Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Table highlighting major differences among the pentax cameras?

I own a K-50, and now that I am amassing a collection of lenses I am wondering what the other pentax models have over my k-50.
I was wondering if there was a simple table anywhere that showcases the major differences between models, with features and what not, such as megapixels, wifi etc.

Has anyone done this, or know of a comparison table that might exist like that?

Cheers,

Bruce.

08-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLR Comparison
08-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I was wondering if there was a simple table anywhere that showcases the major differences between models, with features and what not, such as megapixels, wifi etc.
This is not a safe thing to ask...

Steve
08-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
www.snapsort.com

This will compare 2 cameras, then theres links to others that are close.

In some cases they don't have up to date info though, like in the case of the K1

08-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
[URL=" Comparison[/URL]
Nice, yeh that'll do.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not a safe thing to ask...

Steve
lol

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
[URL="[/URL]

This will compare 2 cameras, then theres links to others that are close.

In some cases they don't have up to date info though, like in the case of the K1
Cheers for that
08-23-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Nice answers above already. I think DXO or some other review websites have comparison features, as well. But be warned, as sometimes they contain errors or bias. The one on this forum is good and lists just the straight facts. If you are interested in more subjective reviews, these forums also have user reviews of cameras (and also lenses), as well as in-depth reviews on the main page.

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

And if you have a specific question and wonder which cameras fit your needs, you can just ask it and someone probably knows the answer. Just try to be as specific as possible.
The K-50 is pretty cool, I would recommend you stick with it until you actually notice it limiting you. That is the time when you look for a higher tier camera that doesn't have that limit. In the mean time, it is usually best to invest into lenses. Lenses hold their value longer, they can be resold more easily, they can be used on a wide range of cameras (old and new). They don't become obsolete every couple of years, as digital cameras do. And of course the lens is what really makes the image - aside from the photographer, of course. Camera just records it
08-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The K-50 is pretty cool, I would recommend you stick with it until you actually notice it limiting you. That is the time when you look for a higher tier camera that doesn't have that limit. In the mean time, it is usually best to invest into lenses. Lenses hold their value longer, they can be resold more easily, they can be used on a wide range of cameras (old and new). They don't become obsolete every couple of years, as digital cameras do. And of course the lens is what really makes the image - aside from the photographer, of course. Camera just records it
A qualification to that: K-mount lenses either cover the "full frame" (36mm by 24mm sensor) or they don't. If the future includes an FF camera, (currently only the K-1, but that will eventually change), then a bit more care is needed with the choice because most of them don't cover the full frame.
08-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hm, I would say that many do cover the full frame, that they can be used even if they do not cover the full frame, and that the whole FF vs APSC lenses discussion can wait until OP actually decided to upgrade camera, and decides to upgrade to a FF camera (something most people don't do on a whim, due to its cost; I expect a lot of people will buy at least two generations of APSC before getting an FF).
But yes, there is a thread titled DA lenses on Full frame if you want to purchase lenses that will work on your FF when/if you decide to get one. FA and older lenses are all FF compatible, as are DFA lenses. Only some DA lenses, mostly the zooms, render an image circle that leaves dark corners on the FF sensor (or on film cameras).

08-24-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I was wondering if there was a simple table anywhere that showcases the major differences between models, with features and what not, such as megapixels, wifi etc. Has anyone done this, or know of a comparison table that might exist like that?

These might help -

K-Series Digital Bodies

K D-Series Digital Bodies

*ist-Series Digital Bodies

K mirrorless Digital Bodies
08-24-2016, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, I would say that many do cover the full frame, that they can be used even if they do not cover the full frame, and that the whole FF vs APSC lenses discussion can wait until OP actually decided to upgrade camera, and decides to upgrade to a FF camera (something most people don't do on a whim, due to its cost; I expect a lot of people will buy at least two generations of APSC before getting an FF).
But yes, there is a thread titled DA lenses on Full frame if you want to purchase lenses that will work on your FF when/if you decide to get one. FA and older lenses are all FF compatible, as are DFA lenses. Only some DA lenses, mostly the zooms, render an image circle that leaves dark corners on the FF sensor (or on film cameras).
I was really commenting about the statement "In the mean time, it is usually best to invest into lenses. Lenses hold their value longer, they can be resold more easily, they can be used on a wide range of cameras (old and new). They don't become obsolete every couple of years, as digital cameras do".

