Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pro Pentax Kit Tested

I borrowed the new K20D + DA SDM 16-50mm f/2.8, DA SDM 200mm f/2.8, DA SDM 300mm f/4

Exceptional kit, very light compared to the canon / nikon equivalents.

Photos are here: Testing Pentax Kit: July 2008

I think they speak for themselves?

Any questions?

07-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like my kit. I don't have the DA*300 (yet) but hope to soon. I can't compare my kit to another brand, but I'm very happy with the results I get. I suppose if money were no object, I'd spring for the D3, but as it is, I think my K20D matches up fairly well with the D300 from what I've seen, especially considering the price difference.

Nice shots, BTW!
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Ed,

Great pictures indeed!

I have two questions for you that I am PMing you now!

Later

BB
07-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

I'm just trying to help, don't be mad at me:

at your web gallery it says:" Ed Stone Photogrpahy "

Just want to help as I said...

Also, I like your gallery layout - could you tell me what software did you use?

07-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha thanks I didn't even spot that typo!

I use the web module in lightroom for the client pages.

The Turning Gate / Lightroom

for my website I used iWeb using frames for each photo rather than having straight edges etc.

I'm not really using fancy software/tools just using what I have. Un-like those wanabees with pro spec canons that can't take photos :P
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I borrowed the new K20D + DA SDM 16-50mm f/2.8, DA SDM 200mm f/2.8, DA SDM 300mm f/4

Exceptional kit, very light compared to the canon / nikon equivalents.

Photos are here: Testing Pentax Kit: July 2008

I think they speak for themselves?

Any questions?
Sorry, I actually cannot get much information and idea for how good or how bad the pics your borrowed kit produced, owing to that the posted pics are too small and also that many of the shooting subjects are not so meaningful (IMHO). I think I have already clicked almost ten pages there..
07-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How ever did you manage with contact sheets?

Yes I didn't do many boring tests testing each f stop etc I'm not a techy I'm a photographer.

The photos show the equipment is capable of exceptional photographs.

Yes there's a lot but I thought it'd be better to show more than less?

Anyway if you don't like them that's your opinion, but....

I borrowed the kit to see if it was capable of producing professional grade photographs at the glastonbury festival this year and it was. There could be a whole load more band photos but the press pass system was very poorly organised so I chose to go for the more unusual photos.

What would you have done?

07-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
so that many of the shooting subjects are not so meaningful (IMHO).
Please, please please RH show us some samples of yuor meaningful photos I would love to see them.

As to the OP your shots are awesome and i don't think they are just a result of the photographic equipment either.
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Please, please please RH show us some samples of yuor meaningful photos I would love to see them.
He won't do that, that will cut into his obsessive Pentax Bashing time !!
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
also that many of the shooting subjects are not so meaningful (IMHO)
meaningful is a subjective term and has absolutely no role here other than individual opinions. individual opinions on photographic subject matter in no way effect the quality of the photographer nor the equipment he/she uses nor the photographs he/she produces with said equipment. please find a different aspect to put down ricehigh.
07-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In response to RH's typical post you wrote:

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
How ever did you manage with contact sheets?
HE'S NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!!! He wouldn't know a contact sheet from contact paper.

He only knows how to complain and complain and complain about Pentax. Anything he says that may be marginally justifiable simply gets lost in the mix of his pathological mantra against Pentax.

Stephen
07-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can we at least see a Polaroid?

That is indeed a good kit, though personally I would love a lens to somewhat fill the 50-200 gap

Ed, did you have to make any in-camera focusing adjustments for any of those lenses, or did you use them as is?

Love the concert and construction detail images. Great stuff!
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A nice set of shots, dopeytree! I especially like the ones of the Glastonbury environs (the bunnies are delightful), but the festival shots are interesting in their own right. The lenses you used are tops on my LBA list right now; I'm pretty sure you'd have enjoyed having a DA*50-135 along, too.
07-29-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

with all fairness to RH - he doesn't have a way with words ;-)

I think what he was trying to convey was, that the pics (could find no link to a larger sample) portrayed do not do justice to the equipment used, in terms of resolution etc - not the type of picture taken.

Based on just the reduced sized pics - they could have been taken with any decent zoom cam from 3mp upwards - if I was unaware of the equipment used.

There are enough pics in the forum gallery from diff photographers, links to Flikr etc which do more than enough justice for the equipment used and of course a brilliant photographer.

Any lens test must provide at least some full resolution examples - unless I missed something on the website
D