Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend the K-5IIS for the detail capability if you are going to stay with the 16 mp sensor.

08-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
Hi to all!

I'm proud owner of K-5 II for over two years and now I'm considering to buy second DSLR. Since I like K-5 II, I'm thinking to go with that model again, but now with K-70 on the market, I'm thinking are there (and what are) any advantages of K-70? On K-5 II I like sturdy design, top lcd, long battery life and, of course, image quality. Also, 2nd hand K-5 II is almost US$200-300 lower than a new K-70.

Or perhaps it's best to go with something that you already know.

Thanks!
The AF module is the same, yes.

Despite the more consumer-oriented button layout and lack of a top LCD, I think you'd find yourself using the K-70 more if you got one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks for replies. Backup, from my point of view, is second camera. That's the reason why I'm thinking of k-5II.
My other question is where is the K-5ii coming from? I've had very good luck in purchasing used-like-new cameras, but my Q-7 and K-30 each had a very low shutter count. In any case, I'm always concerned about getting someone else's lemon.,
08-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #19
Forum Member

Hi to all!

I'm proud owner of K-5 II for over two years and now I'm considering to buy second DSLR. Since I like K-5 II, I'm thinking to go with that model again, but now with K-70 on the market, I'm thinking are there (and what are) any advantages of K-70? On K-5 II I like sturdy design, top lcd, long battery life and, of course, image quality. Also, 2nd hand K-5 II is almost US$200-300 lower than a new K-70.

Or perhaps it's best to go with something that you already know.

Thanks!
I had a K-5IIs for over 3 years and then picked up a K-S2. I sold both and replaced them with a K-3II. To some extent, K-S2 is similiar to K-70 but with 20 MP instead and no Pixel shift. While I like the K-S2 a lot for IQ and the articulating screen, the fact that K-5II and K-S2 use different batteries made it more difficult than I like. It is not the cost but the need to keep both types of batteries ready is more work. If K-70 has AF similar to K-S2, then you may want to consider K-3 class and in particular K-3II. AF on K-3 is huge improvement over K-5II and K-S2.

08-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

OH I forgot the other big advantage of the K-70 over the K-3ii, if memory serves me well, it has a flippy screen. I've always wanted a flippy screen.

And there's a silver edition at no extra cost.
08-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I am a K-5iis owner in the same boat as you. I think you should wait to see what is over the horizon.

In my opinion, you will likely prefer the feel of you K-5ii over the K-70 design. Though the specs are nice, the build and overall operation will be noticeably different. I think you should wait to see what the next APSC will be, and purchase the K-3ii or the K-70 at a discounted price being informed of the new tech coming forward.

Just my opinion.
08-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #22

Original Poster
Perhaps l will wait for a little while. There's no need to rush.

08-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Having a top lcd is handy. It is one of the tools that I use routinely.
08-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Having a top lcd is handy. It is one of the tools that I use routinely.
The only advantage I can see over an articulated screen would be power saving. Am I missing something?
08-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
The only advantage I can see over an articulated screen would be power saving. Am I missing something?
It's easy to read in the daytime at any angle. It's also easier on the eyes & night vision compared to the back LCD in the nighttime if you have a model that lights up that nice gentle green like the k5 series. I suppose I could get used to not having it, but I'd rather have it than not have it.
08-30-2016, 03:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Your k-5II is top tier camera during it's time. The k-70 is a mid level camera. If you'd like to have a top level APSC camera, then you'll have to wait for a while. The k-5II is a very capable camera. I can say because I have one and I love it as much as my k-3II. When I bought my k-3II, I was looking for a brand new k-5IIs but, unfortunately it was no longer available as brand new. So that pushed me to the k-3II. As some have said, it's best you get a newer model. So if you want to buy now, I would say a k-70 will fit you. I believe most new lenses that will come out will have the KAF4 mount. So why bother having to update your camera? Why not just get a camera that will fit the new mount without a problem?
08-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I can't help with the specific camera as that comes down to precisely which feature/capabilities you require or would like. What I can say is that I use a K30 and a K50, and the fact that they share the same batteries, menus, button positions, etc., makes switching a "thoughtless" process. Therefore I would look closely at the physical layout of the alternatives and how I would expect to use them.

Last edited by nicolpa47; 08-30-2016 at 09:01 AM.