Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My mistake I thought I just had the K100D

Hi guy's,

I assumed I just had the K100D as my first camera but after playing around last night as I read about the K100D liking to chew through batteries I wanted to put mine through it's paces with my Energizer Lithium Rechargables only to discove I have the K100D Super. I hear you guy's yesterday mention that some of you own the Super. My question is, Is the K100D and the K100D Super the same camera or are there two? And if so I have been working on the assumption of just the K100D. Is there anything extra the Super does that I should be investigating?
I have been researching more into the photographers Triangle "Apeture, Shutter Speed and ISO" and practicing on my Cats with this. The more I read I really want to take charge of my shot's and learn as much about manual control rather than automatic, as if I wanted an automatic I would stick with my iPhone 6plus lol.
I am doing as you all suggest being patient going through manuals and researching and just enjoying taking beautiful photo's with great colour depth. Yet to try any of it's special features as just practicing with Portrait.
Also there is a switch near the lens it states AF or MF. is this Auto Focus and Manual Focus button? As the camera also has an Auto setting where you change through all the Landscape Portrait Panarama etc.

Again Thanks for your warm welcomes yesterday.

Sir Roc

09-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums! The K100D Super is the same as the K100D, except that it supports SDM lenses. Otherwise, they are the same camera, IIRC.
The switch near the lens mount lets you select Auto-focus or Manual focus (AF/MF).
Here's the link to the .pdf version of the manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k100d-sp.pdf
I would also recommend reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - its a great tool. Enjoy your camera! I have the K100D and still use it quite a bit - it's more than capable of great photos
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, pretty much the same camera except for SDM lens support, dust removal feature (useless IMHO), and SDHC support.
That should be all, I own a K100D Super but I never paid much attention at the differences with other models

One thing, the K100D Super was born with an already up-to-date firmware, since v1.00 integrated all the changes that were incrementally brought to the vanilla K100D, so DON'T update with a vanilla K100D firmware, the two are incompatible.
09-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K110D, with slightly fewer features than the K100D. I thought batteries have lasted quite well it it, but maybe that's because most of the time I've had it, the batteries never had to drive it's autofocus motor. I only recently finally got an autofocus lens. But that could be the solution for frustrated K100 owners, use more manual focus lenses and watch those batteries grow into active senior citizenship!

09-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I have the K110D, with slightly fewer features than the K100D. I thought batteries have lasted quite well it it, but maybe that's because most of the time I've had it, the batteries never had to drive it's autofocus motor. I only recently finally got an autofocus lens. But that could be the solution for frustrated K100 owners, use more manual focus lenses and watch those batteries grow into active senior citizenship!
My experience with Panasonic Infinium Ni-Mh (from 1500 to 1700 mAh after an analyze cycle in the MAHA Powerex charger) was something more than 200 pictures per set of batteries... most pictures with manual lenses though... using an old autofocus F-series 28-80mm the number of pictures dropped drastically... so yeah, what you said.