Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Pentax Camera Users / Not Common?

I went to a photography class at a local camera store. This store happens to be a Pentax Dealer. The instructor said I was the only person to ever take that class with a Pentax. Are Pentax users that rare?

08-23-2016, 01:11 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k70k1000 Quote
Are Pentax users that rare?
Yep. Welcome to a very exclusive club.

At an art show a few weekends ago a customer looking at my work said: "Now the real question, do you shoot Canon or Nikon?" I smiled and said "Pentax, I use a real camera."
08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, though I have made some converts. I have a coworker shooting with a K50, a friend in Alabama with the Q10, my mom with a KS-1, and a girl I know with a KS-1. Another coworker wants to buy a K3 after seeing what I do with it. He has a Nikon D3300 and a Nikon D70 full spectrum. He is communicating with a guy in Indianapolis on Craigslist about his K3 and wants to possibly get a K1 when he gets his stock buy back money this fall after seeing what I do.
08-23-2016, 01:21 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not surprising. Most Pentaxians know everything without taking classes.

Welcome to a very exclusive (and upscale club)...

08-23-2016, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
I bought the K70 because when you compare it to the Nikon 5500 it had so many more features. it was a better value for the money imho. I didn't realize there weren't a lot of people using Pentax. In the film days it was a very popular camera.
08-23-2016, 01:32 PM - 8 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax users certainly aren't uncommon here on the forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
When I bought my K-r, I did my research, and bang for buck, it was the best available at the time. I've never looked back, and I've always been happy. Except with the the fact I haven't run across many others. I've met 2 through online purchases, and both knew their stuff FAR better than all the Nikon/Canon users I've come across. And I saw a k-5 once at a tradeshow. Otherwise, I've never had anyone else to talk to or enjoy the brand with, outside these forums. Lol.

And even then, I see no reason to shift. Something about Pentax/Ricoh just speaks to me.

08-23-2016, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not surprising. Most Pentaxians know everything without taking classes.

There is a grain of truth in that. Because it is very hard to actually walk into a store and buy a Pentax I suspect the average skill level of Pentax users to be much higher than the general population of DSLR users. Not because we are any smarter or better, just because most newbies cannot even find a Pentax, much less take one to a class.
08-23-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/109990-we-really-rare.html
08-23-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k70k1000 Quote
In the film days it was a very popular camera.
They have had a rough few years (decades?), but since Ricoh bought them things have steadily improved. They were on top very early but failed (as the top dog sometimes does) to adapt to new technology. They missed the boat on auto-focus, in lens motors, and digital, and full frame DSLRs. But all is good, they are rebounding and turn out some very nice gear and excellent prices. As you say, best bang for the buck. Just don't expect to walk into a local box store and pick one up.
08-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
They have had a rough few years (decades?), but since Ricoh bought them things have steadily improved. They were on top very early but failed (as the top dog sometimes does) to adapt to new technology. They missed the boat on auto-focus, in lens motors, and digital, and full frame DSLRs. But all is good, they are rebounding and turn out some very nice gear and excellent prices. As you say, best bang for the buck. Just don't expect to walk into a local box store and pick one up.
Agree with all of this.
I also think the majority of people that actually buy a Pentax have done some research before buying. They have to look past the "Buy the most popular" advice (including reviews that frequently say that effectively) and look at the features (for the money) that stir their own passion.
08-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

yes, I went to a free class on studio lighting, and they asked about my camera and the whole class was like "pentax? what is that?" But the teacher knew. Funny thing is I could help other people with their cameras and finding settings but they would not even attempt or want to learn to figure out mine - I don't know what that was about.
08-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree with all of this.
I also think the majority of people that actually buy a Pentax have done some research before buying. They have to look past the "Buy the most popular" advice (including reviews that frequently say that effectively) and look at the features (for the money) that stir their own passion.
Exactly what I did.
08-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I decided to leave Canon I looked at everything that was available in my price range, including mirror-less. I compared lens costs, availability of lens, features and more. I wasn't concerned about the most popular, but what would fit my needs as a amateur photographer. After much deliberation I decided on Pentax and the K-5 II was my first. I now use the K-S2.

I should add that my complaint about Canon was the size & weight (5D), and size, weight of the lens, especially those white ones.
08-23-2016, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Agree with all of this.

Yes, I too thoroughly researched and decided the K-5 definitely gave bets bang for buck. Since then I have upgraded to K-3 and now K-1.

I'm on my third photography class and haven't yet come across another Pentax....but the teacher's eyes really open wide when she sees the images the K-1 delivers, even commenting a few weeks ago that Pentax makes outstanding cameras. She teaches photography in the degree courses at uni, so I guess may have seen a few cameras and a bit of output in her time!