Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
How [d]o you adjust the ISO like you guys are showing? 640, 1000, 1250 etc... I assume in the TAV mode but I want to be sure.
Pat,

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how to adjust the ISO? Two basic ways:
  1. Normal way to adjust ISO in any shooting mode: click Fn button on back of camera, then use the UI there to set the ISO to any specific number. Note that, in certain modes at least, you can use the Fn menu's UI to set the ISO to Auto, in which case you define the range within which Auto ISO must operate.
  2. You can skip the Fn button by simply clicking the OK button in the middle of the four-way controller. Hold the OK button down, then use the front e-dial to adjust ISO. If you're looking through the finder while doing this, you'll see the ISO nr change as you move the e-dial. This is how I do it most of the time. Note that you can't set the ISO to Auto using this method, and if the Fn menu setting was Auto beforehand, using this method will take it out of Auto and set it to the fixed value you select.
TAv mode simply allows you to control shutter and aperture as if you were in manual mode, while letting the camera adjust only the ISO within the range you specify. You specify the ISO range using the Fn menu as in #1 above.

If you're asking why you'd set the ISO to, say, 1100 or whatever rather than something else, that boils down to, why would you ever use anything other than 100? Some people don't. But those of us who do shoot at higher ISO settings do so because we need to. I need a certain shutter speed to freeze action (and reduce the effects of camera shake). I need a certain aperture for the depth of field I want - or I have to use f/2.8 (or whatever) because that's as wide as my lens goes. Given those two requirements, ISO is what I'm left with.

Notice that, if aperture and shutter speed really were always the more important considerations, then I'd just shoot in TAv mode all the time. But it's more complicated than that. Both shutter speed and aperture are also negotiable. I can't open the aperture wider than the lens permits, and I can't really shoot below a certain minimum speed for a given subject (say, 1/60th sec for a portrait, 1/250th sec for sports), so there are hard barriers. But in a lot of situations there's actually some "wiggle room" in aperture or shutter speed or both, and on the other hand I do NOT want to go above a certain ISO. In fact, that is how it is most of the time. Normally, I set my ISO and leave it alone for the duration of the shoot.

For what it's worth, I almost never have the luxury of shooting at ISO 100. I would guess that, if I tallied up the data from the 10,000+ images I've taken in the last 12 months, my average ISO setting is 400 or perhaps slightly higher.

If you're asking something else and your question hasn't been answered, please clarify.

Will

07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot at 800 quite a bit and have had good pictures. No complaints. Sorry, but I haven't shot much above that so I can't comment. I try to shoot at the lowest ISO needed. As Flyer mentioned, getting the exposure just right makes a big difference with noise levels. Thats why we bracket in not so good light.
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

I've posted this before:
ISO 1600 f/2.0 @ 1/30 No tripod
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Personally, I find iso 800 to be qutie usable. Especially if shooting raw. Above that, you have to be crafty.

Goiong higher, I can shoot in raw and push the exposure in psot slightly with some custom noise reduction in post and get a fairly clean shot, especially if the intended use is web display witht he associated compression and scaling.

For large prints, I doubt I would go past 800.

07-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Hi Dominique

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your illuminated night photograph of that quartet of pharaohs looks utterly fantastic.....although if it had been me, I would have been tempted to "clone" the head of it's near neighbour to make a perfect foursome, something like this.....LOL !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-24-2009 at 05:44 AM.
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I am about to ask the stupidest question and hope no one that knows how long I have been using the K10 notices. How to you adjust the ISO like you guys are showing? 640,1000,1250 etc... I assume in the TAV mode but I want to be sure.
Yeah, the key is to go into the custom menu and set EV to 1/3 steps. The default is 1/2 steps. Then you'll get more fine tuning.
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You have a private message.

You're too nice, Tom. I'm going to "out" Pat in public!