Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #31

Chose the K200D because I could put the relatively (in comparison to other first party lenses in the same class) inexpensive DA* 16-50/2.8 on it and have a weather sealed body. The first time I used it in the field was on the Mist Trail where everything was getting soaked and I didn't worry one bit about pulling the camera out.

08-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #32
Forum Member

... about the weather sealing ...

And after forgetting my K200D out in the rain for a bit this past weekend (mea culpa - I had driven for about 12 hours, and was exhausted), I was very happy that I had the weather sealing.

(Happily, SLR still works fine.)

- Richard
08-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. Toughest DSLR construction. Canon is so plastic.
2. In-body ant-shake is much more versatile; and future glass is about 30% less than Canon or Nikon.
3. I really like standardized batteries. AA all the way.
4. Very good price when I bought it.
5. Top primes. Have you ever tried a small pancake lens? Pentax = portability. With no in-lens IS/VR, the Pentax lenses are smaller, much more rugged and simply easier to use.
6. Great, supportive forum.

Do yourself a favour. Buy the best DSLR you can starting from which lenses are most important to you and your budget. Then look at a body. Put your money in the glass because every DSLR on the market today can take spectacular photos.
08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phatjoe Quote
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Any issues with the K200D focusing in low light situations?

I tested an olympus e520, and it seemed to hunt around a bit. The Nikon d300 was spot on. Obviously not a fair comparison, but it was amazing to see the difference.

About 6ish am..street scene, i haven't tried anything lower as yet but this was done on "auto" with the kit lens 18-55II

wait this was done at night another street scene with same lens i think

this was also my very first time using the camera, i've since learnt how to do better camera setups preshoots. None of the above were altered, all shot on auto.

2nd shot was done thru a dirty window

08-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #35
Inactive Account

I bought the K200D after researching and evaluating cameras for about a month. I have an Canon IXUS 60 point and shoot and prior to that had a Pentax point and shot, which incidentally cost more than the K200D when I bought it in 2002.

I was looking for a good starter camera that would allow me to explore photography and learn how to compose a shot but still allow me to switch to auto and take care of things for me. I had a fixed budget in my head and so I was evaluating the Canon Eos 1000D, Sony Alpha a200, Nikon D40 and to be honest, had written off the K200D due to the AA batteries.

I was swayed toward the Canon by the availability of the 50mm f1.8 prime for about AU$140, but it just seemed to be a bit too expensive to buy a kit and the prime, also reviews were a bit mixed and I didn't want to follow the herd, even though my IXUS is a great little camera.

I had decided the D40 would probably be a good, cheap camera but was put off by the need for AF-S lenses if I wanted autofocus. The spec on it was also quite low with regard to dust minimisation and image stabilisation. The price made it very attractive.

However, I was really sold on the a200. The spec was good and it seemed excellent value for money. Reviews seemed very positive too.

It was a discussion that I started on a local Mac forum that put the Pentax back in my mind as the debate turned toward the relative merits of proprietary Lithium Ion batteries vs. AAs. When I heard that it was possible to shoot all day on rechargeables I looked at the K200D again and the specs were the equal of any of the other cameras I was looking at and even rivalled the Canon Eos 450D. Reviews were all good too.

Still I was quite set on the Sony. When I went to the shop to have a look at them I found the Nikon to feel quite nice but a little light and small (I have hands like shovels) and the Sony to feel plasticy, the K200D felt so solid in my hands. So to cut a long (and somewhat predictable and dull) narrative short I bought a K200D because:
  • in body image stabilisation,
  • the build quality and dust/water proofing,
  • the picture quality, positive reviews;
  • and bang for my buck

I have a really long learning curve but I am extremely glad to have found this forum and have already gleaned some great information.
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I guess every thread above mine explains my own reasons for choosing the K200D. I actually have had an E-520, and while it handled well (the uber-control panel copied by the 50D was especially nice), I'm not too thrilled about the banding problems at ISO 800 and 1600.

People also overlook (or isn't bothered like I am) the focus-by-wire that Olympus implemented with their 4/3 lenses. It's quite hard to control the speed and precision with that system. That, and the viewfinder was really, really small.

The XSi and D60 were no-gos for me. In-body IS keeps costs down (at least for intermediate lenses) in the long run. As well, the XSi feels cramped. Good Canon handling starts at the xxD level, for me.

The D60, on the other hand, feels good in the hand, but the price one pays is harder access to settings. I never got used to pressing a button to bring up the info screen and another button to activate the parameter selector, then that's only when one can change the parameter.

The Sony looks to be good, and I'm quite okay with the build of it, really, but their lens prices leave much to be desired. As with good old Pentax glass, good Minolta glass is also becoming harder (and pricier) to come by.

