Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend the K10D (and K20D if you can get one in budget) as they were a bit special in their day, will take a battery pack and will encompass all the needs (bar video) and highlight what a newer Pentax can offer in ISO ceiling and even faster shutter speeds.
Plus, should the need arise, black painted mounts on old manual lenses will work with green button metering in manual mode while later models might not. (Should he get to try any).
On the other hand, you could give him your camera and plead the need to upgrade your camera........

08-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #17

I first learned on a K200d before upgrading to a K-7. I still miss that camera sometimes.

Anyhow, since you have a K-3, my opinion is you could get a body similar to its layout in case your son picks up photography well. Doing so you can switch out cameras rather easily when you two are together at any given time.
08-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dual control wheels does make using manual lenses more convenient, and that's going to teach him the vital parameters most effectively. In the end, all those bodies will work, but I have a bit of a soft spot for the K10 and K5. I think those were landmarks. You can find many of those older bodies for super cheap now.
08-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

we have a Kx hiding somewhere... the reason it doesn't get used is the lack of focus dot inside the view finder. if your son or daughter is just doing normal day time shooting with still subjects the K100d would be a good choice

good luck

Randy

08-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm leaning towards the K10D or K20D. There's one I'm eyeballing that looks well taken care of but the seller can't provide a shutter count.
08-30-2016, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Just won an auction for K10D with a DA 18-55, 2 batteries, and a battery grip for $150.50. Hope it works out. Excited to see the if I can spot a difference in the CCD vs CMOS.
09-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #22

Original Poster
45 minutes spent with the K10D really makes me appreciate what an amazing camera my K-3 is; from low light indoors, to menu layout and parameter accessibility, to shutter noise, etc...

09-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I moved from K10 to K5 to K3II and it's been a big step each time. Work within your parameters and there's no reason you can't get stunning results from the K10.
The cameras have definitely evolved over the years.

I do kind of miss that physical SR switch, though.
09-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I moved from K10 to K5 to K3II and it's been a big step each time.
I wouldn't have thought it was that much of a step from K-5 to K-3ii, but there you go, you learn something new every day.
09-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I wouldn't have thought it was that much of a step from K-5 to K-3ii, but there you go, you learn something new every day.
Yes and no, the sensor is different. It behaves...differently. Ergonomics have changed as well, and after years with the K5 I'm still retraining myself to use the back button focus without hitting the ISO button. That kind of thing makes a difference. Removing the AA filter means the macro shots are just better. As far as ISO goes, it's really pretty similar. The focus is better - the screwdrive is faster and it seems more confident. That's evolutionary, yes.
09-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I am somewhat wary of "revolutions" in photography, especially these days with every man and his dog* on the internet touting every new release as the Next Big Thing. There are IMO very few true photographic revolutions; most of them are just multiple logical evolutions occurring together for the first time in a single camera body. Digital itself is of course a true revolution; everything else that has happened to sensors since can arguably be classified as differences in degree rather than in kind. And all that gear packed around it to tell the shutter what speed to fire at and what aperture to open or close the lens to and how to focus it... none of that is radically different from anything you will find in the final generation of film bodies.

Naturally someone who graduated from an *istDL directly to a K-3ii without using or allowing themselves to be aware of anything that happened in between would beg to differ, as would some hypothetical photojournalist who got to play with the prototype MZ-D on its first intro then got put in hibernation or lost on a desert island until the K-1 appeared... but the enthusiast user or professional photojournalist who managed in the intervening years to own and shoot every Pentax DSLR ever made would likely see some truth in it.

* Sometimes literally "...and his dog...". If you don't believe me, just check out Peter Gregg's YouTube channel, or any of the numerous photographs of Ken Rockwell's fluffy terrors that he puts up from time to time.
10-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I wonder honestly... So if we are just amateurs or enthousiast doing a few snapshots we can have K3 or K1 for ourselve. Arguably we have the money to spend and also as we are not so good the better gear help.

If you are a pro, it is normal again to have ever better, the best: An FF body with a set of DFA lenses in Pentax or equivalent.

But if you are learning photography, potentially to make it your trade in 2-3 years, may need to get the best grade result to help your future carreer then suddently you can have the most basic gear ever. It doesn't really matter?

Why so? Why don't try at least a K3 or D7000 with a tamron 17-50 or something like that?

Finnally if this really doesn't matter as composition, creativity etc are all more important why do we even bother for ourselve to buy anything better?