunglasses.
07-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's the matte finish on the view screen. This is a common question among new users.

Occasionally, you may see a spec of dust on the view screen. It can be annoying, but doesn't affect picture quality at all.
07-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrsell Quote
I took a look through my K10D and I don't see anything like what you describe. My understanding is that on the K10D you do NOT see the image from the sensor (I think the K20D has this and is called live view). I am going to guess that your mirror--not the sensor-- has dust on it.
Live view is seen on the back LCD. He's referring to the matte finish on the viewfinder focus screen. It's on your K10D, too, but it's very subtle. It's supposed to aid in manual focusing, but I don't think it does much good. You can change focus screens, though.
07-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BARCUD Quote
Hi guys, I'm into the second week with my new K10D, there's a whole bunch of stuff to learn but up to now it's looking good.

But is this anything to worry about, when I look through the viewfinder it seems to be covered in very fine dots. Is the view finder glass just textured ? There is one large speck though that can be clearly seen.
When I take the lens off the dotty texture and the dot is still there so the lens has nothing to do with it.
Am I just seeing the viewfinder OR am I actually seeing what goes to the sensor ??

hope this make sense. BARCUD
You are seeing the texture of the screen (it's called a "groundglass" for a reason, even though they are now plastic). You can probably see some lines as well. The larger speck is probably a bit of dust. Don't worry about it, it won't hurt anything where it is.
You can use a blower from a blower brush to try to blow it off. I would NOT use a compressed gas blower (Dust-Off, et al) unless you are really sure of what you are doing. It is very easy to blow the shutter (literally) when the mirror is down, and damage it.

07-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
that's reassuring

many thanks guys that's a mystery solved. The viewfinder looks just how you described it. There is one speck but I'll leave it where it is I think. I could blow it off but who knows where it might end up !?

great forum

BARCUD
07-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BARCUD Quote
many thanks guys that's a mystery solved. The viewfinder looks just how you described it. There is one speck but I'll leave it where it is I think. I could blow it off but who knows where it might end up !?

great forum

BARCUD
If you do try to blow that spec off, make sure to use a Rocket Blower or some other bulb type blower that you'd use to clean your sensor. However, instead of locking up the mirror as you'd do to clean the sensor, try a few blasts of air with the mirror down. That was the only way I could get rid of a pesky spec on my viewfinder screen.