Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2016, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of strategies people use for how they use AF, so I can see why this might be desirable.
I use centre point and recompose myself as I can't be bothered mucking around shifting AF points but then I do mostly hand held work. A joystick would make it easier though (although I still probably would not use it) - as long as it did not get in the way or displace something else important.

08-17-2016, 04:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no need for a joy stick with press af then cycle front wheel.
08-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
it is far easier to press an af button once then cycle the front wheel to change af points through groups and individual points. way quicker and easier.
I have the FX button assigned to focus point select. I push the button, use the rear edial to move the point side to side and the front edial to move it up and down. I push the FX button again and I am back to my usual button and dial functions. My thumb is all I have to move. From the rear edial to the AF button.
08-17-2016, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

For those who depend on heavily on the selectable AF points, it sounds like a good deal, for folks like myself who often work with a single centres point, no thanks. I get along just fine with the current method, and it's not a feature I'm looking for.

Not selecting an AF point is way faster than selecting one, no matter how you do it. A K-3, K-70, K-1, give you enough MP to crop afterwards.

08-17-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You all are aware the 4-Way Controller is an 8-Way controller for AF points, right? The controller is designed to allow angular movement by simultaneously depressing the edges of two buttons . When set up so the 4-Way default is AF point select rather than quick function acces it is actually better than a joystick.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
08-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You all are aware the 4-Way Controller is an 8-Way controller for AF points, right? The controller is designed to allow angular movement by simultaneously depressing the edges of two bottoms. When set up so the 4-Way default is AF point select rather than quick function acces it is actually better than a joystick.
I do aware that but the location of that controller isn't right for controlling af points. Moving my thumb upside down is really uncomfortable and unnecessary. Also, the controller itself is big that I have to move my thumb a lot while the joy stick is smaller and easy to control. Overall, even the 4 way controller is fine, controlling AF point is very uncomfortable. Why not adding a joy stick if we can get more comfortable features?
08-17-2016, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I do aware that but the location of that controller isn't right for controlling af points. Moving my thumb upside down is really uncomfortable and unnecessary. Also, the controller itself is big that I have to move my thumb a lot while the joy stick is smaller and easy to control. Overall, even the 4 way controller is fine, controlling AF point is very uncomfortable. Why not adding a joy stick if we can get more comfortable features?
Because we already have the 4-Way Controller. Pentax has its way to do things. I'm quite comfortable using the pad; my thumb is trained to go there intuitively; it is in the right place. Joystick might displace Green Button to the wrong place.

If you want Nikon's or Canon's method, that's cool. We already have Nikon and Canon. Go get one.

08-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
rlatjsrud

Because we already have the 4-Way Controller. Pentax has its way to do things. I'm quite comfortable using the pad; my thumb is trained to go there intuitively; it is in the right place. Joystick might displace Green Button to the wrong place.

If you want Nikon's or Canon's method, that's cool. We already have Nikon and Canon. Go get one.
That's not even nice. Green button can be relocate to other location. Most people think that joy stick is way better than 4 way controller. Fuji X pro-2 and xt-2 have a joy stick with 4 way controller so why not? Also, Pentax is already aware about joy stick controller any way.
08-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not even nice. Green button can be relocate to other location. Most people think that joy stick is way better than 4 way controller. Fuji X pro-2 and xt-2 have a joy stick with 4 way controller so why not? Also, Pentax is already aware about joy stick controller any way.
I like the GB where it is. I don't want it moved. I am accustomed to 4-Way controller. If I wanted a different way to do things I wouldn't make everyone else change. I'd find the product that does things the way I want to do them.

Are you telling I am wrong?
08-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
rlatjsrud

I like the GB where it is. I don't want it moved. I am accustomed to 4-Way controller.

Are you telling I am wrong?
You are not wrong but the major people will think it's uncomfortable and not efficient. I don't think adding a joystick is not a bad option but keeping just only 4 way controller is worse. It is time to have a joystick on Pentax camera.

Last edited by rlatjsrud; 08-17-2016 at 01:40 PM.
08-17-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

...in your opinion...
08-17-2016, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

You are not wrong but the major people will think it's uncomfortable and not efficient. I don't think adding a joystick is not a bad option but keeping just only 4 way controller is worse.
You started the thread with a question with regards to what people think. Now the majority of answers shows not what you wanted them to say. Then you claim "a majority of people" wants what you want , contrary to what people actually say.
Ignorance is bliss. Propaganda to promote own opinion.

On the fact side we need to note that Canons lack a proper second e-dial, because they only have a second dial where you told us it is completely stupid to have (where then Pentaxes have the 4way controller).
Shall we start another whining thread on "Lack of proper 2nd e-dial on Canons"?

First I vote for the whining to begin with a thread called "Lack of green button", though. A well known major issue, where all SoNiCanons lag behind.

This forum really needs more whining threads like this one. Otherwise we would have to endure constructive or even helpful threads. That would be unbearable.
08-17-2016, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
one joy stick right next to thumb grip
Will then be able to play Space Invaders on my Pentax?
08-17-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Preemptive Deviewing is once again called for.
08-17-2016, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Preemptive Deviewing is once again called for.
Why? Next thing to ask is the touch screen!... I cant wait to change settings with my face