Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is an upgrade from a K3 to a K3ii worth it?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase a K3ii. I currently own a K3 and K5. From what I have read about pixel shifting and it's application (on a tripod) and still subject it's not worth the money for me. The same holds true for the GPS and star tracking. My main reason for considering the upgrade is I have heard the AFS And AFC are much faster/accurate in the K3II. Is this true? Are there any other upgrades that I am not aware of? Thanks for reading my post.

08-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mick. The K-3II also has received the firmware update to be able to use the new KAF4 lenses. At the moment there is only 1, the new 55-300. The K-3 did not get that update. Any future KAF4 lenses will not be able to be used on any body older than the K-3II. Cheers.
08-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF modules in the two cameras are identical. The K-3 II has gotten some minor software tweaks for focusing on subjects rapidly approaching the camera. Accuracy and performance should otherwise be the same.

My recommendation would be to wait for whatever comes next, or replace the K-5 with the K-3 II for now if you plan to replace both bodies in the short term.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the great replies....🖒

08-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I wouldn't bother upgrading to a K-3II from a K-3. Hold out until the next generation APS-C flagship. There should be a notable performance upgrade then.

Now if you didn't have a K-3 & wanted one, I'd more than likely steer you towards the K-3II for the slight AF enhancement & the ability to use the upcoming KAF4 lenses. That to me is worth more than built-in flash & wireless flash capability. Different strokes for different folks. 😜
08-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you waited to see what the next aps-c model (update to K-3 II) looks like, you could weigh the differences, then make a decision. If you wanted to replace your K-5 earlier than that, the K-3II will give you great detail, reliable AF, and will have compatibility with the KAF4 lens mount.
08-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
I am trying to decide whether to purchase a K3ii. I currently own a K3 and K5. From what I have read about pixel shifting and it's application (on a tripod) and still subject it's not worth the money for me. The same holds true for the GPS and star tracking. My main reason for considering the upgrade is I have heard the AFS And AFC are much faster/accurate in the K3II. Is this true? Are there any other upgrades that I am not aware of? Thanks for reading my post.
I had a K-3 then upgraded to a K-3II. It was just about worth it (for me). But ....

That was about a year ago. Knowing what I know now, and a year later, I would now wait for the replacement to the K-3II and buy that instead.

08-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a k-3II and I haven't used a k-3. But judging from those who've had both I'd wait a while if I were you. Maybe the k-3II replacement will come next year with a much better improvement.
08-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

I upgraded from the K30 to K3 II. Truthfully though if I had the K3 I'm not sure I'd recommend the upgraded. The pixel shift is something I'm still learning to use, and the software both proprietary and 3rd party is still playing catch up. As of April of this year there was a known issue with PS & LR in development of pixel shift images. Haven't had time to really test the latest update, but it appears that it might work now. Even Utility 5 was only updated this spring. I will say that if you have the right subject, the pixel shift is fantastic!!!