Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have two thoughts,

1. The lens you have, is worth quite a bit of money. I suspect you can sell the lens and get yourself a nice used k50 + a prime like da 50mm 1.8, a decent zoom like 16-45 and maybe with a little more money get a 55-300 too. That should cover most of your shooting/learning needs.

2. If you really want to use your 50mm 1.2, you need to be able to focus well. Pentax DSLRs with the default focussing screens will not help in using the lens at high apertures. I think the mirrorless cameras are the cost effective solution. A used Samsung nx-30 for example should be gettable for around $225. A pk adapter for around $10. This will allow you to use the 1.2 at 1.4 if not fully open. Sony and Fuji too should have similar equivalents. This setup means you can invest relatively cheap amounts of money for good quality lens (for example old takumar lenses) as long as you are comfortable using manual focus( the evf makes it much easier).

All the best.

08-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, for your budget here you go: Pentax K R 12 4MP Digital SLR Camera Body KR Black 914 | eBay

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 12:32 PM ----------

Or this one: Pentax K R 12 4MP Digital SLR Camera Body KR Black 914 | eBay
08-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All due respect to Pioneer, but I can't recommend the K10D any more. For me, two killer features are missing: Live View (obvious) and the ability to fine tune your AF adjustments.

As the resolution of these cameras went up, I found that every lens has needed a little tweaking for maximum performance. Regardless of brand, each lens will have a little front-focussing or back focussing. Perhaps this is even more true because I buy a lot of used lenses. But even my brand new FA 77mm Limited benefits from a tweak to the AF fine tune.

The K10D didn't have AF fine tune, and I was constantly frustrated. The K20D was an improvement for me, but it was the K7 that really gave me what I needed -- AF fine tune and very usable Live View.

If you will only ever shoot manual focus, at apertures between f/8 and f/22, then ignore my post. But if you will ever put an AF lens on the camera, and want to shoot wide open, then my advice stands.
08-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanDan Quote
Sounds expensive (the split prism screen)I've done some looking at the K-30/50 and less so on the KS-1/2 but they are well out of my range. Maybe I ought to consider the K200d?
The K200D has the same sensor as the K10D, but with a much smaller and darker viewfinder (pentamirror). I wouldn't go that route with the 50 1.2.

QuoteQuote:
The previous thread I linked had me under the impression that the K10D falls under the category of "too old".
I don't think it's too old. They say that about 7 megapixels is what you need to print a picture and view it at a distance where you can see the entire picture. I have not found 10MP to be limiting.

QuoteQuote:
For me the upgrades on the K20D (sensor, ISO, resolution) make it a more viable candidate.
I've had both and I think the K10D has better image quality. But the K20D does have its niceties, and I think it handles better, has better white balance and produces better JPEGs if that's what you want to do.
I honestly don't find the ISO performance that much better than the K10D because even a small bit of noise in the K20D was annoying to me, as it's a much uglier type of noise than the K10D.
But I don't think you can go wrong either way. The K20D certainly handles very, very well IMHO.

QuoteQuote:
I do think the K10/20D would be great to learn on and would make me appreciate a more "feature rich" camera in the future. I almost want to purposely buy a much older body for that reason.
I think you are right about that The K20D was the camera I learned on for a few years before I got anything else. Good luck and don't forget to come back and post pictures

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
For me, two killer features are missing: Live View (obvious)
From what he is saying, I don't think he can afford a camera with live view. The K-S1 would be the most affordable option (along with the K-01, as they both cost about the same in the used market these days). But he says he can't afford them.
I've been using the viewfinder for my lenses for years by the way. I finally bought a camera with live view/focus peaking (K-S1) but haven't really used it much in practice. I just prefer a nice optical viewfinder.

QuoteQuote:
and the ability to fine tune your AF adjustments.
He wants to use manual lenses, it's even in the title of the thread....

08-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Don't get anything without focus peaking. It really makes a huge difference at 1.2.

A matte focusing screen helps, but if you don't have excellent eyesight, I don't think it helps enough, at least not at 1.2. Maybe 1.8.
08-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
From what he is saying, I don't think he can afford a camera with live view. The K-S1 would be the most affordable option (along with the K-01, as they both cost about the same in the used market these days). But he says he can't afford them..
K20D has live view, as does the K-7. I found the K20D live view to be rudimentary. The K-7 live view works well.
08-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds expensive (the split prism screen). What is it exactly? I've done some looking at the K-30/50 and less so on the KS-1/2 but they are well out of my range. Maybe I ought to consider the K200d?

Sorry for not clarifying a budget (or even the kinds of photos I want to take which is usually helpful). I thought it might be inferred by the models I was considering. I think the maximum I want to go at this moment would be $200 (dare I say in CAD?). As for set of specs I don't have anything specific (not a pun). I did want to make a thread for my own situation just because of the lens. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any places around here that are guaranteed to have a couple older Pentax bodies I could compare. I could definitely go try out new bodies, but that would just make me envious!

I actually took a long break and returned to the forums just to research the K-01 a while ago. My lack of quick reply to this thread was because I saw your comment then went and looked through the whole https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/205155-lets-see-your-new-k01.html. The 50mm would look great on the K-01 and it would be such an ergonomic set-up compared to the other bodies I've been looking at. The main thing that uninterested me in the K-01 was the lack of built-in optical viewfinder. I know you can get an aftermarket one but it just isn't the same. Seriously considering it now.

