Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50mm lens won't behave like it did with your LX in APSC body due to the sensor size, you know that, right? So if you are buying a new lens, for a similar experience on a budget I would suggest the 35mm f/2.4 with your older APSC body of choice.

08-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if focussing will be a problem using a K30. With focus peaking you`ll have good assistance. Using the viewfinder it might be a bit more difficult if you want to nail focus at f1.2, but it is difficult as well when using another (split image) focussing screen: at f1.2 the depth of field can be just very very thin. If the object is in motion, a split image screen might even be disturbing I think.

But another pre for using a f1.2 lens is that the viewfinder will be more bright no matter which f stop you`ll eventually use, and the focussing might be easier because of that. Focussing might also be more accurate compared to a less sensitive lens because of the thin DOF, it `snaps` into focus more obviously. I mean if you focus wide open and take the picture at any smaller aperture. It wouldn`t make sense to only use it at f1.2 I guess?

I would use the extra money that you would pay for the nifty fifty f1.8 to get a dslr with good focus peaking and high resolution lcd screen instead. But I think to also get an AF lens would make sense. Yesterday bought a Tamron 28-80 AF and Tamron 80-210 AF lens in a recycle shop in Tokyo for just 1000 Yen (about 10 dollars). I`m sure they aren`t the best lenses but there is more to photography then sharpness

Maybe this could be interesting;
Pentax Pentax K K 30 16 3 MP Digital SLR Camera White Plus Lens 027075217829 | eBay

Last edited by Barabas; 08-07-2016 at 10:16 PM.
08-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but there have been a number of K-30 bodies that have have apature mechanism problems causing them to malfunction when using A series lenses and newer. However, the cameras work perfectly using manual settins and the green button. You might put a listing in the wanted section of the marketplace for suce a camera. Since most folks do not have manual lenses or shoot manual settings, so you might be able to pick up one of these k-30s for a song. Just a thought.
08-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The 50mm lens won't behave like it did with your LX in APSC body due to the sensor size, you know that, right? So if you are buying a new lens, for a similar experience on a budget I would suggest the 35mm f/2.4 with your older APSC body of choice.
To be honest I didn't remember that but stumbled on a thread where it was explained. Funny that I was just looking at the 35mm when you submitted this reply!

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Not sure if focussing will be a problem using a K30. With focus peaking you`ll have good assistance. Using the viewfinder it might be a bit more difficult if you want to nail focus at f1.2, but it is difficult as well when using another (split image) focussing screen: at f1.2 the depth of field can be just very very thin. If the object is in motion, a split image screen might even be disturbing I think.

But another pre for using a f1.2 lens is that the viewfinder will be more bright no matter which f stop you`ll eventually use, and the focussing might be easier because of that. Focussing might also be more accurate compared to a less sensitive lens because of the thin DOF, it `snaps` into focus more obviously. I mean if you focus wide open and take the picture at any smaller aperture. It wouldn`t make sense to only use it at f1.2 I guess?

I would use the extra money that you would pay for the nifty fifty f1.8 to get a dslr with good focus peaking and high resolution lcd screen instead. But I think to also get an AF lens would make sense. Yesterday bought a Tamron 28-80 AF and Tamron 80-210 AF lens in a recycle shop in Tokyo for just 1000 Yen (about 10 dollars). I`m sure they aren`t the best lenses but there is more to photography then sharpness

Maybe this could be interesting;
Pentax Pentax K K 30 16 3 MP Digital SLR Camera White Plus Lens 027075217829 | eBay
You're right here, it's probably worth it to use the 50mm on a good body than spend the money on new glass and an old body. For some reason I'm picky and hate the white body (and coloured versions), but I'll be watching that to see how much it goes for.

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but there have been a number of K-30 bodies that have have apature mechanism problems causing them to malfunction when using A series lenses and newer. However, the cameras work perfectly using manual settins and the green button. You might put a listing in the wanted section of the marketplace for suce a camera. Since most folks do not have manual lenses or shoot manual settings, so you might be able to pick up one of these k-30s for a song. Just a thought.
It was mentioned by someone once, and looking at the past prices they've sold for it is very appealing (although I can't find any current ones for sale). The problem here is it limits me if I would want to purchase a newer lens. Although, my intention was to use the 50mm as a sole lens for a while until I purchased another. I could also just become an old lens connoisseur and buy some good cheap manual glass. I'm still slightly wary of purchasing a fully functioning K-30 as it would have the possibility of getting the problem.

