Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One step forward or ... ?

Hi.

Because Pentax service have my K-3 about a three weeks. PCB problem of course on guarantee. I bought K10D aka GX10. I have a some question about this. What is working with a SDM, good or with problems ? How about a light meter ? Or a legendary qualities are just a legend ? I must mods a thread title from (...) to really good decision ?

Why I bought this ? Because it was a set with a two lens. Probably when I sell this lenses, I have a free camera.

Thanks, Michal.

08-04-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D is a CCD based sensor camera. Does well in good light, AF and ISO not great for low light. With the older firmware it doesn't work with SDM/DC - you need version 1.30 per the website as a minimum to use SDM.

Firmware Update Software for K10D | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
08-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K10D is a CCD based sensor camera. Does well in good light, AF and ISO not great for low light. With the older firmware it doesn't work with SDM/DC - you need version 1.30 per the website as a minimum to use SDM.

Firmware Update Software for K10D | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
I have a 1.3 firmware, is a good news. About a problems with high ISO i know. But my max ISO on film and digital is 400, I don't know why. Probably because I have a coded in mind 400 is good for reportage
08-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cieslikowski Quote
I have a 1.3 firmware, is a good news. About a problems with high ISO i know. But my max ISO on film and digital is 400, I don't know why. Probably because I have a coded in mind 400 is good for reportage
There is a newer one listed v1.31 which improves stability of recording on SDHC cards - you may want to look at upgrading if you are using SDHC cards.
ISO 400 is fine - but feel free to experiment a bit with higher ISO and see what your tolerance is. Depending on what your RAW processing options are you may find you can reduce noise within acceptable quality for details and have your cake and eat it too.

08-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cieslikowski Quote
I am the same. Even with my K20D it felt wrong to go to ISO 640, which I did sometimes. I found that ISO 800 on the K10D is acceptable (more so than the K20D was, to me personally) as long as I expose correctly and don't need to lift shadows. The bokeh doesn't have any "ugly" noise like the K20D did. I've even done ISO 1600 with the K10D and didn't regret it (but I immediately regret it when I tried to do anything to the exposure in PP!!)

Don't sell the GX10 once the K-3 is back. It's fun to have both - plus, how much are you going to get for that old camera anyway? The CCD sensor is strangely addicting when out in the nice weather...

Upgrading to 1.30 was very easy, by the way.
08-06-2016, 03:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank for all. Now I must waiting for my parcel to monday... CR I have a 1.3 soft now. When I compare a my shot from CCD (Sony DSC-H50) and CMOS (Sony Cybershot R1) wins a CCD. Colors from CCD is a better for "photo viewer". I think about a sometimes give it a my girlfriend, as a introduction to DSLR. She using a advance level compact.

I heard about a "problems" with ISO in K20D. What make me a wonder.

But about a K10D - Dream is a camera Pentax with monochrome CCD matric like Leica. Without a AA and RGBR filters.