Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

The reason we need lens hood

Hi there,

Long story short... this is my 3rd time to drop the camera from near 1m high, this time not my fault but a bad sling belt, the metal hook thing got loosen out.

The lens in use was the 55-300 HD with plastic filter threading, amazingly it does not break or crack even the metal hood seriously deformed, the filter also in prefect shape, last time I used the original plastic hood when I dropped it, the whole thing bounced and rolled on the floor caused some dent and scratches on the body. Since I lost the hood I replaced with a metal one, in fact, I used all metal hood on my lenses, I believed this can better protect the lens, just like a well designed car, it will sacrifice to protect the driver ! I use hood on my lenses all the time not only to protect the lens when bumping around, also blocking my finger from touching the glass and smudged it, I find this is the main reason I got blur and soft image !

Interestingly, last time I dropped the camera and the zoom became stiff, this time I dropped the focus ring became stiff but zoom freely, so I believe the gear inside the lens has not break but shifted out of place, the problem is not serious the lens still can focus well, so I will keep it until I've the fund to upgrade, after all Pentax is exceptionally well built, you can't find any other made at this cost with such high quality !

08-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Interestingly, last time I dropped the camera and the zoom became stiff, this time I dropped the focus ring became stiff but zoom freely, so I believe the gear inside the lens has not break but shifted out of place, the problem is not serious the lens still can focus well, so I will keep it until I've the fund to upgrade, after all Pentax is exceptionally well built, you can't find any other made at this cost with such high quality !
Well, with that amount of dropping I'd be surprised if all the optical elements were still properly aligned. Have you taken test shots to see whether the image quality has been affected?
08-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
this is my 3rd time to drop the camera from near 1m high
Ouch! I've yet to drop a camera, I'm overly cautious because I can't afford to replace it.

Hope everything turns out ok.
08-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy cow! I'd be rethinking how I carry my camera!

08-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What brand of sling?
08-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, with that amount of dropping I'd be surprised if all the optical elements were still properly aligned. Have you taken test shots to see whether the image quality has been affected?
Yes I took couple shots after the drop and I did not see anything unusual, the lens was in the widest setting when I dropped it that minimize the damage I guess.
08-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
What brand of sling?
Seriously, that is the question to be asked here.

08-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
What brand of sling?
It called 'Capa', but many cheap slings has the same design.
08-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The design actually mimics the BlackRapid design. Your on-camera attachment does appear to be BlackRapid. You had me running to check my four BlackRapid slings and three BlackRapid wrist straps, but the spring clip design in your photo, although similar, is not a BlacRapid one. I use them all the time with no failure yet over about four years' use.
08-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

FYI, the vibrations from normal driving is enough to back screws out of their socket. I have a " bag of tricks" that I carry on every video shoot I do. It's just a collection of clamps, extenders, and tripod heads designed to meet whatever challenge I might encounter. I hadn't checked it in quite a while, but when I opened the bag recently, every connection had become "un-screwed". All I'm saying is, "Tighten all the connections on your camera gear every week". Sometimes this stuff can come loose when we aren't even aware of it.
08-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point. I check both the camera attachment and spring clip every time I use a camera, but the failure in the OP's case was at the end of the spring clip attaching to the sling strap. This could fail without any warning, visual or otherwise.
08-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is a good reason to check all your equipment thoroughly, Before you take it out for a photo shoot. this includes checking your strap and connecting hardware. Especially at any point of wear. also, you need to add a safety tether, From the carabiner to the camera strap mount. This will help keep your strap adapter from unscrewing from the tripod mount. Remember, when it comes to camera straps, when in doubt, Throw it out and replace it. camera straps are cheap compared to a lens or camera. and always by quality namebrand straps. stay away from the eBay No name garbage.
08-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh wait a minute, sorry for my bad memory now I remember, the metal part was actually from Black Rapid !

I got couple of similar slings, and a while ago I purchased a special mounting system from Cams Pro, an unusual design that easy for vertical shooting.

http://www.cams-photo.com

Since I did not purchase the strap I make use of the BR strap, it is a wonderful strap very comfortable to use, and I removed the metal hook part to install on the Capa strap, because the original hook was too weak and I replaced it. I keep the Cams Pro mounting plate on the battery grip for vertical shooting use, and I use the Capa strap when I don't need the battery grip and want to offload a bit, somehow the metal parts worn out and caused the drop. Even the Cams Pro mount doesn't look like will fall apart soon, it is still a good idea to install a nylon/metal wire attach to the camera 'eyelet' just in case for life saving.

Last edited by lotech; 08-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.
08-28-2016, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I thought that is why every camera is packed with a neck strap.
08-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, that is a notorious failure point for those clips. I like to look for the kind built with a washer. Seems to help prevent failure. Either that or I have just been lucky with them.