08-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #50

Why not go for a broken black one? Then you know what you're going to get. On the other hand there are lots if people spending around 2000 dollar now on a K1 without knowing of it has a weak spot at all... a functioning tool can only break down in the end😊

Last edited by Barabas; 08-08-2016 at 04:13 PM.
08-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DanDan Quote
It was mentioned by someone once, and looking at the past prices they've sold for it is very appealing (although I can't find any current ones for sale). The problem here is it limits me if I would want to purchase a newer lens. Although, my intention was to use the 50mm as a sole lens for a while until I purchased another. I could also just become an old lens connoisseur and buy some good cheap manual glass. I'm still slightly wary of purchasing a fully functioning K-30 as it would have the possibility of getting the problem.
Shooting manual is fun, rewarding and educational. Plus, there are literally hundreds of various manual lenses availabe at bargain prices. You stated you were on a very limited budget. K-30 + manual is the way to go but the choice is yours..
08-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Why not go for a broken black one? Then you know what you're going to get. On the other hand there are lots if people spending around 2000 dollar now on a K1 without knowing of it has a weak spot at all... a functioning tool can only break down in the end😊
Especially if it's digital! Broken black K-30 is at the top of my list right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Shooting manual is fun, rewarding and educational. Plus, there are literally hundreds of various manual lenses availabe at bargain prices. You stated you were on a very limited budget. K-30 + manual is the way to go but the choice is yours..
You're right, this is the way to go. The difficulty is finding one. I couldn't find anything recent that sold on eBay that was specified as aperture failure, and the only one over here on PentaxForums was this. I guess I'll have to maintain some patience or donate and create a WTB.
08-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DanDan Quote
Especially if it's digital! Broken black K-30 is at the top of my list right now.

You're right, this is the way to go. The difficulty is finding one. I couldn't find anything recent that sold on eBay that was specified as aperture failure, and the only one over here on PentaxForums was this. I guess I'll have to maintain some patience or donate and create a WTB.
Why not post a "wanted" ad here in the PF Marketplace?

edit: oh, I see you already thought of that! I think it might be your best bet - reaching out to other Pentax owners on the forums. You could also try for a K-50, which is essentially the same camera, and probably easier to find.

09-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #54

I've been considering selling my K10D plus the kit lens it came with. Of course the charger and battery are included and I do have an extra battery as well. The manual is also included. If you saw it you'd consider it to be in excellent to mint condition. I know it's not worth $295 like the one for sale above but I really don't know what to sell it for. If this post is inappropriate please delete it. I'm just trying to help out the OP.

Last edited by BlakeShellman; 09-16-2016 at 11:37 PM.
09-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #55
Pentaxian

K3 for around 300-400$ used, top of the line quality !
09-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
K3 for around 300-400$ used, top of the line quality !
I haven't seen a k3 that cheap yet, that seems lower than most seem to go for.
09-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I haven't seen a k3 that cheap yet, that seems lower than most seem to go for.
with the k1 released, the k3's price will decrease a lot, and I think a 2-year used k3 ~400$ is not unreasonable it depends on the condition and shutter count though ^^
09-21-2016, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I've been considering selling my K10D plus the kit lens it came with. Of course the charger and battery are included and I do have an extra battery as well. The manual is also included. If you saw it you'd consider it to be in excellent to mint condition. I know it's not worth $295 like the one for sale above but I really don't know what to sell it for. If this post is inappropriate please delete it. I'm just trying to help out the OP.
FWIW, I just picked up a K10D with SMC 18-55mm kit lens and battery (no charger or manuals) in great condition on eBay for just under $75, plus shipping. They tend to bring a little more than that, but the seller made what I consider a strategic error—ultimately in my favor—of ending the auction at 3:45 a.m. EDT on Labor Day. I entered my winning bid just before midnight the night before, went to bed, slept late, and awoke to find I had won it without any further bids.
09-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
FWIW, I just picked up a K10D with SMC 18-55mm kit lens and battery (no charger or manuals) in great condition on eBay for just under $75, plus shipping. They tend to bring a little more than that, but the seller made what I consider a strategic error—ultimately in my favor—of ending the auction at 3:45 a.m. EDT on Labor Day. I entered my winning bid just before midnight the night before, went to bed, slept late, and awoke to find I had won it without any further bids.
good price for a camera in goof shape ^^ your 50mm 1.2 will shine again