Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

10 days in heavy tourist areas, saw 3 pentaxes

I know this sort of thing has been posted about before, but I can't resist. I spent 10 days in NYC and DC. And the whole time I played the 'spot the pentax shooter' game. Besides my own k-3ii, I saw a total of 3 pentaxes, out of hundreds of cameras. I don't know whether I was expecting more than this, but it made the game fun and challenging at least.

Now the breakdown: one was a k-s2 (the orange bottom gives it away!) with a tourist family in a museum. The second was the most encouraging: a serious shooter (battery grip, etc...) with a pentax (couldn't tell which one) on ellis island. This was notable because I didn't see a lot of serious shooters during the week. Lots of tourists walking around with rebels and d5xxx series; a few with 5d mk3 users with L lenses who really seemed liked they'd splashed on the camera but not really into photography; may be 5 shooters with good quality equipment with extras (like custom straps, etc). That tells me that pentax might actually have a relatively good standing with serious hobbyists, but isn't known at the lower end of the spectrum where there are lots of sales.

The third pentax was this one in the spy museum in DC. Why haven't I seen this one listed in anyone's signatures?

08-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I never thought of adding my two 110 or my waterproof 135 pentax body
08-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
I know this sort of thing has been posted about before, but I can't resist. I spent 10 days in NYC and DC. And the whole time I played the 'spot the pentax shooter' game. Besides my own k-3ii, I saw a total of 3 pentaxes, out of hundreds of cameras. I don't know whether I was expecting more than this, but it made the game fun and challenging at least.

Now the breakdown: one was a k-s2 (the orange bottom gives it away!) with a tourist family in a museum. The second was the most encouraging: a serious shooter (battery grip, etc...) with a pentax (couldn't tell which one) on ellis island. This was notable because I didn't see a lot of serious shooters during the week. Lots of tourists walking around with rebels and d5xxx series; a few with 5d mk3 users with L lenses who really seemed liked they'd splashed on the camera but not really into photography; may be 5 shooters with good quality equipment with extras (like custom straps, etc). That tells me that pentax might actually have a relatively good standing with serious hobbyists, but isn't known at the lower end of the spectrum where there are lots of sales.

The third pentax was this one in the spy museum in DC. Why haven't I seen this one listed in anyone's signatures?
I tend to play the same game when I'm not looking at things to take pictures of. If I do see another user, I try to make a point of having a quick chat with them. We're a rare bunch. One gent at the NEC photo show was quite shocked, but then pleased that I spoke to him, which was nice. So, if you're out n about wearing your Pentax, beware of this old, fat bald bloke heading your way

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/328208-10-days-h...#ixzz4I2WvofiQ
08-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

i play spot the pentax all the time, and the only thing that ever comes of it is my complete distaste for canon writing the model of camera in big bolt type on their straps

as though it's important that everyone know which mark 5d you have with a simple glimpse of your strap. of course status symbols are important, and canon is smart to do this, but it still catches me as a bit douchey.

i saw one pentax on my last trip, and the guy using it would hold it with one hand and quickly grab a few shots without any sort of attempt at focus/framing from what i could see.

08-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I remember seeing quite a few Pentaxes when I was in NY three years ago, including a film model or two. I had my K200D, an ME Super and a P30 on that trip.

I always keep an eye out for Pentaxes on my travels (they're extremely rare here in Spain) and always try to identify the model. On my last trip I even saw a K-1!

I've used a non-Pentax strap on my DSLRs for some years now (much more comfortable) so I'm not easily identifiable

I've also noticed that Canon straps state the model number on the straps of higher-end cameras, I think it's because they're a helpful bunch and like to make life easier for the thieves.
08-22-2016, 05:13 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every year I go to Baltimore to attend Otakon, the largest animé convention on the East Coast of the USA; we had about 28,000 attendees this year.
Last year I noticed one other Pentax, from a guy who was either photography staff or press (which rather impressed me, as I'd thought they would all be using Canon or Nikon), with the DA* 50-135.

This year I noticed three. One was a K-3ii, which a cosplayer was using with the DA* 50-135 to shoot another cosplayer. The second was a consumer model (I only saw the neck strap, which (like the one on my K-30) wasn't model-specific like the K-3ii's was) owned by someone who was just as enthusiastic about the weather sealing and all-around value-for-money as I was, which was a fun bit of shared geeking out. The third was a K-5 about which I remember nothing else.

I didn't notice as many when I spent a week in Walt Disney World last month -- maybe one or two -- but unlike at the convention, I did see one of just about every current brand of ILC... except Fujifilm. I even saw a film Leica (with a Carl Zeiss Biogon lens), for crying out loud.

Purely anecdotal, but it's fun to note these things all the same.
08-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Is the plural of Pentax Pentaxes or merely Pentax?
08-22-2016, 05:31 AM   #8

I saw 2 Pentax cameras at my daughter's graduation this past spring. One was a K-x and the other a K200. Mind you this is a small town so I was impressed to actually see any at all.
A couple of weeks ago I met with a friend who I grew up with to discuss his wedding photography. We have known each other for 30+ years. He asked what I am using for my work now and I told him Pentax. He remarked that during High School he remembers me using a K1000 and an ME Super. He was a bit surprised I did not shoot Nikon now. I told him a did for a while years back but had to liquidate all my gear due to the divorce. I told him that when I decided to get back into photography I tried mirrorless with the Olympus system but found the cameras just to small. I then decided to go back to Pentax because I feel there is no better value in photography.

08-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I always try and spot Pentax users when on holiday the last one was in paington uk
Photographing steam trains I usually say hello to them but this time I didn't
Because I was using a Panasonic
Neil
08-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

At the last two software companies I've worked for there have been a disproportionate number of Pentax users, 2.5 at my current place out of 15 employees (I say 2.5 because one uses Pentax glass on a Sony Mirrorless). I choose to believe that this implies an above average level of inteligence and judgement at the companies I work for.
08-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That tells me that pentax might actually have a relatively good standing with serious hobbyists, but isn't known at the lower end of the spectrum where there are lots of sales.
I also look for Pentax cameras and will occasionally see one. Not often though. I agree with your second statement, but my theory is that to find Pentax you mostly have to go searching for them, and to do that you have to know something about them, which is a task that many entry-level shooters will not do.
08-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

I am often tempted to say hi to fellow Pentax users when I spot them, but then I remember that all I have to say is "Hi, I see that we both use Pentax cameras, aren't they good?" and always bottle it, for fear that they will think I'm some sort of crazy person.

I have been known to use my Auto110 to gauge the level of staff competance in a camera shop though. The ones who know what it is are worth listening to, the ones who are facinated by it are worth talking to, the ones who dismiss it as a toy I ignore.
08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tekmongoose Quote
I am often tempted to say hi to fellow Pentax users when I spot them, but then I remember that all I have to say is "Hi, I see that we both use Pentax cameras, aren't they good?" and always bottle it, for fear that they will think I'm some sort of crazy person.
The very reason that I didn't say hello to the serious shooter
08-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is the plural of Pentax Pentaxes or merely Pentax?
Why do you ask? Pentax never show up in plural anyway.
08-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #15

Really cool this post. Seems we all suffer from the same desease! Two days in Warner Madrid and a K 50 and a K S1 and k3 II. Too good. We all need show our friends how pentax cameras are complete.