Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

AF Speed and Accuracy from K10D to Now

Hi, I have a K10D, I will travel to canada(I live in southamerica) and my idea is to take advantage of the trip and prices, to buy lens and a new camera.
I like my k10D but I really have problems with AF speed and accuracy, and I would like to someone, who had a K10 and in this moments use a K50, a KS2 or a K3, tell me about the improvements that Pentax did from k10 to now. (maybe the af assist lamp in new models, that the k10d doesn't have, it's a good improvement, but the af assis lamp from my flash(Metz 48 AF-1) isn't too effective)

I saw those 3 models and the K70 to choose my next Pentax Camera.

I'm amatuer, my primary use is to take good pictures from my childrens and the trips/vacations.
I mainly use a Sigma17-70 (1ed), also I have a couples of manual lens (m28,m50,m135,m200)

Regards

Sorry if my english is not so clear

Last edited by mephiska; 08-11-2016 at 04:31 PM.
08-11-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mephiska Quote
I like my k10D but I really have problems with AF speed and accuracy, and I would like to someone, who had a K10 and in this moments use a K50, a KS2 or a K3, tell me about the improvements that Pentax did from k10 to now.
I upgraded from the K10D to a K-3 two years ago and the difference in AF performance is significant. In summary:
  • Faster, even with screw-drive lenses
  • Better precision with fast glass
  • Much better tracking performance
  • Low light performance is "night and day" better, even without the AF assist lamp
I really liked my K10D, but the K-3 is in an different league in all regards.

Steve
08-11-2016, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of all of them I'd do the K3 mainly for the build quality and more AF points.
08-11-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I use my K10d still, but in terms of AF, metering and white balance, even my lowly K-S1 is much better. But the K10D definitely has some magic to its colors and rendering, so I still have use for it, every time I want to have a certain artistic vibe for a picture, that's what I go for

08-11-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The biggest improvement was the K-5 IIs, IMO, which added really good low-light capabilities (-3EV). This was carried on to all future flagship models, the K-S2, and K-70. Tracking is a bit better on the K-3/K-1, too. In the grand scheme of things, the evolution has been incremental from model to model, but definitely noticeable overall. A newer body will thus feel like a huge upgrade compared to the K10D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2016, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Screw drived lens are much faster on the K1 compared to K10
08-12-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #7

I went from a K10D to a K5II a couple of years ago (took advantage of the K3 release to get a good price on the K5II). The difference is quite litterally night and day

1. AF.C on my K10D was nearly useless, I got better results going manual with fast moving subjects. On the K5II it's an entirely viable tactic to go AF.C and 11 point automatic select at a falconry display.
2. The K5II can focus in the dark. With my 50mm f1.4 mounted, it can focus on things I can't even see through the viewfinder.
3. The K5II (like most recent bodies) has per-lens fine AF adjustment. This has transformed my 16-45 from a disapointment into a stack of primes, and means I can actually use f1.4 with confidence with the 50mm.
4. The K5II focusses correctly under tungsten lighting. My K10D always had issues with the focus point moving for tungsten light, the K5 has no such problems.

I loved my K10D, but autofocus was always a weakness. That weakness is entirely solved in my K5II.

Last edited by Tekmongoose; 08-12-2016 at 05:42 AM.
08-12-2016, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I concur with Tekmongoose. I upgraded from K10 to K5, and that was a huge boost in every category. Now I'm using a K3II which is mostly different in faster focusing for screwdrive lenses - noticable with the FA100 f2.8 macro, and the removal of the anti-aliasing filter. That's been good for my macro. Autofocus accuracy - I'm sure it's better but I'm not using both cameras side-by-side so it's hard to quantify. I also use the GPS in field work, which now allows me to mount a ringflash while gathering GPS data. That's been nice.

Though I do wonder what I could do with the K10 now. I sold it a while ago. I did add a split-focus screen, which was nice. Given the conditions I'm using for my insect photography, if I removed the AA filter from a K10 how nice would the images be with that old CCD sensor? I'm shooting at ISO 100, f/16 at 1/160 (max synch) and a Sunpak ringflash in manual pop. That all sounds well within the K10's parameters. Though it's certainly easier with the K3II, and at ISO 100 there is absolutely no noise and plenty of room to adjust an underexposed image.

I'll add I won't go for a camera without the top LCD display, I use that all the time, rarely even checking the in-viewfinder display.

Last edited by TER-OR; 08-12-2016 at 06:10 AM.
08-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I did add a split-focus screen
Hi TER-OR, Do you remember which focus screen did you buy? whats about metering with it? Another think that i would like is left the K10 for manual lens, but I will need the divided focus screen

Thanks to everyone for the answers!!!!!!!!!! Now is time to decide the model......(and budget)

Regards
08-12-2016, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I had the K10 and the low light performance was terrible. had this big camera around my neck and people wanted to see the pics, only to show them mostly blurred or very grainy pics.
I still have the K5iis along with the K3.. the best thing that happened to me is having the K10 die in a rain storm... it is THAT much better. your keeper rate of kids running or using high ISO is just that much better

good luck!

Randy
08-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
had this big camera around my neck and people wanted to see the pics, only to show them mostly blurred
Jajajaj, I lived that too.
08-12-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mephiska Quote
Hi TER-OR, Do you remember which focus screen did you buy? whats about metering with it? Another think that i would like is left the K10 for manual lens, but I will need the divided focus screen

Thanks to everyone for the answers!!!!!!!!!! Now is time to decide the model......(and budget)

Regards
It was one from Jinfinance, installing it was straightforward but did take some finesse. Metering in daylight seemed fine, but once the light dropped to twilight it was tricky. I have not installed one in my K5 or K3II. I find manual focusing with these cameras isn't bad, and sometimes drop into manual when I'm in the field. It's not as difficult to see the focus in the viewfinder as you may think. Perched Dragonflies are usually my target for that, if they're against a noisy background.

So I haven't missed the K10 with split screen, but do wonder what I could do with it now.
08-15-2016, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #13

another point which is entirely subjective, I remember the first time I picked up a K5 thinking "wow, the metal body really feels like it means business". Although the K10D is actually pretty hard waring, the magnesium alloy body of the newer flagships just feels more solid (to me).
08-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Original Poster
and... between entry level and mid-level

ok, I know that are differents line of products, and not exactly the same....but the price right now is the double between: a k3 with 18-135 and a k-50 with 18-55(I like to have wireless flash, ks2 and k70 doesn't has).

AF differs a lot? remember I just have the K10 and if it imposible to test another model in my country, also I don't know if I will have time to go to a store or I will need to buy from internet to delivery in the hotel.

Thanks for take your time to answer....

Regards

Last edited by mephiska; 08-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.
08-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #15

I would expect a noticeable difference in AF performance between those two kits, the K3 has more af points which are also more sensitive (at least the centre ones are). It was also designed to be a flagship with a specific focus on putting to bed Pentax's poor reputation for auto focus, while the K50 is a very capable enthusiastic consumer camera, it is just not in the same league.

Also the 18-135 is a very different beast from the 18-55, not just in focal length but it has the dc silent focusing motor which is very quick indeed.