Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IR conversion isn't cheap. I would probably spend the money on a newer camera myself but the K20D is a reasonable platform. The 6MP ccd in the *istD isn't bad and there are those who love the way CCD renders colors. I'm the proud owner of a K100D and a K100D Super but never use them for their colors per say - I just like to play with them from time to time.

Personally I would donate or sell them both since you have the backup covered.

08-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

If I remember correctly it is $200 to convert a Pentax dslr and $150 for a K01. I choose to buy a K01 for conversion rather than having my K-r done, partly cause the K01 does not have any focusing problems in IR and dslr might.
08-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
How much does cremation cost?

Ouch !!!

08-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Donation

I donate old DSLR cameras to younger relatives to get them interested in photography and maybe create new Pentaxians.

08-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
If I remember correctly it is $200 to convert a Pentax dslr and $150 for a K01. I choose to buy a K01 for conversion rather than having my K-r done, partly cause the K01 does not have any focusing problems in IR and dslr might.

1. Until very recently, my main cam body was a K-3, and a K20D with a KatzEye screen was my dedicated MC "cult classics lens cam, and an *ist DS was an old backup. However, I just picked up a used K-3, so I now have one K-3 with a KatzEye screen for my main MF cam and the other K-3 with an MI-60 screen for my main AF cam (with the *ist DS - my first DSLR - sitting around still as a backup). Therefore, the K20D with the KatzEye screen is likely going to be liberated for someone else's dedicated MF cam...

2. I also picked up a K-01 specifically for IR conversion, which I have now since accomplished -- I think that the K-01 is ideal for such an adapted use (although I am guilty of not using it much yet).
08-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

In anticipation of the purchase of the K3 a couple of years ago I started this thread.
08-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
My *istDS is my freelensing camera. I use inexpensive manual focus m42 lenses. 6mp is no limitation for this application and the color is simply fantastic out of that sensor.
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Likewise. My ol' istDS has 'worn' an M42 adapter and cohabited solely with my original Super Tak primes in manual mode for many years. As close to the old H1a or Spotmatic experience as you're likely to get with a DSLR.

It's still one of the most compact DSLRs around.

And, yes, it does work with TTL flashes -- but beware of those older high trigger voltage units.

08-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Likewise. My ol' istDS has 'worn' an M42 adapter and cohabited solely with my original Super Tak primes in manual mode for many years. As close to the old H1a or Spotmatic experience as you're likely to get with a DSLR.

And, yes, it does work with TTL flashes -- but beware of those older high trigger voltage units.
I just bought a few of those hot-shoe voltage limiters and shoot away with whatever flash I wish--lots of time with the big hammerhead Sunpak 522.
08-17-2016, 01:54 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm the proud owner of a K100D and a K100D Super but never use them for their colors per say - I just like to play with them from time to time.
Earlier today I sold both my K100d & K100d Super (with standard zooms) to a store that sells frequently to beginning photographers. They've been sitting around unused for a long time & it was kinda nice to thin the herd, and also know that someone will be enjoying them.
08-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #26
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Likewise. My ol' istDS [...] does work with TTL flashes -- but beware of those older high trigger voltage units.

The Pentax AF280T is a wonderfully versatile (and voltage-safe) flash to use with Pentax DSLR's (in TTL mode with the "primitive" bodies *ist D, *ist DS, *ist DS2), and in thyrister auto mode (or manually) with all the rest.
08-17-2016, 05:06 AM   #27
Site Supporter

My *istD is in my car with Eneloops and a couple of zooms so I've always got a good camera available. If it gets stolen, it's not a great financial loss. I should add the AF400FTZ TTL flash (that I bought in the early Nineties for my SFX) to the car kit.

The K100D is with my daughter.

My Fujifilm S5500 bridge camera (which I bought before I got a DSLR) sits in the topbox of my motorbike. (As an aside, when I bought it years ago, the Fuji cost as much as my much later K-5 did.)
08-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
The Pentax AF280T is a wonderfully versatile (and voltage-safe) flash to use with Pentax DSLR's (in TTL mode with the "primitive" bodies *ist D, *ist DS, *ist DS2), and in thyrister auto mode (or manually) with all the rest.
Yes, this, so much - and the fact that it offers swivel and bounce is icing on the cake. The only thing lacking is power (and for my primary flash application, WR).
08-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two *ist D's - one is fulltime m42, the other is usually wearing an M or A lens. I love this old body with manual lenses. Still have a K100D kicking around - in fact took it for a spin yesterday with the kit lens.
08-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My favorite feature of the *ist DS is how small and light it is, though so far that hasn't enticed me enough to use it in light of the image quality improvements of the newer cameras.