Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you don't mind manual focus
Focus Confirm and Catch In Focus make loving manual focus lenses easy.

08-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you don't mind manual focus, Samyang has a line of fast lenses that are very, very good - great performers even wide open. And affordable.Their 50mm f/1.4 is a top performer. The 85mm f/1.4 is also very good and very cheap! I've seen great pictures from the 35mm f/1.4 and especially from the 24mm f/1.4. And they have a 135mm f/2, and a 14mm f/2.8 that is very well regarded by landscape photographers.
I own 3 samyang lenses and certainly like using manual lenses (actually, majority of my leses are manual ), but I was looking to get a fast af lens as a first lens. So far the DA* 55 1.4 looks like a winner, the only downside being that it's a little expensive, but at least optically it looks well worth the price.

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Focus Confirm and Catch In Focus make loving manual focus lenses easy.
This is actually something I want to explore with Pentax if I end up getting the K-1, I've read about those systems but haven't used them myself.
08-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC the flagship cameras after my K-5 (and some of the more recent mid-range bodies too) have focus peaking in live-view mode, which makes things even better (at least when the ambient light doesn't make looking at the screen difficult). Focus confirm shows as the little hexagon in the viewfinder, which is where my eye spends most of the time when I'm shooting. When I'm in live view it usually means I'm shooting some sort of still life, in which case high LV magnification with careful manual focus and very tight apertures for maximum DOF are the order of the day.
08-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC the flagship cameras after my K-5 (and some of the more recent mid-range bodies too) have focus peaking in live-view mode, which makes things even better (at least when the ambient light doesn't make looking at the screen difficult). Focus confirm shows as the little hexagon in the viewfinder, which is where my eye spends most of the time when I'm shooting. When I'm in live view it usually means I'm shooting some sort of still life, in which case high LV magnification with careful manual focus and very tight apertures for maximum DOF are the order of the day.
Peaking was one of the reasons I loved using my legacy glass on my current camera. Also EVF has peaking, meaning I don't have to use the rear screen most of the time and focus/zoom right in the eye piece. Going to DSLR will take some adjustment for sure)