Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi butangmucat

One option, if you will feel you need more than the original focusing screen of the camera, is the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 (PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database).
I use one in my Kx (an before that in a K100D Super) and it's great with manual lenses.

Relating to these lenses you are correct, to stop down a K-mount lens, the electric contacts must be shorted.
I have two who had their base painted black / grey and I had to scratch (taking out a bit of the paint) the base of a part of the lenses before the camera recognized them and stopped them down.

08-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Mitakon
I know that's strange, but coming from China, I am pretty skeptical about the overall QA of this brand as it has received a lot of negative reviews among my circle of semi-professional photographers.
08-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the past Mitakon was considered to have quite poor image quality. They are trying to use marketing now to improve their image and release some new lenses, but I dont have very high hopes.
I only mentioned them because they use a dead K-mount, the kind that has no aperture lever and the camera cannot move it at all. So it has less automation than A-series (and modern Samyang lenses), less automation than original K and M series Pentax lenses from decades ago. The Mitakon lenses are almost like a lens with an adapter with no contacts.
So, yeah, feel free to experiment with them or to avoid them
08-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
In the past Mitakon was considered to have quite poor image quality. They are trying to use marketing now to improve their image and release some new lenses, but I dont have very high hopes.
I only mentioned them because they use a dead K-mount, the kind that has no aperture lever and the camera cannot move it at all. So it has less automation than A-series (and modern Samyang lenses), less automation than original K and M series Pentax lenses from decades ago. The Mitakon lenses are almost like a lens with an adapter with no contacts.
So, yeah, feel free to experiment with them or to avoid them
A quick digression: I trust the Soviet firms more than the fellow Chinese firms in terms of precision optics.

08-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Focus confirmation works fine for me with M42 lenses on my K-30.
However, you need to be aware that I've never made a practice of using wide apertures - I'm most comfortable around f/5.6 or so, because context has always been important to me - so the focus could be off a tad and DoF would "save the day".
Do I need to short the contacts for IBIS and focus confirmation to work?

Sent from my Android phone, please forgive any possible typos.
08-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think ibis cares.
08-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
A quick digression: I trust the Soviet firms more than the fellow Chinese firms in terms of precision optics.
With precision optics, random effects in the manufacturing process
(or not-so-random effects like distracted employees on Friday)
will produce a variation in quality.

Soviet-bloc producers used to unload their poor products on their domestic markets,
and save the good products to earn foreign exchange in export markets.

So I wonder if Mitakon is doing the same thing.
This could account for a poor reputation in China
that might not be reflected overseas.

08-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Sent from my Android phone, please forgive any possible typos.
I just attach my genuine Chinese adapter and my lens, then shoot.
I've never done anything special with contacts.

If I Recall Correctly, the focus confirmation works just fine with the standard configuration; of course, I have no way of confirming that IBIS is actually doing anything, but pictures from the day when I shot exclusively with the M42 Soviet lens turned out just fine.

08-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

IBIS does not care what lens you have mounted. You can even use it without a lens (not recommended, but you can see the sensor move inside the camera). It depends on the focal length that you will manually input when you turn on the camera and a manual lens is mounted. Input the same number as is written on the lens, or the nearest wider number. No equivalence or any other silly calculations. The only time you want to input a different number from what is written is if you cannot select the exact same number, if you are using a zoom lens (where you can only input one number at a time and camera does not know what zoom level you are using. Usually best to choose the widest number that you will be using, or the one you will be using the most), or in some macro situations (some tests have shown that due to the extreme magnification in macro you can actually turn SR up a bit and it will deliver better results, not worse). Note that SR can degrade image quality if you input a higher number, or it can undercompensate if you input a lower number. Note also that you should not use SR with in-lens stabilization - only use one at a time, as using both can cause conflicts.
Focus confirmation is different mechanism. I think the centre point focus confirmation works without contacts or any other info, you just might have to press the focus button and select the right options.
You only need to short the contacts for things like Catch in focus and maybe automatic aperture stopping down (there are some threads about this, but I never bothered delving into it). CiF needs to have AF contacts shortened (not necessarily lens ID) and AF on camera enabled (while AF on lens is disabled or just unavailable). Check manual for details, as some things have changed from camera to camera over the years

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
So I wonder if Mitakon is doing the same thing. This could account for a poor reputation in China that might not be reflected overseas.
That sales tactic was very common, but I have seen even Mitakon reviews by westerners, and they were not very positive. There was even a thread on these forums about the 35mm and 85mm Mitakon lenses. They cost a little less than the Samyang, but have less automation and are far softer wide open.