Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Hmmm unexpected answers. I really hate 4 way pad's location to control af points a lot. Moving my thumb is time consuming and uncomfortable.

Ditto. My cameras are all set to focus point selection. You have to move you thumb around more on a D-pad than on a joystick. More motion takes more time, and potentially lost shots. For a company focused on camera ergonomics, I see the lack of a joystick as a huge oversight.

08-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Does 27 or 11 AF points requires joystick?
08-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forget the joystick, I will not be happy until Pentax supports eye-directed AF selection. If Canon could do it with their '90s-era film cameras, surely Pentax can do so today.

Steve

(...the feature worked real well, though inexplicably was dropped from the top-shelf bodies in the EOS film line...must not have been that useful...)
08-21-2016, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
For me it's not about the ammount of focus points.... assuming >1..... it's about the clumsiness of the existing method.....for me.

Generally.... I use focus point select when field curvature and/or narrow DOF is at play.... otherwise.... given the clumsiness of the current select arrangement, I focus and recompose as a work around to some extent.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
08-21-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specs and Images | Camera News at Cameraegg

Any thought of lacking joystick on Pentax camera body so far? I really have hard time with controlling and moving AF point around with Pentax camera which is very uncomfortable to control AF point to focus for various composing. I think Pentax should add at least one joy stick right next to thumb grip like Canon and Nikon.
I don't know about an exact copy, but I think Pentax could make the 4 way controller easier to use. I find it very slow to move around as far as choosing a focus point goes

Randy

---------- Post added 08-21-16 at 12:36 PM ----------

if you want to have an eye in focus and are constantly changing from portrait to landscape mode IMHO

Randy
08-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I would rather have a continuous AFS that actually works beyond the speed of people walking. =P
08-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #52

Photos: Albums
I really am using the Sel point a lot. Thus, I would like a dedicated joystic. Even with just eleven points, the way it is now is tooo slow...

To me, the main problem are the way it all works. You have to press a button to allow the 4wpad to control the point selection, then press it again to allow the pad to select the functions. Way to slow, way to clumsy. I have had a lot of problems selecting wrong WB, wrong drive, or getting unable to select the point I want, because the pad are locked on the other function.

I dont mind if it stays with the pad system, but Ricoh must separate it completely from the functions. They could back to a dedicated function button, just like the old K10-20 series. Makes more sense to me.

08-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
On my K50 and K30 I have the FX button assigned to focus point select. I push the button, use the rear edial to move the point side to side and the front edial to move it up and down. I push the button again and I am back to my usual button and dial functions. My thumb is all I have to move. From the rear edial to the AF button.
Yes I am quoting myself. I know this works on the k30 and k50. Not sure it applies to other models. I would wager the money from my next wedding I shoot that this method is faster than using a joystick.
08-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not sure it applies to other models.
There's a dedicated button on the K3, but unfortunately you need to upgrade to a K1 before you can set the default for the D pad to focus select.
08-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
upgrade to a K1 before you can set the default for the D pad to focus select.
My point is that using the FX button in conjunction with the 2 edials are much faster and efficient than using the dpad.
08-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
When Pentax bring a camera with more than 92 (random number) or more distribuited by all the frame, maybe a joystic can work, but for today; center point and recompose is faster than move my thumb.
Way easier and faster! I shoot 99+% still subjects and center spot/recompose is so easy! I also shoot mostly in the K1 Crop Mode which makes composition even easier.....what you see is what you get inside that big nice Crop Frame that turns bright red the instant you get correct AF...which is almost always instantly!
08-23-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

I wish I had one for the 27, because it requires less movement of the thumb right next to my face and I don't need to press another button to get the normal options of the four way pad back.

But once Pentax goes beyond 27 points (and they will have to soon if they don't want to be left in the dust) a joystick becomes even more useful.
08-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Forget the joystick, I will not be happy until Pentax supports eye-directed AF selection. If Canon could do it with their '90s-era film cameras, surely Pentax can do so today.

Steve

(...the feature worked real well, though inexplicably was dropped from the top-shelf bodies in the EOS film line...must not have been that useful...)
This is what I've been thinking, reading through this thread. Even better would be mind-reading, but some would have to take off their aluminium foil hats, first...
08-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #59
Pentaxian

My point is that using the FX button in conjunction with the 2 edials are much faster and efficient than using the dpad.
I get you, but I miss this possibility on both K-3 and K-1, where i see no "AF selection" assignable to Fx button...
08-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Even better would be mind-reading
Yes, that would virtually guarantee a lock on the eyebrow rather than lash every time!

Steve