Yeah I've always known the K-7 was my frontrunner. Your image quality comment really tempts me on the K-01, but I do really like the traditional SLR layout.

I don't have the budget for the K-3 but thanks for your input on the K-7!

I was intrigued by the K-S1 but it's still out of my budget! I spent enough time away from Pentax news that I was surprised by the existence of the K-S1/2.

The previous thread I linked had me under the impression that the K10D falls under the category of "too old". Obviously there are people that hold the opinion that nothing is too old, and the K10D club is still going strong for good reason. For me the upgrades on the K20D (sensor, ISO, resolution) make it a more viable candidate. I do think the K10/20D would be great to learn on and would make me appreciate a more "feature rich" camera in the future. I almost want to purposely buy a much older body for that reason.

Ah the K-1, but a dream for a guy like me...

Thanks I had no clue about that source, the price seems a bit steep compared to eBay right now though!

I have recently bought a Samsung GX10 (K10D with minimal differences) with a Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, battery (plus another, generic battery) and charger for £50.11 including postage on Ebay. I think that is about 85 dollars Canadian.

I did not expect to win it at this price and was happy to win it as it is a pretty good camera and was a fair leap up from the K100D super I had already, my first Pentax DSLR. I was sort of interested in getting one as there seem to be many K10D owners who are very happy with it and it's images. As I also have a K20D and a K-R and a K-5 my body count is probably ridiculous but what the heck, I sold my Canon for what I had aid for it and variety is the spice of life.

You might just scour the Pentax (or Samsung) DSLR cameras being sold for a while, hope to get a similar bargain K10D (or 20D or K7) and bank on recouping your outlay by selling it on when you have a better idea of what you would prefer in the way of resolution, weight, size, Optical or electronic viewfinder, max shutter speed etc.
While you are waiting you can read up on the other Pentax cameras for future choice.

08-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The focusing screen pricing is variable - check focusingscreens.com
08-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
K20D has live view, as does the K-7. I found the K20D live view to be rudimentary. The K-7 live view works well.
Yeah... I don't even consider the K20D live view to be useful - certainly not for focusing with manual lenses (230k screen...)

It is only useful if it has focus peaking, so in older cameras like K-7 and K-5 (and especially K20D), it's not going to help at all.
08-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The K-7 will serve you well - manual focusing on any DSLR will be a bit tiresome but I got very used to it on the K-7 and could usually hit focus with my Chinon 50mm f1.4, and the focus confirmation is very accurate. Live view with peaking is probably out of your budget (except if you grab a bargain K-01, which I also use, and it is indeed fantastic for manual lenses), so a used K-7 will probably be your best bet.
08-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
Forum Member

Maybe I ought to consider the K200d?
You won't be disappointed. Yeah, there are some caveats. The viewfinder is a bit dimmer than my K-50. But with an auto-aperture F/1.2 lens I can't see that being much of an issue. With a $200 CAD budget you will be making some compromises. Image quality won't be one of them, though (assuming you keep the ISO reasonable).

I drool over the latest and greatest cameras like everyone else. But I wanted a second camera and when I found a K200D for $129 CAD I snapped it up without hesitating. It's a steal, so far as I'm concerned! In the end, it's good light and interesting subject matter that make good pictures, more so than high-end cameras.
08-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For manual focusing you can't beat focus peaking, a split prism is very good too but it just isn't available for all the DSLRs. I had a K20D, great camera but live view was useless and it was hard for me to manually focus, focus peaking changed that.
08-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could also look for a broken K-50 or K-30 - one with the aperture block problem. In theory this will allow you to meter using green button if they have the underexposure problem (always stops down in automatic aperture modes). While that's not ideal it does bring a very modern camera to your price range. Some say that premature shutter failure will occur over time with cameras in this condition but I know several members here who use them with M42 lenses and don't seem to have issues long term. Several tested the use of manual aperture control and found it worked if the lens had an aperture ring and they used it in the Green Button stop down mode.
08-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the lens you're using, and your budget, I think the K-01 makes a lot of sense. No, it doesn't have a viewfinder, but...it has a modern 16 mpx sensor with great ISO performance, and focus peaking to let you take advantage of that f/1.2. I've seen them on the PF Marketplace for as low as $200 US or so. If you must have a viewfinder, then the best buys in the flagship bodies would be the K10D or K-7 at the moment. It seems the K20D still commands a bit more these days, and also remains a good camera.
08-05-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any body with a pentamirror would be off my list (K-100D, K110D, K2000, K200D, K-x, K-r).
Any body without front & rear dials would be off my list (K100D, K110D, K-m/K2000, K200D, K-x, K-r, K-01, K-S1).
Any body without a viewfinder would be off my list. (K-01)

I would also be leary of the K-30, K-500 and K-50. Great value cameras, but too many reports of failed shutters.

A significant advantage of the flagship bodies (K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5, K-3) is the quieter shutter. I had a K20D and K-x at the same time and there was a big difference in sound. The K20D is not nearly as quiet as my K-3, but the CLACK sound of the K-x was sometimes embarrassing. The K100D Super was very noisy too, but not quite as loud as the K-x,

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-05-2016 at 04:48 PM.