Now that I've switched to FF with the K-1, I am disposing of a number of APS-C lenses (that are still current) because they don't have a place in my equipment now. Not just because of vignetting; also sometimes because of poor image quality in the corners.

(I contributed to the "DA lenses on Full frame" thread a number of times, and also did my own tests a few years ago).
08-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Now that I've switched to FF with the K-1, I am disposing of a number of APS-C lenses (that are still current) because they don't have a place in my equipment now. Not just because of vignetting; also sometimes because of poor image quality in the corners.
Even in crop mode?
08-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Even in crop mode?
I no longer use Crop Mode. It contradicts what I bought the K-1 for.

But I do test my non-FF lenses at notional crops other than the basic APS-C crop. I want to know how they behave at:
Square: a notional 24mm by 24mm crop (with the APS-C crop at the center).
Panorama: a notional 36mm by 16mm crop (with the APS-C crop at the center).

So I'm not expecting full-frame corner-to-corner sharpness with all my lenses, at least not for all apertures. For some subjects, that isn't necessary. I'm not disposing of lenses simply because they were mainly intended for APS-C. I'm judging on a lens-by-lens, or focal-length-by-focal-length, or even subject-by-subject, basis.
08-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #13

I opened this thread to link to that page, it's a goldmine.

Sadly the mighty Bojidar no longer has time to maintain it so he's looking for someone to take over who can give it the time it requires (I suspect quite a lot!). Anyone feel up to the task?
08-26-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tekmongoose Quote
Sadly the mighty Bojidar no longer has time to maintain it so he's looking for someone to take over who can give it the time it requires (I suspect quite a lot!). Anyone feel up to the task?
Boz has hosted his Pentax K-mount site for decades (way back in Ye Olde Film Days of Yore, when the PDML was the main "forum", so to speak, for Pentaxers to communicate). However, he switched over to Canon in the early digital era (rather than waiting for Pentax to catch up, I assume - or as I may be vaguely remembering, but not necessarily correctly). Arnold Stark (also an ol' PDML member) volunteered to help him a lot in recent years, too, I believe.

"Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page" ( Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page) is a fantastic resource, and I am hoping that someone with enough time, with adequate expertise, and with lots of long-term stamina can take it over...

Last edited by fwcetus; 08-26-2016 at 06:09 AM.
08-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Boz has hosted his Pentax K-mount site for decades (way back in Ye Olde Film Days of Yore, when the PDML was the main "forum", so to speak, for Pentaxers to communicate). However, he switched over to Canon in the early digital era (rather than waiting for Pentax to catch up, I assume - or as I may be vaguely remembering, but not necessarily correctly). Arnold Stark (also an ol' PDML member) volunteered to help him a lot in recent years, too, I believe.

"Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page" ( Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page) is a fantastic resource, and I am hoping that someone with enough time, with adequate expertise, and with lots of long-term stamina can take it over...
if you look in to the couple dozen deepest Pentax resource sites in almost every case you'll find an active PDML User from the 90's behind it. It's as if there was an intentional agreement to build historical archives by a couple dozen PDML members (same holds for adaptall-2.org and Monoghan's Cult Classics and Fred Miranda and Mflenses and manualfocusforum and m42.com (defunct) - well, all the major sites and Forums).

I have always had the thought that were it not for PDML Pentax might not even exist today.

Sadly, over a couple decades we all age a couple decades. Among those dozen or two PDML stalwarts, those who were in their sixties a couple decades ago are unable to continue now.

Which of us has the resources and will to step up?