Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I don't think there are any "bad" DSLR's really (low to mid range). Some excel in certain areas over other's, but really...they aren't all that different, and most of the differences can really be gained back in post processing.

Make your choice off of the lenses that you are able to afford, or want. Lenses will be around a lot longer than a camera body will. Second to that is ergonomics of the body. If you don't like how it feels and functions for you...you are going to be less likely to use it.

I love the feel of the Pentax K10D (I don't own a K200D) and it's feature set. My choice was very easy to make.

Hope this helps!

c[_]

07-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Forum Member

Why the K200D ??

The K200D is my first DSLR, picked up about 6 weeks ago.

When I held the Canon XSi, it just didn't feel comfortable.

The Olympus E520 felt great but, at the end of the day, I just wasn't comfortable with that four thirds system.

D80 was nice enough, but a little dated. And if I was gonna buy a Nikon, it would have to drive legacy AF lenses, which most of their lower end models don't do.

Enter the K200D. Felt good (not great). AA batteries were an attraction. In-body shake reduction even moreso. Weather-sealing a plus. Decent price/performance, especially w/ the rebate.

The only downside was (and remains) limited lenses. I'd still love to see fast (f2 or less), somewhat affordable ($400 or less) primes (a 24ish and a 33ish (i.e. - 35mm film SLR 35mm and 50mm equivalents)) -- see my 'Dear Pentax' entry here:

In all, I'm quite delighted with the purchase -- my Galapagos shots are here.

I've been particularly pleased with the 55-300 lens and was very happy to have it on my trip. Killer lens at a reasonable price. Couldn't have caught the hawk on this page without it.

- Richard

Last edited by expatCanuck; 07-23-2008 at 11:57 AM.
07-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In no particular order:
1. AA Battery usage
2. Pentax lens lineup (yes, I like it!)
3. Build quality
4. Compatability with existing gear
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Kei

I picked the K200d because:

- In-body SR (where else can I get a stabilized 18-250mm lens for about $550?)
- AA batteries (from using the AA battery powered P&S for years I know which brand to get, and I have loads of them)
- Sample pictures look better than other models of the same class. I love the colours.
- Very good result using jpeg only, RAW becomes an alternative not a must (save card space/hdd space/computing time).
- Feels good in MY hands, doesn’t feel like a toy.
- Top LCD panel is very handy
- Weather sealing (not a necessity but will come in handy)
-

The K200d has just about everything in my wish list while staying within budget. I ruled out cameras from other brands because:

Canon XT/XTi: tried my bro’s XT and I HATE the ergonomics. For example: what’s with using 2 separate buttons for zooming in and out in review? I found myself looking for the right buttons more than taking pictures.
XSi: doesn’t look like to be a big difference from the XT/XTi and is more expensive.

Nikon D80: over my budget and has been around for some time already; otherwise I would’ve picked it over the K200d
D40/D40x: No in-body AF motors, severely limited my choice in budget lens

Sony A200: Feels like it was made with some very cheap plastics (as if the camera is completely hollow inside and is about to crack). I don’t like the interface and the
alpha lens are too pricey. I admit very little research was done on the old KM lens….

Olympus E-420: 4/3 system has the smallest sensor, defeats my purpose of getting a DSLR in the first place. Anything other than the kit lens is expensive with no 3rd party lens. Ergonomics is better than the k200d however, fits very well in my smallish hands. I am amazed that a DSLR can be made that small.

This is just my thought process when choosing my first DSLR, by no means I am trashing other brands as this is how it fits ME. Sorry if I’ve offended anyone.

07-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
I picked the K200d because:

- AA batteries (from using the AA battery powered P&S for years I know which brand to get, and I have loads of them)
I assume you are talking rechargeable, care to share with us?
07-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
I assume you are talking rechargeable, care to share with us?
I am using Sanyo Eneloop, my second choice would be the Rayovac Hybrid. These 2 are doing WAY better than the Energizer 2500mah and the GP2000/2500.
07-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to threadjack (ok, so it is) but anybody know how this stacks up?
I've got the Kodak K6200 1 hour charger with 4 Kodak 2500 mAh batteries.
The reader reviews seem to think these are every bit as good as the vaunted Sanyo Eneloop.

I'm finding information that says Kodak is rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. My batteries say Made In China. Is that where Eneloops are made?

