Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
In my opinion, the reason why Pentax is kind of rare and kind of the big foot of the photography world is that they are all function and no form. They try to compete with numbers. Seems like every camera they try to squeeze more and more into it without having any idea of how it all fits together. I mean, their image quality is pretty nice, but even if they had more of an opening in retail outlets, I doubt it would gain them much in the way of new market share.
I agree they try to cram a lot in for a lower price but that's how I bought into pentax in the first place.

So to disagree... they know exactly how it all fits together. they understand the ergonomics of how a camera should work. these days I could easily have bought a decent canon/nikon/sony system for the same money but I'm not going to switch.

caveat: except for video... might buy a sony body

08-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #47
Veteran Member

And I'm afraid I don't trust the market judgement of someone who said that that "sony could be next..." in regards to the future of Samsung's camera division. You seem to be out of touch with reality. Sony has twice the market share of Pentax last I checked. Their cameras are starting to to

You do realize that while that while the future of samsung's camera division may be up in the air, the NX1 put every pentax camera to shame. It packed the convince of a mirrors body with the rugged durability of a dslr body, a combo that is basically no where to be found. The NX1 put pentax to shame in almost every department. It had much autofocus than any pentax, certainly subject tracking. Show me a pentax that can track at 15 fps. From what I have seen, most can't even keep up with their meager ~5 fps. It put pentax's video to shame. It offers better lowlight than all but the K1. I know it does better than the K3 and likely comes very close to the K1 And needless to say, it offers much better connectivity.

The NX1 offers a full sensor readout in 4k, which even the high end 1DC does't. As far as I know. I know the 5D MK IV doesn't and it costs around 3x as much s the NX1.

Samsung's first tour de force effortlessly captured the hearts of pros and was used heavily by pro video shooters in 2015.

Now, with Samsung likely out of the game, the chances of me putting all my eggs in Samsung basket are looking slim but you sir fail to realize what Samsung accomplished. If Canon or Nikon did what Samsung did and did it well, Sony would be in trouble.
08-25-2016, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #48
Forum Member

And I'm afraid I don't trust the market judgement of someone who said that that "sony could be next..." in regards to the future of Samsung's camera division. You seem to be out of touch with reality. Sony has twice the market share of Pentax last I checked. Their cameras are starting to to
i couldn't care less about marketing or market share. i just care about the ease of doing shoots that my client's have paid me for and delivering quality photos.

QuoteQuote:
You do realize that while that while the future of samsung's camera division may be up in the air, the NX1 put every pentax camera to shame.
guess I never got that memo but if you say so... just had a google and indeed the NX1 does look quite cool. right now, for me personally, I'd rather shoot the k1 for photos and either some sony or panasonic gh4 for video, since I need to start shooting video too. but that's just me. everyone is different.

the world would be boring if everyone was the same

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-25-2016 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Edited minor vulgarity
08-25-2016, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You do realize that while that while the future of samsung's camera division may be up in the air, the NX1 put every pentax camera to shame..
You wouldn't know. You never actually shot with one, you just swallowed all the hype. And you wouldn't know about Pentax either ... you've admitted you don't even use one, you're a Nikon shooter. You're irrelevant to us.

And I'm afraid I don't trust the market judgement of someone who said that that "sony could be next..." in regards to the future of Samsung's camera division. You seem to be out of touch with reality. Sony has twice the market share of Pentax last I checked. .
Their cameras sold numbers have plunged since 2012. Like Samsung, they can be ruthless with their divisions. I would not be shocked to see them exit the camera, computer or phone markets. But Olympus may be first, according to someone the other day.

08-25-2016, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You wouldn't know. You never actually shot with one, you just swallowed all the hype. And you wouldn't know about Pentax either ... you've admitted you don't even use one, you're a Nikon shooter. You're irrelevant to us.
lol nice one clackers... harsh but fair methinks
08-26-2016, 01:37 AM - 4 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Even if Pentax was on shelves what do you think someone would think when they see that down right bizarre screen rotating mechanism on the back of the K1?
"WOW! That's so neat! And you say it's safe to wiggle it like this, it can support the camera and the heavy f/2.8 zoom? Cool!
What brand is this, Pentax? Tell me more about them!"
Or something like that.
08-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've seen how other cameras work and Pentax isn't bad at all. Image quality wise, I wouldn't say that other cameras in its category can out do Pentax. Probably with AF. That's where it lags behind. I believe Pentax is truly a bang for a buck. Who can question the build and construction of Pentax cameras? I dropped my k-5II at about 4 feet high and my camera is still working. Though I have no plans in doing that again. Design, now don't tell me that Pentax cameras look bad. They're gorgeous. The ergonomics and all kills other brands.

As to choices, everyone will have their choices and I respect their opinion. I believe Pentax is a solid performer. The problem is, people like to bash things they don't have.

08-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are not that common now but back in the 70's and 80's Pentax had a solid market share.
The number one camera found in beginner photography classes was the K1000 with a 50mm f2 attached. These cameras could even be purchased at Kmart stores.
I went to High School from 82-86 and our school had several K1000 bodies as well as several Vivitar Series 1 zooms. When my father's Canon AE-1 that I was using died I had to start using the school's cameras. I found I liked the Pentax cameras and saved my money and picked up an ME Super.
I have used Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Contax, and Pentax. I am back with Pentax to stay.
08-28-2016, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
We are not that common now but back in the 70's and 80's Pentax had a solid market share.
The number one camera found in beginner photography classes was the K1000 with a 50mm f2 attached.
That is how I learned, my father got a Pentax as a birthday gift and never used it, he just was not into photography. He worked in the medical field so all his assistants gave a big gift to him. I believe it was probably around $200 at the time. It sat in a box for maybe 5 years, maybe less, and my friend and I took a photography class in high school and I used the Pentax. I stuck with it and used the camera all through college, teacher said "great cameras, I love Pentax, solid workhorse." I dropped that camera down rock crevices, while hiking, picked it up and moved on. I had a Nikon digital when I started out and then realized Pentax made digital cameras, so I upgraded. Went back to Pentax and will probably stay.
08-29-2016, 06:49 AM - 4 Likes   #55

My humble viewpoint. Yes, Pentax owners/shooters are indeed quite rare in my personal observation and experience. I have seen less than 10 here in France, I'd speculate, in the last 25 years. I always enjoy being the only one using Pentax.

Last "spotting" occured a few days ago while in Arequipa, Peru. As I was visiting the Cathedral on the Plaza de Armas a female tourist walked passed me with a DSLR slung over her shoulder. I habitually had a quick glance to see what she was carrying and it was a K-5IIs...I had to sit down on a bench for a minute to process what I had just seen. I felt like I came face to face with Sasquatch.