Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 first lenses to buy?

Hi.

I'm thinking of switching to Pentax system within next few months (as I sell enough of my old gear), what would you advice as first lenses to look at? Is there a full frame 50 1.8 or 1.4 available yet? I know there's a Sigma 35 art which is great, but was thinking to probably start with a 50 first if possible. Do you think sigma will adapt their art series to k mount in future?

Thanks!

08-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Hi.

I'm thinking of switching to Pentax system within next few months (as I sell enough of my old gear), what would you advice as first lenses to look at? Is there a full frame 50 1.8 or 1.4 available yet? I know there's a Sigma 35 art which is great, but was thinking to probably start with a 50 first if possible. Do you think sigma will adapt their art series to k mount in future?

Thanks!
The FA 50mm F1.4 is what I'd go for. You can also opt for the cheaper DA 50mm F1.8. It's advertised as a crop lens, but only vignettes minimally.

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I wouldn't hold my breath for better Sigma support. They aren't going to budge unless they see a big increase in sales...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The FA 50mm F1.4 is what I'd go for. You can also opt for the cheaper DA 50mm F1.8. It's advertised as a crop lens, but only vignettes minimally.

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I wouldn't hold my breath for better Sigma support. They aren't going to budge unless they see a big increase in sales...
Thank you for a suggestion. I see this lens is quite old, does it hold up with a 36mp sensor of k1? User pics with apsc bodies look great.

I see your point regarding Sigma, although I thought there might be a chance since they did release 35 art for the k mount.
08-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you for a suggestion. I see this lens is quite old, does it hold up with a 36mp sensor of k1? User pics with apsc bodies look great.

I see your point regarding Sigma, although I thought there might be a chance since they did release 35 art for the k mount.
I for one would love some of their F1.4 lenses.

But yes, the FA 50mm is still good enough. After all, it's hard to mess up a fifty, right?

There's a new "normal" lens on the roadmap, though. I bet it'll have silent AF and weather sealing.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I for one would love some of their F1.4 lenses.

But yes, the FA 50mm is still good enough. After all, it's hard to mess up a fifty, right?

There's a new "normal" lens on the roadmap, though. I bet it'll have silent AF and weather sealing.
I know what you mean) my current system never got Sigma art series (mft, we only got adapted Sony E apsc lenses), and I'm eyeballing them for few years already)

Would be amazing if Pentax releases more lenses for sure. I'm personally more of a prime shooter, and I'm a little bit worried that maybe this system won't have a lot of lenses designed with high res ff sensor in mind for a while. Body looks simply amazing. Lens selection makes me a bit worried. Lots to think about)
08-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know what you mean) my current system never got Sigma art series (mft, we only got adapted Sony E apsc lenses), and I'm eyeballing them for few years already)

Would be amazing if Pentax releases more lenses for sure. I'm personally more of a prime shooter, and I'm a little bit worried that maybe this system won't have a lot of lenses designed with high res ff sensor in mind for a while. Body looks simply amazing. Lens selection makes me a bit worried. Lots to think about)
Thankfully there are 3 other roadmapped primes, for a total of 4:
2016 Pentax Full Frame Lens Roadmaps - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com

Adam

08-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #7

You may also want to consider the DA* 55mm F1.4 and Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM. Both are designed for digital cameras and work on full frame. There are a few older threads here on the forum comparing the two lenses.

08-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been delighted with the performance of my DA*55 on the K-1. Any new normal lens will need to be pretty outstanding to supplant it.

The other option would be either the DFA 28-105, or DFA 24-70, depending on your budget and needs.
08-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is the FA43 1.9 limited also...

Seb
08-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have been delighted with the performance of my DA*55 on the K-1. Any new normal lens will need to be pretty outstanding to supplant it.

The other option would be either the DFA 28-105, or DFA 24-70, depending on your budget and needs.
Didn't you say the 55* is a bit vignettish around the edges at some apertures? Or am I getting confused here?

OP, I have the FA50/1.4 and consider myself well supplied for AF full-frame fast fifties, given that my photography with it is purely for fun (for work I use the 35 Limited Macro for its close-in capabilities). That isn't to say I'm not wishing for an update, but for now we have something available to us that does the job out the door. If I go to buy my K-1 from a store, I will be taking that lens with me.

The more important thing for Pentax was to get the camera out and have a line of fast, constant-2.8 zooms to cover the same approximate range as the Nikon "Holy Trinity" and this they have achieved. Now they can concentrate on the minutiae.
08-05-2016, 05:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
There is the FA43 1.9 limited also...

Seb
I didn't really like what I got from FA43 on the K-1. But I very much like full frame performance of the FA35 and of course the DFA50/2.8 is simply superb, if you don't mind lack of ultra fast aperture.
08-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank everyone for your input the da* 55 1.4 looks amazing from the samples I found on this forum, so does the 50 1.4. I have a feeling I'd be happy with either of them. The limited lenses look cool, but are a bit too expensive to get right away. Plan was to get few fast primes and save up for at least one of the zooms. Anyway, loads to think about and research. Thanks!
08-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to save a bit of $$, look for a good used copy of the FA 50mm f1.7. Has excellent IQ, and I'll wager if you have a 50mm f1.4, you won't take a picture with that aperture even once per year. After f4, it's essentially impossible to see any difference in IQ.
08-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you want to save a bit of $$, look for a good used copy of the FA 50mm f1.7. Has excellent IQ, and I'll wager if you have a 50mm f1.4, you won't take a picture with that aperture even once per year. After f4, it's essentially impossible to see any difference in IQ.
Mmm, i'm not sure about that I'm coming from 2x crop and I want to experience the full glory of FF shallow dof
08-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

If you don't mind manual focus, Samyang has a line of fast lenses that are very, very good - great performers even wide open. And affordable.Their 50mm f/1.4 is a top performer. The 85mm f/1.4 is also very good and very cheap! I've seen great pictures from the 35mm f/1.4 and especially from the 24mm f/1.4. And they have a 135mm f/2, and a 14mm f/2.8 that is very well regarded by landscape photographers.