Last edited by cheekygeek; 07-23-2008 at 02:22 PM.
07-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
I'm finding information that says Kodak is rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. My batteries say Made In China. Is that where Eneloops are made?
No. Eneloops are made in Japan.

07-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
I am using Sanyo Eneloop, my second choice would be the Rayovac Hybrid. These 2 are doing WAY better than the Energizer 2500mah and the GP2000/2500.
Agreed. I have a bunch of Energizer NiMH, 2300 mostly, that just don't hold their charge anymore. Avoid them.
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #25

I prefer the K10D.. It was the best Pentax could made by the time they couldnt built it better by then (1,5 year ago).. no compromising with parts etc..
The K200D is a budget model of this age.. compromising and not the best you could get (the best building quality).. thats the K20D.. Why would the best they could get of only 1,5 year not be better than the K200D? (by building it they had to keep in mind that it had to be cheaper).

With Pentax you can get a semi-pro cam, and the quality for the prize of an entrance level.. just look in shops or sites if there are lenses you want.. In my case the lenses in my reach ($$€€) are very similar to Canon, Nikon and Olympus. Olympus has more telezoom for its money and the Pentax has more wide angles for less.. Pentax and Olympus are good buys if you dont want to spend a lot (when €500 is the max. for a lense).. But Nikon and Canon have more top range cameras and lenses.
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I was considering XSI vs K200D and the rebate did it for me. For the same price of the XSI, I could get K200D plus the DA 16-45mm lens (after selling the kit lens). I don't have the better lenses so I cannot compare, but I really like the color from that lens. The XS is a bit too expensive for its features right now. If the price goes down I think it would be a good competitor to the K200D.

I wrote the following after a few weeks of using the K200D. Summarizes my initial reactions to the camera:
Gas Lounge: Pentax K200D First Impressions
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #27
MJB

I first did tons of research and decided what I wanted as far as format, MP, etc. I then went to a ton of sites and found examples of photos by camera's in my price range and evaluated them, not only by pictues taken with kit lenses, but also with higher grade lenses. I then was down to about 4 choices and went out and did hands on comparisons. The following items were the deciding factors in the end.

- In body IS,
- AA's,
- Backwards compatibility for lenses,
- The feel of camera in my hand...all other cameras below $1000 felt like toys in comparision to me,
- WEATHER PROOFING/RESISTANCE put it over the top by a landslide for me as I travel to very obnoxious places on a regular basis these days thanks to Mr. Bush.

Enjoy the day.

PS: In Every Store, and I mean EVERY, the salesperson claimed to own a D80 as their personal camera and tried to talk me out of even considering a Pentax. That also played a part in my decision on a subconcious level I am sure :-)
07-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Why Pentax? It's been done to death but:
* great build
* image stabilised
* insanely good primes
* affordable
* didn't want 2x crop factor

I have a whole series of articles on this topic, including Which Digital SLR?
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #29

I wasn't really looking to upgrade to a DSLR yet but QVC made me an offer I couldn't pass on. Their one day special value got me the K200d body, a 18-55 mm lens with lens hood, a 50-200mm with lens hood, a vertical grip and with the $125 rebate....I had to go for it! QVC has a 30 day no questions asked return policy and I love Pentax cameras so I simply took a chance and went for it. Happy with my testing so far.
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I just ordered a new K200D with kit lens, the Pentax 18-250mm lens, Raynox 150 &250 and a bunch of other accessories yesterday, can't wait to pick them up when I get back to the states next week!

I had looked at the offerings from Nikon and Sony and didn't see a dslr that I liked for one reason or another. The only other cameras that I had considered was the Canon XSi and the Pentax 20D. The 20D was too expensive for me, probably more camera than I needed as well (the K200D will be my first dslr). I liked the reviews and features of the Canon XSi but in the end the K200D became my choice due to price (and rebate), I liked the top lcd, availability of lenses, dedicated raw button, and what many of the reviews had to say about image quality and build quality.

I live on a sailboat and sail around the Western Caribbean so having a weather resistant camera was a definite plus. And even in some of the most remote places that I've visited so far it's still easy to find AA batteries (though I have lots of Eneloops). I'm sure I'll be happy with my new K200D, though it sure was a tough decision among all the choices out there.

damon