Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

K5II for concert shooting

I have a K5II and as well as landscape, I also like to shoot concerts. In a concert situation, I often get mixed results with AF. This past weekend, I shot a series of concerts in my town and got horrendously bad keeper rates with the K5II. I am assuming this is due to lower coloured lights. The dominent colour was red a lot of the time too. Does anyone else shoot concerts with a K5II and if so, are there any work-arounds for this? Everything focuses just fine in day to day shooting, it's just this light condition that gives me grief. Also, my wife's Nikon D700 gave me amazingly great results. I've never really had thoughts of changing brands, but I am kind of tired of Pentax holding me back from what I love due to quirky performance. I also had the K5, so I know what bad focus issues are like.

Last edited by ronp; 09-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.
09-01-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had too many problems at concerts. The way I set myself up is like this:
- Always shoot in RAW and with WB in daylight so all shots are the same. In P.P. chose the best WB rendition and synchronise, you solve the red light problems better like that. If you can get a few readings from a WhiBal card before the concert or take a reading off whitish surfaces-if possible- with the sampler.
- Jack up ISO to get 1/60 or 1/125 speed max - no more, I like some blur... at f2.8 or 3.5 max, or less if you can do that.
- I use the AF button, not the half press, because things are moving fast on stage. DOF at 2.8 covers a lot of stage.Takes practice but I find that it work a lot better for me. The half press button is only good when you press, things might change a split second later, whereas with the AF button you have the focus plane covered and things can move...a bit, and it does make a difference.
- If you don't want to use the AF button are you set up properly for the AF to function continuously, SEL in C and so forth... How many focus points are you using, or just the one in the center - like I do? If you are using several one may focus on a bad area...?
In short, I find the AF is fine on the K5 and K5IIs and it also depends on how close you are as well, unless you are looking for the super tack sharp image which I find may be too much and not natural enough for a concert...? There is too much hype about that AF on Pentax, I find?
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronp Quote
I have a K5II and as well as landscape, I also like to shoot concerts. In a concert situation, I often get mixed results with AF. This past weekend, I shot a series of concerts in my town and got horrendously bad keeper rates with the K5II. I am assuming this is due to lower coloured lights. The dominent colour was red a lot of the time too. Does anyone else shoot concerts with a K5II and if so, are there any work-arounds for this? Everything focuses just fine in day to day shooting, it's just this light condition that gives me grief. Also, my wife's Nikon D700 gave me amazingly great results. I've never really had thoughts of changing brands, but I am kind of tired of Pentax holding me back from what I love due to quirky performance. I also had the K5, so I know what bad focus issues are like.
You've got some sample shots with EXIF data, Ronp?

I never had a problem with the K-30, a very similar camera.

The review in this forum says about yours: "In low light under EV 0, the K-5 II outperforms its predecessor as well as its Canon and Nikon rivals, the 7D and D7000."

Select your AF point in advance and choose as its target a vertical line on the subject with high contrast (can be horizontal if you use the centre points). Luckily performers often remain in favourite positions - just be careful not to get the microphone instead of the singer.

I find getting exposure trickier. Even going one even two steps lower, you might find the faces blown out by LED lighting. And of course, it pays to wait for the spots to change from red to another colour, since there's so little energy in red light.

Last edited by clackers; 09-01-2016 at 10:25 PM.
09-01-2016, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Quit covering popular music concerts for local publication, hit my limit with ridiculous rules. But I have been using K5 and K5IIs bodies for theater dance performances past 5 years, all sorts of lighting schemes.

I've never shot anything but DNGs, Auto WB because I global adjust in ACR to eye. All rear AF, single center point and I track dancers. Stage lighting routinely blows out saturation of red somewhat and blue & purple a lot. Once you get rid of the cartoon colors ( drop saturation in ACR) you'll see things look a lot better.

Most stages start at about EV 7 or 8 so my base settings start at 1/320 sec., f4 and ISO 3200. The jazz company makes me especially crazy, really dark stages, all reds or blues or greens, smoke machines, projections, you name it. The attached is an easy one from last June, an annual recital. K5IIs & Sigma 100-300/4. Wide open at f4, slowed down to 1/250 and ISO 12,800. From rear of theater.,

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 02-24-2017 at 12:47 PM.
09-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I have always shot with manual focus, I tend to get less "sharp mic stand shots" that way, and more faces right.
09-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have always shot with manual focus, I tend to get less "sharp mic stand shots" that way, and more faces right.
This one of legendary Northern Ireland punkers Stiff Little Fingers, I had no choice, it was a K-mount Samyang 24mm lens on a Sony A7, so yes, everything from focus to exposure was manual:

09-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you to all for the input. I have had experience shooting concerts for several years and have had great results in the case of the larger, more well lit concerts. The larger ones have white spots on main performers so that works well. My biggest challenge has been this little stage that is poorly lit as I said before. The problem is inaccurate focus, high delete rate due to softness. It's really as if the camera isn't accurately focusing in that light, while normal lighting seems to be fine. The one thing I haven't tried is back button focus, but other than that, I'm fine. I shoot in manual mode all the time as the meter isn't going to be all that accurate in concert settings. I try to keep my shutter at 1/320 or faster to avoid soft images due to that. Not sure what else to say. As I said before, my issues aren't from technical issues, they seem to be stemming from an inability of the camera to focus in that shitty light. As IO said before, I also used a Nikon D700 at the same shows and the only deleters were due to photographer error, not focus issues.
09-02-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronp Quote
Thank you to all for the input. I have had experience shooting concerts for several years and have had great results in the case of the larger, more well lit concerts. The larger ones have white spots on main performers so that works well. My biggest challenge has been this little stage that is poorly lit as I said before. The problem is inaccurate focus, high delete rate due to softness. It's really as if the camera isn't accurately focusing in that light, while normal lighting seems to be fine. The one thing I haven't tried is back button focus, but other than that, I'm fine. I shoot in manual mode all the time as the meter isn't going to be all that accurate in concert settings. I try to keep my shutter at 1/320 or faster to avoid soft images due to that. Not sure what else to say. As I said before, my issues aren't from technical issues, they seem to be stemming from an inability of the camera to focus in that shitty light. As IO said before, I also used a Nikon D700 at the same shows and the only deleters were due to photographer error, not focus issues.
Let's see 'em, Ron!

09-02-2016, 04:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lighting is consistent enough have you tried setting the white balance to one of the fluorescent settings.

Also, try using a fixed AF point.

If you have the $$$ I would also recommend a K3. More AF points, smaller AF points and faster focussing.

Howie Be
09-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
so yes, everything from focus to exposure was manual:
Like me, doing it the "hardcore" way.