Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know , I know, counting likes is bogus but..... the K-1 is doing well.

The K-3 sample images over the last 3 years has garnered 5262 likes for 7000 posts and 783,304 views
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html

In three months the K-1 has in it's thread , 5384 likes. for 3,007 posts 289,940 views.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictures.html

It pretty much goes without saying, the K-1 is by far the most well received Pentax camera in a very long time. All the early indications, store staff turning up in their spare time to go to Pentax's K-1 demo days, curiosity from shooters of other camera systems, all the early indications that this was going to be big have translated into something.

While looking at the number of contributions , views and likes may not be the most scientific way of judging the success of a product, looking at the number of views is certainly a way of gauging interest, and looking at the posts to likes ratio certainly means people like what they see, more than any other recent Pentax camera.

We can argue until the cows come home over why that is, but the numbers are convincing. The quality of images and enthusiasm for this camera are off the Pentax charts. I'd be really interested in seeing what numbers Pentax are seeing over in their sales department, but we all know that will never happen. But the big things is, lot's of happy Pentatians, and lots of interest from those who aren't Pentatians.

My personal take based on other observations through the forum, the K-1 has generated lots of enthusiasm.

Things are looking up.

Last edited by normhead; 08-04-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edit to title.
08-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So Norm, when are you taking the plunge?

I honestly have no idea if the images I am taking with the K-1 are 'better' than those with the k-3II. But I can say the K-1, as a camera, is the best camera I have ever used. Buttons, dials, shape, LCD screen all just work. It fits my hand like a glove and despite the extra weight I can carry it one handed far longer than I can carry the K-3II. At the level of today's sensors I think it would be very hard to discern real image quality differences when comparing images from different times and photographers and formats. But there is no question in my mind that the K-1, as a tool to take images, is the best I have ever used.
08-04-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So Norm, when are you taking the plunge?

I honestly have no idea if the images I am taking with the K-1 are 'better' than those with the k-3II. But I can say the K-1, as a camera, is the best camera I have ever used. Buttons, dials, shape, LCD screen all just work. It fits my hand like a glove and despite the extra weight I can carry it one handed far longer than I can carry the K-3II. At the level of today's sensors I think it would be very hard to discern real image quality differences when comparing images from different times and photographers and formats. But there is no question in my mind that the K-1, as a tool to take images, is the best I have ever used.
For me, retired and all, and weak Canadian dollar where it is, the K-1 is out of my price range. So I see K-1 users the same way I used to see D800 users. Out of my class. There could come a time when a K-1 would be a possibility, but right now a K-70 interests me more. And a lot of that has to do with what percentage of my yearly income it will take to purchase it. Plus my K-3 still works great.

But I was also just thinking this is Pentax turning the corner in a lot of ways.

I always said the biggest thing with the D800 was you could spend a lot more on lenses if you wanted to. It's getting to be that way with Pentax. The best ring motors are on the FF lenses that cost more than the APS-c lens for the same FoV. The only really advanced lens with KAF4 is the new 55-300. I mean really? It's a great consumer lens, but I'm not trading my SDM 60-250, or DA*200 ƒ2.8 for it. So while I'm happy for all you dudes with lots of disposable income, for me the K-1 stuff is about as relevant to me as the D800 stuff was 5 years ago. What it has done is, most of the new lenses coming out will be FF. All the long glass is very expensive, and I'm in the position a lot of Nikon D7000 users were 5 years ago. All the new stuff coming out is geared for the FF cameras.

The thing I liked about Pentax was their best efforts went towards gear I could afford. That's no longer the case.

One difference is that buying a D800 would have meant starting all over again with lenses. Eventually buying a K-1 will make better use of the lenses I own. With the phasing out of SDM lenses and screw drive lenses, Pentax equipment prices will go through the roof. I'd suggest anyone in my position to get what they want now. I know the redone DA*-200 will have a fast focusing PLM motor and KAF4 aperture control, but I won't be able to afford it. My choice is an SDM 200mm I can afford, rather than wait for a KAF4 PLM 200 that I can't afford. I'm sure there are a lot of others in my position. The K-1 sounds like a great thing.... but it's just not a practical thing. My big purchase this year was a $900 CAD DA*200. And even that meant KD for dinner for a while. I suspect there are a lot more folks in my shoes than there are who can just snap up a K-1.

So while I'm happy to see the resurgence of interest in Pentax, the K-1 doesn't change much for me. I'm the kind of guy that if I needed a K-1 I would have bought a D800 5 years ago, I wouldn't have waited until now.
08-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Liike Norm mentioned counting views and likes is definitely not the absolute truth. However, everything we have heard since the launch of the K-1 indicates it is the biggest success they have had in a long, long time. They started shipping in April/May, and the camera is still in short supply. When have we last seen a situation liike this?

