Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
My point is that using the FX button in conjunction with the 2 edials are much faster and efficient than using the dpad.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I get you, but I miss this possibility on both K-3 and K-1, where i see no "AF selection" assignable to Fx button...
Yes, that cool feature is not found on any current model Pentax cameras. Perhaps we should ask to bring it back.

Steve

08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #62
Pentaxian

For sure, reintroducing that would be a cool feature and would imho bring an answer to the best, if not exactly, to the OP's concern.
I can agree with the fact that the "trifolium use" is too much time consuming when you rely on the rear AF button (with your thumb) for focus in e.g. wildlife shooting.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-24-2016 at 07:28 PM.
08-24-2016, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe I hear the rising volume of the manual-focuser's snicker and giggle.

If I can't just focus and recompose, there is likely no shot :-) With my cheap Canons it is a thumb button press, front wheel focus-point-mode selection, then 4-way to actually select it. Yikes. People don't have time for that.
08-24-2016, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I believe I hear the rising volume of the manual-focuser's snicker and giggle.
We will try to keep it down...

Steve

08-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #65
Pentaxian

i am regularly shooting with K-3 + DFA150-450, and in order to stop the sometimes misleading focus adjustments that are almost systematic when you don't use the rear AF button (because the DSLR refocuses prior to every shot), you actually lose shots.
So, in that same logic, i confirm my previous post.

Adjust + recompose is another logic with its own flaws (loose of framing time which can be crucial with heavy lenses without pendular ballhead, and risks to lose your shot with a permanently moving subject and/or thin DOF), and in that case you only need 1 AF sensor, so this is out of subject.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.
08-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I think the change in AF selection behaviour is a main reason I have not yet upgraded from k200d to k3ii... Seems weird to not be able to just have the d-pad dedicated to AF-select. I am hoping that at least the K1 option that lets you set that as the default becomes available in an upcoming aps-c body.
08-26-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I think the change in AF selection behaviour is a main reason I have not yet upgraded from k200d to k3ii... Seems weird to not be able to just have the d-pad dedicated to AF-select. I am hoping that at least the K1 option that lets you set that as the default becomes available in an upcoming aps-c body.
I'm not sure about the K3 II and K-1, but if you switch the four way controller's function to AF select on the K3 it stays like that until you change it back, even if you switch the camera off an on again.

08-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Unlike many of the responses here I would totally LOVE a joystick for controlling the AF points..

Now that I am shooting more paid events I can't afford to screw up on getting things in focus anymore or accidentally changing WB, switching to flash settings, or messing with the color settings. Been there done that.

I don't mind controlling the AF points with the 4 way buttons, sure.. but a joystick would be great for me personally. Center focus and re-compose works too but I still wouldn't mind new ways focusing on moving subjects either..

Yup, in fast-moving shooting situations the current method of tap-tap-tap-tap-tap to move the focus point is too slow for me. And I agree that overlaying AF point control with WB and other settings is not ideal and can lead to errors, lost time, and, ultimately, lost shots.

The touchscreens of my Panasonics are great for quickly changing the focus point to any place that I want and I can move the focus point and take the shot with just one tap of the screen if I want to. Add face detect AF to the mix and it's the fastest and most responsive UX that I've seen for event/candid/photojournalist kind of shooting. Faster than even a joystick.

Regarding the nose--touchscreen issue...I can program an FN button on my GX85 to toggle the touch screen on/off if my nose is getting in the way, but to be honest, the 5-axis stabilization of the GX85 is so good (better than any Pentax that I've owned) that I'm only using the EVF when bright light hinders use of the rear LCD.
08-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I don't know about an exact copy, but I think Pentax could make the 4 way controller easier to use. I find it very slow to move around as far as choosing a focus point goes
---------- Post added 08-21-16 at 12:36 PM ----------
if you want to have an eye in focus and are constantly changing from portrait to landscape mode IMHO

Randy
I've run into this before too. Wouldn't it be great if the selected focus point rotated with the camera? That's definitely a feature I'd love to have. I know it might not be perfect since you'd probably frame differently in portrait and landscape, but at least the focus point would remain in the right quadrant!
08-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I've run into this before too. Wouldn't it be great if the selected focus point rotated with the camera? That's definitely a feature I'd love to have. I know it might not be perfect since you'd probably frame differently in portrait and landscape, but at least the focus point would remain in the right quadrant!
boy what a great feature that would be! I can't see why this can't be a firmware update

Randy
08-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #71
Veteran Member

boy what a great feature that would be! I can't see why this can't be a firmware update

Randy
Because the only thing Pentax ever puts into firmware updates is support for new lenses and "Improved stability for general performance"
08-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Randy
It would likely work as well as auto-orientation on my phone...

Steve
08-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would likely work as well as auto-orientation on my phone...

Steve
Which begs the question... How well does it work on your phone?

I wouldn't want it to rotate all the way around, just in 90 degree flips. The built in electronic level screen already flips whenever you rotate past diagonals, so that would be when I want it to change. I know it probably won't ever make it to my K-3 in a firmware upgrade, but it could make it into newer cameras in the future. If it shows up in the K-3 III or whatever comes next, I could see it also making its way into the K-1 with an update.

On an unrelated note, I just realized it's a good thing Pentax went with only odd numbers in their flagship camera name countdown or else we would be waiting for the K-4 next and still a few years away from the K-1.
08-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I'm not sure about the K3 II and K-1, but if you switch the four way controller's function to AF select on the K3 it stays like that until you change it back, even if you switch the camera off an on again.
Hmm, maybe that's not so bad then... I had thought it reset with power cycling (still notgreat, because you could forget to put it back into AF mode after using the other options). But then I don't understand how the K1 behaviour is different with the custom function enabled. Can anyone explain this? But maybe off topic.
Attached Images

08-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
But then I don't understand how the K1 behaviour is different with the custom function enabled. Can anyone explain this? But maybe off topic.
Not sure what the screenshot is telling us I guess Type1 lets you cycle through the two options.

Have you tried simply setting the directional pad to AF point selection via the "Change AF Point" button, then switch it off and on again, in both of the two modes shown in the screenshot?