Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FLU-card naffness copied by Canon

Thought this might be a bit funny.

For all the people who thought that the FLU-card was a pretty bad idea, it looks like Canon may have also gone down this seemingly dead end path:
Canon uses SD wifi card

Anyway, it seems like a bad idea to me.

Howie Be

08-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, they can have this dog of an idea.
08-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Idk, i think it can be a very profitable idea, i mean, shure i think an idea to steal money even from Ricoh, but with the user base of canon even if only 10% of they purchase the card, it gonna sell more than any numbers of units sell of the flucard. Sell a 5usd card at 100usd to million... profit, and what its worse, the whole idea will be a Canon "original idea" , and the flucard as a cheap copy of the canon

08-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, I like the Flu card. It's a little slow, and the signal strength drops quite quickly as I move the camera away from my PC, but it works just fine for my intended purpose

08-23-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Flu card let you use a couple of standard web browsers that made shooting from different devices easy (such as a laptop) and sharing with other people very easy. They could use their own phone to get a copy of the pic you'd just taken of them.

08-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon doesn't even have any onboard memory, WiFi only.. guess the FluCard was too good for them?
08-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Honestly, I like the Flu card. It's a little slow, and the signal strength drops quite quickly as I move the camera away from my PC, but it works just fine for my intended purpose
I agree .
The card is very usefull for me also.
08-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a great idea in theory...but adding wi-fi to cameras is extremely cheap (to them) if it is designed in from the start. In reality it is only 'designed out' from the start to add value to higher cost bodies. Essentially what this means is they withold wi-fi to encourage you to spend more on a body, then sell it back to you at a premium as a hobbled card-based solution if you don't want/need/have the funds for a high end body.

It really is time that all bodies should include wireless connectivity. Even budget headphones and the cheapest bargain bucket chinese smartphones have the 10-a-penny wireless chips in them, yet you spend hundreds/thousands on a modern camera body and you have to pay for bolt-on wireless?

08-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It's a great idea in theory...
... and in practice, actually. I agree with you that new cameras should have wi-fi as standard. Be that as it may, my cameras didn't, but I felt their feature sets more than justified what I paid. The flu-card was a relatively inexpensive add-on, I didn't mind having to buy one, and it works well for my requirements
08-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
+1
And i though WiFi cards did exist for years for Canon users too.... could it be that the new one only brings tethering ?