Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If a testing issue, it was a failure of engineering design testing and not a matter of units being outside manufacturing control specs (just my opinion...)
yes thanks for the correct wording.

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 07:24 ----------

As for how to test...sub-assemblies can be pulled at random (statistical sampling) for dark-frame testing with automated evaluation of pixel artifact.
Statistic sampling does not work well because fab defects may come in clusters. However process is controlled by other means (proper separate parametric test structures, if done well) , so the likelihood of having defects is very low, but not zero. The problem is internet blow up any occurrence of sensor defect, so if one person is unlucky and post it on forums, it propagates like fire. I don't now why people need to expose to the public anything that in the past you would do as revenge if your supplier would decline to provide after sales service. If someone observe a sensor defect on the K1, which can be 1/1000 units or much less , the first thing to do is to return the product to the vendor and not kick start an avalanche of discussions exposed worldwide.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-31-2016 at 10:25 PM.
09-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I dont get the aggression of some. Isn't forum suppose to be a place where you'd share an issue, or ask a question? Can't all be praise and high fives. At least not in my understanding of online communities, but its only my opinion. I already placed an order for my K-1, ill see if issues are there on a fresh batch of cameras (seller told me they've just arrived to their warehouse few days ago). Hope my first experience with a Pentax system will be a happy one)
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope it fits your needs and your expectations I know a few who have purchased and those owners are incredibly satisfied.

As for "aggression"...A lot has to do with the title of the thread. If the title is provocative or inflammatory, there are many who will take that as a signal to very quickly (in the first dozen or so comments) do battle in an attempt to settle the matter quickly. You probably did not intend to trigger that response, but it is evident that other users believed your intent was to fan the flames of a quality rumor with a new post on a topic already being discussed elsewhere and by insinuating that the white dot behavior is practically universal. I will admit to reading it that way.

Based on your other posts, I am pretty sure you were just doing due diligence as part of market research. After all, there is no sense making a purchase if it is clear from the outset that the product will disappoint in some critical feature. It is hard to say what the story is with the "white dots". I hope your new K-1 is not a source of disappointment in regards to long exposures and astrophotography work.

Steve
09-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope it fits your needs and your expectations I know a few who have purchased and those owners are incredibly satisfied.

As for "aggression"...A lot has to do with the title of the thread. If the title is provocative or inflammatory, there are many who will take that as a signal to very quickly (in the first dozen or so comments) do battle in an attempt to settle the matter quickly. You probably did not intend to trigger that response, but it is evident that other users believed your intent was to fan the flames of a quality rumor with a new post on a topic already being discussed elsewhere and by insinuating that the white dot behavior is practically universal. I will admit to reading it that way.

Based on your other posts, I am pretty sure you were just doing due diligence as part of market research. After all, there is no sense making a purchase if it is clear from the outset that the product will disappoint in some critical feature. It is hard to say what the story is with the "white dots". I hope your new K-1 is not a source of disappointment in regards to long exposures and astrophotography work.

Steve
Indeed I never meant to start a fight over anything, was just trying to figure out if I'm doing the right thing going with pentax, it's a pretty big decision) I've already switched the system once, and I'm not planning to do that again for a good number of years (hopefully Can't wait for the body to arrive, haven't been so excited over anything photo related since my initial purchase when I first got into photography a number of years ago)
09-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen multiple threads with people showing their samples of the issue, but I wanted to find out if anyone is not experiencing this issue? Someone that purchased a camera recently maybe? I wanted to get my body today, but I still have doubts since astro is one of the fields I'm interested in.

Threads discussing white noise:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/327326-k-1-white-dot-issue.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/327365-pentax-k-1-s...trotracer.html
My raw converter maps them out. I don't worry about it.

09-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried open RawTherapee, and it seems like a steep learning curve in that piece of software. It looks like there's a lot more depth in it than LR though
03-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My raw converter maps them out. I don't worry about it.
What is your RAW converter?
03-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
What is your RAW converter?
I think capture one maps them out.

03-11-2018, 02:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

And Lightroom, and Rawtherapee and well don't they all do it?
03-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And Lightroom, and Rawtherapee and well don't they all do it?
Not lightroom. Not sure about RT, I don't have much experience with it
03-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Not lightroom. Not sure about RT, I don't have much experience with it
A the white dots, sorry I was thinking about hot pixels for some reason.

Ok then Rawtherapee does a pretty good job removing them with the "Impulse noise reduction" function.
03-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A the white dots, sorry I was thinking about hot pixels for some reason.

Ok then Rawtherapee does a pretty good job removing them with the "Impulse noise reduction" function.
Aren't they the same? Hot pixels appear as white dots in some of my long exposure images. I don't see them with NR set on auto, but it doubles my exposure time which is a bummer. When I turn it off unfortunately I see quite a lot of hot pixels in shadows, at least in summer. In winter I don't see as many, I'm guessing sensor doesn't run nearly as hot in such cold conditions which makes sense.
03-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Aren't they the same? Hot pixels appear as white dots in some of my long exposure images. I don't see them with NR set on auto, but it doubles my exposure time which is a bummer.
I don’t know what they are, they don’t behave like normal hot pixels. “Normal” hot pixels are easily identified and removed by most (all?) raw converters, but these white dots are something else.
03-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don’t know what they are, they don’t behave like normal hot pixels. “Normal” hot pixels are easily identified and removed by most (all?) raw converters, but these white dots are something else.
I'll take your word on this, my previous camera did not have the issue so I wouldn't know what normal behavior is) I'm about to send my camera for a second run of "repairs" at precision, hope they'll fix something this time (last time they returned the body as it was, but included a free battery and replaced the body cap I used (third party) with a pentax one for some reason lol.