Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed on the K-5 II or IIs vs "classic" K-5 for improved autofocus. I doubt there is much savings going with the K-5 vs. a K-5 II anyway. f4 max aperture is fine. I wouldn't bother with that 15-30, it's huge and heavy and you don't need full frame coverage like it offers. There's a lot of good reviews of both the Sigma 10-20's or the Pentax 12-24. I've not used any of those lenses so I could only repeat what is already written elsewhere. Like this comparison that covers all the lenses you're talking about; DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews One thing to note is the weight; the Sigma's are all much heavier than the Pentax.

I'm trying to think of a way to integrate the 12-24 into your existing collection of lenses and it's not quite working in my head without a 16-50 or some other "standard zoom". There is your kit 18-55 and that A 50. Maybe the other folks contributing can parse that question.

08-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm trying to think of a way to integrate the 12-24 into your existing collection of lenses and it's not quite working in my head without a 16-50 or some other "standard zoom". There is your kit 18-55 and that A 50. Maybe the other folks contributing can parse that question.
I think one of the Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24, his 18-55 (II), and his fast fifty would work great. If he wants a long lens then the long zoom he has can round out the collection to 4.
08-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
is Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 DC HSM for Pentax fast enough?
Yes. The high ISO capabilities of the K-5 will more than compensate for that.
QuoteQuote:
or do I need a 2.8 like Pentax D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR.
Unless you plan to move to the K-1 soon, that's waaaayyy too much lens to take travelling. I took it to England recently (with a K-1), and although it is awesome it is a big commetment to carry around.
QuoteQuote:
Maybe Pentax 12-24mm f/4 ED AL IF smcP-DA...is f4 fast enough inside the buildings?
Maybe Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM smcP-DA
Either of these two would be my choices. The DA*16-50 is very well weather sealed if that makes a difference to you.
08-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Ah, yeah, if it is the second iteration of the DA-L 18-55, I would call that 'good enough'. 12-24, 18-55, and a fast 50. Boom, kit defined!

08-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Will be going my self in a little over a month. This thread has been helpful. I wish I still had my Sigma 10-20, but think I will opt for the DA*16-50, the 50-135 and either the 31 or 43 Limited. We will also be out in the countryside (Bellagio, Orvieto) at times, so having some added length with the 50-135 might be helpful. Will bring my K-3 so hopefully the speed of the lenses and ISO will work for most indoors shots.
08-17-2016, 05:49 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Someone else mentioned ICE for stitching - did you try that? I only recently started using it and while it is pretty good I have gotten some glitches and don't really know how to fix things when it doesn't work. It does allow pretty nice high resolution landscapes with a wide perspective and most of the time works great - but I would like to be more adept at fixing glitches within it.
Nope I haven't heard of it, but I'll check it out. Thanks!
Chris
08-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Slightly off-topic...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I took the 20-40mm Ltd only and was very happy with the results and versatility. It is pretty small and light, and very easy to carry around wherever. Perhaps I would have added the 15mm Ltd in retrospect...
In March, I went overseas (Melbourne, Australia) with every DA Limited prime except the 35 Macro (my work lens, wasn't going to risk losing it abroad and had no real need for the macro function). I found that the 21 and 40 spent most time on my camera, the 70 made a rare appearance and I could have done without it (the long minimum focal distance was crippling), but there were times when the 15 was necessary. I at last understood the rationale for the 20-40 (especially since it's WR), but since I already had all the DA Limited primes it seemed an indulgence to buy it.

Shortly after that, the K-1 was revealed in all its glory and I knew it would be my next DSLR, and as the 20-40 does not support full-frame it became even more of an indulgence. Definitely not one for my roadmap. But for those sticking with an APS-C camera and who haven't got a pile of Limited primes already, yeah, it definitely has a place in a dense urban environment. 15-40 DC WR, perhaps constant f/4, would possibly be even better, but for now I think that's unnecessary duplication. I have Tilley's Vest of Many Pockets, which I find quite bearable to wear in hot weather, and that has all the pockets a photographer could wish for; taking a 15 and a 20-40 would be no issue for me, but in light of my own past experience I feel the OP's needs are better served by renting something even wider.
08-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Slightly off-topic...