I preordered and got mine from the very first shipments. Hence I have had a couple of months to play with it and learn to know what the camera is capable of. There is one area where the K-1 is in a league of its own compared to earlier Pentax DSLRs. Image quality in low light/high ISO is just jaw-dropping. I am currently post-processing my summer holiday shots, and some of the low-light ones are just astonishing.

08-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But I was also just thinking this is Pentax turning the corner in a lot of ways.
You are definitely correct with this. I am not sure that all new glass will be high end FF stuff though. Pentax has a good foundation in APS-C glass and I think they will continue with that. Long glass though, yes it will be FF compatible. Low volume items like that would not be feasible to make two versions. But as already shown with the DA*300 and DA*200 they need not be huge in either size or cost. The DFA 150-450 is a big lens but not huge and yes it is more expensive than a 55-300 but not, IMHO, out of line for what you get.

The new DFA 28-105 is not expensive. Less cost in fact than the DA 16-85 which is similar though not an exactly equivalent lens. So there will be less expensive FF glass available I think.

So while I'm happy for all you dudes with lots of disposable income, for me the K-1 stuff is about as relevant to me as the D800 stuff was 5 years ago.
Well it's not disposable income for me, just another business expense.

K-3II + DA 16-85 = $1,500
K-1 + DFA 28-105 = $2,300
So $800 more for the FF camera. Whether the extra cost is worth it is of course an individual decision. For me it has definitely been worth it, but do I need it? No of course not, I can make perfectly salable images with a K-5 or my Sony RX-100. But I'm really enjoying the K-1 in a way I have not enjoyed using another camera, ever.
08-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-3 sample images over the last 3 years has garnered 5262 likes for 7000 posts and 783,304 views
K3 sample shots ... post here !

In three months the K-1 has in it's thread , 5384 likes. for 3,007 posts 289,940 views.
Post your K-1 pictures!
All the k3 needs is a handful of duckfaced selfies in a bikini* and it will be back on top again.

* Either the camera or the user in the bikini**.

** Norm, I promise you a "like" if it's you in the bikini.
08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
All the k3 needs is a handful of duckfaced selfies in a bikini* and it will be back on top again.
LeRolls is shooting mostly K-3 still... and he has as many gorgeous babes in bikini shots as anyone. We're already doing that.

QuoteQuote:
** Norm, I promise you a "like" if it's you in the bikini.
That's probably enough to get you banned from the forum.

08-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Banned

Tomorrow Ricoh publishes their quarterly financial report and maybe we can see how that turned things around. Beancounters don't look at images.
08-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope some one posts an interpretation.
08-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

k-1
is the best camera
yyyyes!
08-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think from lookings at the numbers any other Pentax future or past is likely to match this kind of welcome. It is the perfect combo of price and performance for an "only FF of the brand" camera. The satisfaction level is out of this world.

At this point with my K-3 I was still stressing about tweaking my post processing to make up for the hit I took in High ISO and High Dynamic Range performance. SO far with the K-1, we are seeing no legitimate complaints, beside comments from those who would have liked different specs. i.e. faster AF, and burst mode. Anything it does, it does well. Essentially the kinds of complaints we've seen are about not making a more expensive camera, and completely unreasonable given what you get for your money.
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
the K-1 is out of my price range
Will the "Luverly" Tess not treat you to one?
08-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anything it does, it does well.
+1. It is what it is and it is exceptional at what it does. Just don't try to make it something it isn't. They called it a "field camera" whatever that means but I take it be macro, product, landscape and astro. All of which it excels at. And despite one or two folks who seem to have gone through 3 or 4 bodies before getting a good one, the actual number of complaints and issues has been almost non-existent.
08-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The satisfaction level is out of this world.
So its made it to the moon too?

I take it be macro, product, landscape and astro. All of which it excels at

I'd also rate it as a "slow"sports camera as well.In saying that I can get a good angle of a surfing location and the 4.5fps is great.I used to use 3fps on my Aps-c cams, the faster speeds aren't necessary for me.
08-04-2016, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1. It is what it is and it is exceptional at what it does. Just don't try to make it something it isn't. They called it a "field camera" whatever that means but I take it be macro, product, landscape and astro. All of which it excels at. And despite one or two folks who seem to have gone through 3 or 4 bodies before getting a good one, the actual number of complaints and issues has been almost non-existent.
For a hobbyist who enjoys the gear as much as the images, the K-1 is so good I'm selling APSc equipment, film equipment, cult-collector lenses, accessories - anything I have that I know I will never bother to use again.

It's that good