Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

Long story short... this is my 3rd time to drop the camera from near 1m high, this time not my fault but a bad sling belt, the metal hook thing got loosen out.

The lens in use was the 55-300 HD with plastic filter threading, amazingly it does not break or crack even the metal hood seriously deformed, the filter also in prefect shape, last time I used the original plastic hood when I dropped it, the whole thing bounced and rolled on the floor caused some dent and scratches on the body. Since I lost the hood I replaced with a metal one, in fact, I used all metal hood on my lenses, I believed this can better protect the lens, just like a well designed car, it will sacrifice to protect the driver ! I use hood on my lenses all the time not only to protect the lens when bumping around, also blocking my finger from touching the glass and smudged it, I find this is the main reason I got blur and soft image !

Interestingly, last time I dropped the camera and the zoom became stiff, this time I dropped the focus ring became stiff but zoom freely, so I believe the gear inside the lens has not break but shifted out of place, the problem is not serious the lens still can focus well, so I will keep it until I've the fund to upgrade, after all Pentax is exceptionally well built, you can't find any other made at this cost with such high quality !
Try Peakdesing Sling Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Straps it works very good for me.

08-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I always use a tether cable, I learned the hard way... Same for hoods, you fully understand their purpose once you've ruined a filter ring.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 09-01-2016 at 06:34 AM.
09-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
I used the basic strap with the BIG WHITE label "PENTAX" but then I got the Peak Design strap. When I was looking for straps I looked at the gorillion "blackrapid" offers on ebay and noted the single lug attachment point and got horrified. I know how these cast things are brittle and usually cast from the shittiest reject alloys they can get their hands on.
A single attachment point also takes the brunt of the setup, especially on long zoom lenses to a single point and more prone for failure. Like in lotech's case, the whole thing was suspended on that weak little flared point and it failed.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
Oh, now I see your point…. I learned photography in the Army in the ‘60s. They gave us Pentaxs and taught us to carry them over one shoulder ‘round the back so the camera was protected in case of a trip. When you reach back to swing the camera forward your hand was on the shutter button. Having your gear hanging around your neck bouncing off your chest with every step just seems silly.
The setup in your image is the proper way to carry the camera, the weight is supported by two separate points halving the weight supported by the support points effectively reducing 100-1000x the wear. I didn't have any kind of training before but I use the same method with my camera. Easy carry, easy reach, quick access to the controls, quick and easy single motion to get ready to aim and burst away.
I usually cross-shoulder the strap because it (and any kind of straps and bags too) slips easily off of my shoulder on the same side.
09-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
I used the basic strap with the BIG WHITE label "PENTAX" but then I got the Peak Design strap. When I was looking for straps I looked at the gorillion "blackrapid" offers on ebay and noted the single lug attachment point and got horrified. I know how these cast things are brittle and usually cast from the shittiest reject alloys they can get their hands on.
A single attachment point also takes the brunt of the setup, especially on long zoom lenses to a single point and more prone for failure. Like in lotech's case, the whole thing was suspended on that weak little flared point and it failed.

The setup in your image is the proper way to carry the camera, the weight is supported by two separate points halving the weight supported by the support points effectively reducing 100-1000x the wear. I didn't have any kind of training before but I use the same method with my camera. Easy carry, easy reach, quick access to the controls, quick and easy single motion to get ready to aim and burst away.
I usually cross-shoulder the strap because it (and any kind of straps and bags too) slips easily off of my shoulder on the same side.
very informative

sounds like you folks, like me, are firm believers in Murphy's Law: "Any thing that can go wrong will go wrong" and Finnigan's Corollary to it: "Murphy was an optimist"

first thing I was ever taught about cameras: "that strap has a purpose, put it around your neck as soon as you pick up the camera"

09-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
"that strap has a purpose, put it around your neck as soon as you pick up the camera"
+1

and to all those ''Yes but the strap is annoying'' not as much as a broken camera : /
09-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
+1

and to all those ''Yes but the strap is annoying'' not as much as a broken camera : /
Yes, but a neck strap is only one of many available options.
09-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I thought that is why every camera is packed with a neck strap.
yeah the camera is either in the bag or I have the neck strap to secure it.