In March, I went overseas (Melbourne, Australia) with every DA Limited prime except the 35 Macro (my work lens, wasn't going to risk losing it abroad and had no real need for the macro function). I found that the 21 and 40 spent most time on my camera, the 70 made a rare appearance and I could have done without it (the long minimum focal distance was crippling), but there were times when the 15 was necessary. I at last understood the rationale for the 20-40 (especially since it's WR), but since I already had all the DA Limited primes it seemed an indulgence to buy it.

Shortly after that, the K-1 was revealed in all its glory and I knew it would be my next DSLR, and as the 20-40 does not support full-frame it became even more of an indulgence. Definitely not one for my roadmap. But for those sticking with an APS-C camera and who haven't got a pile of Limited primes already, yeah, it definitely has a place in a dense urban environment. 15-40 DC WR, perhaps constant f/4, would possibly be even better, but for now I think that's unnecessary duplication. I have Tilley's Vest of Many Pockets, which I find quite bearable to wear in hot weather, and that has all the pockets a photographer could wish for; taking a 15 and a 20-40 would be no issue for me, but in light of my own past experience I feel the OP's needs are better served by renting something even wider.
I ended up with a 20-40 by accident. I purchased it for a niece but she ended up preferring the 17-70 (Pentax) my dad had. So I eneded up with the 20-40. Since I have used it I have come to like it. I wish it was wider and longer but the size and weight appeal. I use it in my two lens carry kit in a sling bag. DA 20-40, K-3, DA* 50-135, HD DA 1.4x, AF540FGZ, Gary Fong lightsphere, Polarizer (67mm) and a spare battery, Raynox close up (150 or 250 as the mood strikes). With this kit I'm not optimized for a particular thing just ready for most things. 20-189 f/2.8 - f/4 with closeup options.

Would this work in Rome? It likely would but I would still use an LX100 or RX100 or even the LX7 knowing my wife and her tolerances for gear on a vacation like that. It is possible I might underestimate her if it were just the two of us. The last trip was rather complex with 6 people in total.

08-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Someone else mentioned ICE for stitching - did you try that?
I downloaded ICE from Microsoft's website over the weekend, it is very easy to use for my attempts of 3-4 photos. The results look very nice to my eye.

I need to reexamine some older photos I have and try them out, and I will plan any future panoramas in both shooting and processing to test just how many photos I can stitch together.
08-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I downloaded ICE from Microsoft's website over the weekend, it is very easy to use for my attempts of 3-4 photos. The results look very nice to my eye.

I need to reexamine some older photos I have and try them out, and I will plan any future panoramas in both shooting and processing to test just how many photos I can stitch together.
So far my best stitch to date is this one (and yes there is a slight glitch) which I think was 8 or 9 shots. I shot them vertically oriented and panned left to right.

08-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #56
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Going to Rome, What lens' to bring
Remember to put the camera down at times and just look, Rome is an amazing city to see.

In answer to your question, I'm another in the fast wide lenses camp.
08-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #57
Site Supporter

We were in Italy last summer and my gear was the KS2, 16-85mm (1299pics), 20-40mm (166pics)and 12-24mm (220pics). Plus a Sony Rx100III (328pics). Next trip will be only two lenses....... Less is more on some trips.
08-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
We were in Italy last summer and my gear was the KS2, 16-85mm (1299pics), 20-40mm (166pics)and 12-24mm (220pics). Plus a Sony Rx100III (328pics). Next trip will be only two lenses....... Less is more on some trips.
With only 2 lenses and no camera body that seems an odd solution. LOL...

Seriously I assume the 16-85 will be one of the two - which would the other be, the 12-24 or something else?
08-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #59
Site Supporter

That is a problem...LOL. It would be the 16-85 and the 10-17mm along with the K3 as I have sold the 20-40, 12-24 and the ks2. I would still take the Sony RX100 as it is a fine little camera to use discreetly.
I am sure the 8-16 Sigma would work well too. Rome was a spectacular place and I never felt that our safety was compromised in any way. We went to Uruguay this summer and I cannot say the same about it......