I'm sure as hell (I've been around the block twice) these cameras are fine image-making machines, which is the whole essence of buying a DSLR. It comes down to the other things when buying a DSLR (price, system, features, ergonomics). The K200D is currently the best bang for the buck for me.
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
...People also overlook (or isn't bothered like I am) the focus-by-wire that Olympus implemented with their 4/3 lenses. It's quite hard to control the speed and precision with that system. That, and the viewfinder was really, really small....
I forgot that point my initial posting but, yeah, I was definitely no fan of the focus by wire. Didn't find the Olympus viewfinder particularly problematic, tho'. Too bad -- really did like the small size (I loved the 1970's Olympus OM-2).

- Richard

09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I bought a Pentax K10D back in Nov., 2007. It's a great machine, has recharged my photographic enthusiasm.

I got the Pentax for a couple of reasons.

- I have had Pentax SLR's since '68 and have 3 -35 mm bodies, including a sla, ES11, k1000. All work well, even the 40 year old S1a. I'm impressed with the robust durability I've got from my Pentax SLR equipment.

- I tried the Pentax K10D, the Nikon D80 and the Canon D30, which is a cut above the Rebel. Also tried the Rebel.

I didn't like the feel of the Rebel, felt it was cheap and plasticky in build quality. I liked the 30D Canon. Very robust.

I didn't care for the Nikon D80, it also felt less than robust. I tried the Nikon D200, this I liked, but pricey.

The K10D feels very robust, seems like a tough camera. Alsoe I got the battery grip which works well for me, as I have big hands and appreciate the extra grip surface area of the grip.

The K10D had many features that the D80, Rebel and 30D didn't have.

Shake reduction in the body, no paying extra for it in every lens you buy.
Dust removal system-important. I know someone with a Canon who cleans the sensor on a monthly basis. So far, I haven't touched the sensor. The dust cleaning system must work well in the K10D.
Weather sealing is top notch.
I can use my old Pentax lens, not sure about the deal with Nikon/Canon using old lenses.
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #39

Bottom line for me was price. I was literally searching for a deal on an XSi--trying to find it under $800--when I came across a thread about the K200D for $565 after rebate. I had a T2 film SLR so the XSi would have made a good dSLR to complement it. But after reading about the in-body stabilization and support for all lenses, I sold the T2 and haven't looked back. Ended up getting an A3000, too. Love those AA batteries.

One feature of the K200D that I haven't seen mentioned is wireless flash. This is a great feature, at least with the AF360FGZ.
09-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #40

Used to own a *ist DL. I got so many punchy pics out of it before I sold it to upgrade to something more modern, meaning having dust-proof, sensor-cleaning, shake-reduction capabilities. I was willing to forgo SR. But I looked and looked. Canon has smooth IQs, but lacks punchiness and saturation. Nikon is nice, but the features on the entry-level models are paltry. D300 is out of my reach in price, and so heavy. So, I decided to continue with the Pentax brand, and got a K200d. 3000 images later, I am happy. The IQ is excellent. The fa 50mm f/1.4 lets me shoot anywhere without flash.

Oh, I want to add that Pentax DSLRs (K200d & k20d) just feel so much more solid when compared to Sony, Canon. I feel I can afford to man-handle it.
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #41
Forum Member

had pentax lenses & flashes & body & a few other accessorries(u know how things accumulate after all these years),didn't want 2 spend money on things i already have,wanted a 10mp camera(PENTAX),didn't want a pro camera!good review???
09-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Nearly no reason if you ask me and I honestly speaking, except the user wants to have a tend-to-underexpose DSLR than a tend-to-overexpose one!
09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nearly no reason if you ask me and I honestly speaking, except the user wants to have a tend-to-underexpose DSLR than a tend-to-overexpose one!
Do you have a k200d? If not, our opinion carries little wait in this particular discussion.

I chose it for several reasons including but not limited to "Legacy" capabilities, weather sealing, features, construction, bang for the buck and its a Pentax. Plus, I don't like doing the sheeple thing.
09-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Pointless

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you have a k200d? If not, our opinion carries little wait in this particular discussion.

I chose it for several reasons including but not limited to "Legacy" capabilities, weather sealing, features, construction, bang for the buck and its a Pentax. Plus, I don't like doing the sheeple thing.
Do anyone here need to own or already owned both cameras asked by the OP before responding to this thread? You own a 450D/XSi also??

So? Its pointless.
09-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
That's an opinion based on some ill-informed rumours on DP Review, not a fact, and not substantiated by any data. Even the DP Review review said nothing about this. Neither did PopPhoto, etc.

The camera gives me excellent exposures.

It's pretty tasteless to spread non-factual rumours about equipment you do not even own. I've owned Nikons, Canons and Pentax and there has been no over or under with any of them if used properly in the field.