Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't fully trust the connector, even though I use the latest Black Rapid stainless steel version. I ended up adding an extra safety string that doesn't interfere with normal function.
Good thing you had a metal hood.

Attached Images

08-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago, I tripped and fell while hiking in northern Wisconsin, and b e n t my Vivitar 75-205mm zoom. The lens cap was on, and the reversible hood was reversed, not mounted forward. I paid almost what I paid for the lens new to get it repaired. I still have it. Recently I dropped a little Olypus Stylus 610 I'd bought at a thrift store. The finish on it is a bit slippery. I expected it to be dead, but instead it still worked. In fact, now, the flickery screen image it had when framing a picture, pre-exposure, is no longer flickery.
08-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have avoided this kind of sling for exactly this reason. I don't think I'd even trust the expensive one.

I have a good neoprene normal style strap on my DSLR and it works very well indeed.
08-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Interestingly, last time I dropped the camera and the zoom became stiff, this time I dropped the focus ring became stiff but zoom freely, so I believe the gear inside the lens has not break but shifted out of place, the problem is not serious the lens st
I have been using filter rings (with those crap filter taken out though). I have got 3 rings for like $4

They are rugged enough

---------- Post added 08-29-2016 at 10:29 AM ----------

One time I bought 10 yellowish brownish filters dating back to the film days. They are all junk. But they are great protective rinks.

08-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #20
Forum Member

I guess the BlackRapid Tether Kit is there for an unfortunate situation like this.

BlackRapid's Tether Kit is a five piece utility bag full of useful parts to modify and customize any BlackRapid camera system. Includes two tethers, two BlackRapid carabiners, and a mesh bag that doubles as a microfiber lens cloth.

Last edited by Pictora; 08-29-2016 at 12:27 PM.
08-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I don't fully trust the connector, even though I use the latest Black Rapid stainless steel version. I ended up adding an extra safety string that doesn't interfere with normal function.
I think what you've done in your photo is a good idea. Unfortunately the black tape, or whatever it is, hides the joint between the two ends of the cord. How are the two ends connected? I am going to look into something similar or the use or a carabiner.

Added: Something like this would do the trick I think, but differently from your setup (BR sling to camera lug ring).

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-747/Freewire-Quickdraw

Added further: The BR tether kit is similar but more expensive. The link I provide is in CAD so it would be about 10 USD.

Last edited by cpk; 08-29-2016 at 06:44 PM.
08-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I think what you've done in your photo is a good idea. Unfortunately the black tape, or whatever it is, hides the joint between the two ends of the cord. How are the two ends connected? I am going to look into something similar or the use or a carabiner.

With a simpel knot as shown. The black cover is heat shrink tubing.
Also made something similar to what's shown above. This is primarily used with extra heavy gear, battery grip or when I use the Black Rapid FastenR-T1 with a Manfrotto 200PL plate.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-30-2016, 05:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your K3 looks as beaten-up as my K5!
I will now closely inspect both of my sling strap attachments.
08-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #24
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
With a simpel knot as shown. The black cover is heat shrink tubing.
Also made something similar to what's shown above. This is primarily used with extra heavy gear, battery grip or when I use the Black Rapid FastenR-T1 with a Manfrotto 200PL plate.
Thanks a lot! Very neat. I have the same setup with the Manfrotto plate and BR modification on all my Pentaxes.
08-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just don’t understand the concept or purpose of using a contraption to dangle one’s camera from a single point that wasn’t designed to carry the full weight of camera and lens and the 100’s of psi from jarring and bouncing around when there are well designed attachments points that are. What am I missing ?
08-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Added: Something like this would do the trick I think, but differently from your setup (BR sling to camera lug ring).

Black Diamond Freewire Quickdraw

Added further: The BR tether kit is similar but more expensive. The link I provide is in CAD so it would be about 10 USD.
Forget the MEC item; it's way too large. I'm going with the utility cord approach illustrated by Bengan.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
I just don’t understand the concept or purpose of using a contraption to dangle one’s camera from a single point that wasn’t designed to carry the full weight of camera and lens and the 100’s of psi from jarring and bouncing around when there are well designed attachments points that are. What am I missing ?
If you're walking the street doing street photography the camera is always ready and can be used within an instant. The camera's weight is on the shoulder, which is not as tiring as it is with a strap around the neck when carrying it for several hours. I generally always keep my hand on my camera in a relaxed manner as I walk around which keeps the camera from bouncing around, but both hands can be free quickly if necessary.
08-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I don't let my camera swing and bounce around. The tripod socket better be designed to carry the full weight of camera and lens. It seems pretty useless if it is only meant to be used for attaching a grip.
08-30-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, now I see your point…. I learned photography in the Army in the ‘60s. They gave us Pentaxs and taught us to carry them over one shoulder ‘round the back so the camera was protected in case of a trip. When you reach back to swing the camera forward your hand was on the shutter button. Having your gear hanging around your neck bouncing off your chest with every step just seems silly.
Attached Images

08-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ouch, lucky you that nothing worse happened!
08-30-2016, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #30
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, now I see your point…. I learned photography in the Army in the ‘60s. They gave us Pentaxs and taught us to carry them over one shoulder ‘round the back so the camera was protected in case of a trip. When you reach back to swing the camera forward your hand was on the shutter button. Having your gear hanging around your neck bouncing off your chest with every step just seems silly.
Over the shoulder and across the chest is easier and more comfortable. But yes, the security of the equipment becomes an issue.

Added; Also, across the chest is more stable than hanging off the shoulder where the camera always seems to want to fall off.