Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I'm a AA fan, because I too would rather have just one kind of battery for all my photo equipment. I chose a Kx in 2011 for my first DSLR, because we were going to Germany and I knew I could find AA's anywhere if my rechargables ran out. I upgraded a bit to a K50 (and gave the Kx to my hubby) because it at least gives you the option of Li109 or the adapter with AAs. Why does this option seem to have gone by the wayside? I'm not fond of the adapter, but it does save fumbling with 4 batteries. I'm thinking of getting a second adapter, but, to date, it hasn't been a problem. I have Maha's smart charger and it keeps my Powerex and Duracell rechargables in great shape since I can condition them when needed. If someone made a charger like the Maha, that would charge both the flats and round batteries at the same time and condition and could do 8 at a time, that would be the ticket!!

12-17-2021, 04:16 AM   #17

For me the critical point is to use as little types of batteries as possible. So having different types for Flash and Camera is not so good.
I've been wondering why the flash units cannot use camera's battery.
Or why new cameras do not use 18650 types.

(Yes, it's old thread, but I'm new here so could not reply earlier. )
12-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello thread from 2017! No hatin here on this wonderful Friday morning. All 4 of my Pentax cameras use the D-LI90 batter which has performed remarkably well. Even ones from when I got my K-5II in 2013 are still performing well somehow. I won't consider using AA batteries in my camera body but the Amazon 2400 mAH rechargable AA's have been good for my flashes.
12-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I prefer to minimise the number of different battery types in use but we often don't really get a lot of choice in the matter. The batteries in my K30/K50/K-3ii cameras are fine. I'd prefer one type only but it's not a big deal. However, my first DSLR was a K100D and I was quite happy at purchase that it used AA batteries - I'd then recently bought a number of AA rechargeables. Unfortunately, the situation very rapidly developed that every time I went to use the camera the batteries were discharged or the camera shut down very quickly after turning it on. Often, newly charged batteries indicated as empty. Using non-rechargeable cells sometimes gave a little life but the situation meant I took very few photos.

Moving on a few years(of disuse) I bought a K30 but also did more research and tests. I tried CRV3 batteries and these worked as they should, and lasted ages. They were, relatively, expensive though. I'd replaced my earlier AA rechargeables with Eneloops as these were used in my flash gun. When the CRV3s ran out of charge, I tried the Eneloops in the K100D which appears quite happy with them so the Eneloops can now be used in my flash unit, the K100D and the grip on my K-3ii.

12-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I literally found this forum due to the fact that the Pentax *Ist-Dl used AA batteries but sometimes wouldn't turn on. I ended up buying a K-5 from the marketplace and it has been happy sailing since.
12-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #21

y0chang, so it's true what I've herd many times: AA are the best battery ever :-D
12-25-2021, 01:57 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is very simple:

Only original Pentax Li-Ion batteries have the 3-rd contact (D-LI90) or 4-th contact (D-LI109 and late D-LI90 versions)

The 4-th contact is law in Japan, but the 3-rd contact is a temperature-sensor.

ONLY the orig. Pentax Li-Ion chargers can measure the temperature!

3-rd party Li-Ions trick that temperature-sensor with a resistor (check my reviews on Li-Ions and chargers)

3-rd party chargers usually have only 2 contacts and are quick-chargers which stresses the Li-Ion!

AA's: Only Eneloops by Panasonic or if you want them made in Japan FUJITSU!

Nothing else plus a really good charger!

12-25-2021, 01:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate particular D-LI109 3-rd party Li-Ions:
One reason I gave in my previous post but:

These bastards particular often swell and then are stuck in the battery compartment of a K30/50/500/K-S1/K-S2 and K70.
That can brick that tiny grey battery-hook except on the K-S1 were it is stronger:
How to exchange battery-hook on Pentax K-30/K-50/K-70/K-500 and K-S2 - PentaxForums.com

Sometimes but less often the D-LI90 clones swell as well.
01-15-2022, 01:34 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I much prefer Eneloops over the D-Li109 in my K-30, mostly because they last longer, though they do seem to give less warning before running out. It's also nice that I can grab another set from one of my flashes in a pinch.

Recently they've also been operating the aperture block far better than the D-Li109.
I have exactly the same experience on K-50
01-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which one do I hate? Perhaps love/hate is more applicable. I appreciate the utility of NiMH AA's, but seems most things I own take an odd number off batteries, but most chargers only charge in pairs.

For cameras, I stick with Li-ions. Less bulk and longer lasting on a charge.
01-16-2022, 08:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

NiMH are great. Alkaline are the devil, exploding and ruining electronics.
01-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
NiMH are great. Alkaline are the devil, exploding and ruining electronics.
There are NiMH's and NiMH's:
Most NiMH's lose charge quite quickly, that was their downside when they came after NiCd.
NiCd's had that bad problem called memory-effect
but some NiMH's had that problem as well.
I remember when for my orig. "made in Japan" Makita cordless drills and screwdrivers which used NiCd's NiMH's were offered.
The NiMH battery had more power (3A against 2,1A of the NiCd's). It was nice at the beginning, the power and capacity was superior
but when not used the NiMH was empty after 2 month or so and needed to be checked regularely because if it discharged too much is was finished.
After 3 years the NiMH was useless but I still can use the NiCD's which now are over 11 years old and only now start to lose capactiy.
The other ones which I purchased 2013 are still fine
The two Li-Ion batteries of another 14V Makita purchased 2014 is getting weak as well.

Amazingly early 2006 Li-Ions from my K10D are still alright!

I also have a few made in Japan D-LI90's since years which still are very great.
01-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There are NiMH's and NiMH's:
Most NiMH's lose charge quite quickly, that was their downside when they came after NiCd.
This isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. I use them for mission critical stuff all the time with no issues.
01-28-2022, 09:46 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

Amazingly early 2006 Li-Ions from my K10D are still alright!

I also have a few made in Japan D-LI90's since years which still are very great.
Yes , I also have K10D with original batteries ( one is not even Pentax ) and all still going strong.

The biggest nuisance is probably D-LI68 ( batteries for the "Q" ) , they do not hold much charge and each time when i change battery in any Q need to reenter Date/Time ,
but yes they are very small.

Yes , and I still like AA very much , unfortunately my , both K-30 & K-50 are "dead" , need new White solenoid ( made in Japan ) and they are not available new anymore.....
01-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
This isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. I use them for mission critical stuff all the time with no issues.
If you use NiMH's all the time then you won't notice discharge that quickly.
My experience was with Japan-made NiMH cells against NiCd cells (made in Japan)

and most NiMH rechargeable AA's which were not Eneloops (or those made by Panasonic or Fujitsu for others) discharged much quicker, particular when left charged for a longer period.