Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Do anyone here need to own or already owned both cameras asked by the OP before responding to this thread? You own a 450D/XSi also??

So? Its pointless.
Here's this thread title:
QuoteQuote:
Why did you choose the k200 over the competition (e.g., Canon XSI)??
I ask you again, DO YOU OWN A K200D?

09-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phatjoe Quote
Hello:

I've been going back and forth with DSLRs for a bit. Testing and trying them out. I had the K20D on my mind, but not comfortable spending that kind of money (regarding my 1st post a month back, I did go back to the camera store).

Anyway, this thread is not to bash pentax in anyway, but really understand why you may have choosen the K200D over the Canon XSI, or Olympus E520. If you shop around, you can find these cameras within a $100 of each other, so price isn't a factor for me.

Listing the stats is easy:
The canon has larger lcd, more pixels (not always an advantage), liveview, yadda yadda
The pentax has built in image stability, better build quality, and so forth

But curious, did the pentax feel better to you? Did you like the lens selection better with pentax? Was it just to be a little different?

I'm just trying to understand. I'm sure others were faced with the same dilemma...

Thx....
Why did I choose a K200D? (yes, I actually own one).
I / we were migrating from a *istDS / DL set up to a K20D & K200D kit, so already a Pentax user. I have not seen anything from any other manufacturer that makes the case for change, in the same price range (or even close to the same price range). My daughter has a D60 and a DL, and while she uses the Nikon a lot, she still uses the old DL as well.

You have asked about low light performance. This has many connotations and has many and varied answers.

First we need to define what you mean by "low light" and your intended usage.

I will try and second guess your answers a bit, so if I am wide of the mark, please forgive me.

Photography is basically all about available light. When the available light drops away then the degree of difficulty (to capture a sharp shot) increases exponentially, which will be further effected by the quality of the lens on the camera. So, if you are trying to photograph the kids racing around on the back lawn at night under a 60w light with the kit lens, then you are going to have many failures. The same subject with a "fast" lens, say the 50mm f1.4, will improve your chances, but you will still need to be savvy about which settings you choose. Auto focus is also going to struggle in these conditions.

The advice already given is good and sound, and the final call really is yours based on your intended usage. If low light is a real issue for you and you will be shooting a lot of night scenes or indoor / nightclub / theatre or such then I would suggest you need to review your budget significantly upwards and look at other options. But if you are talking about occassional casual use, then the K200D is going to perform well, particularly if you add a fast lens to your kit.

Hope I haven't confused you and good luck with your purchase...what ever it maybe.
Cheers.
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here's this thread title:

I ask you again, DO YOU OWN A K200D?
So, DID you own a K200D B4 you chose?? ;-)
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, DID you own a K200D B4 you chose?? ;-)
Actually, I did.

09-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine just bought the Canon EOS 450D / EOS Digital Rebel XSi, I was shocked at how cheap it felt. It was like a kids toy. I didn't like the focussing of it either, but then I have the K10 and Z-1P.
He knows very little about photography, so he's probably gonna be happy about it. I wasn't gonna start telling him about the flaws.

Probably within a year, he is not using it anymore, or had it break down.