Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Renting a K1

I am shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and am seriously considering renting a K1. It is not that I need it, but it seems like a good excuse to try one out. Before anyone tells me it is a bad idea to shoot a wedding with an unfamiliar camera, please know I will get it a few days early to play with, and it will not be my primary camera at the wedding.

My concern is processing the files. Will LightRoom 4 have issues with the files? If my computer is a bit slow with 16mp files, will I be crazy to try to process 36mp files? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

09-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Before anyone tells me it is a bad idea to shoot a wedding with an unfamiliar camera,
It is a really bad idea to shoot a wedding with an unfamiliar camera.

I believe LR4 will handle the files if you shoot DNG and have LR fully updated. However, I no longer have LR4 so I cannot confirm that. I am quite certain it will not handle the K-1 PEF files. Regarding the file size I really see little difference between 16mp and 36mp files. However, I run a very fast system with SSD drives and 32gb memory. Lightroom itself does not seem to have any problems but if your disk speed is marginal then moving to the larger files likely will be noticeable.

Be warned that if you do rent the K-1, and a lens to match, you are not going to want to return it.
09-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My concern is processing the files. Will LightRoom 4 have issues with the files? If my computer is a bit slow with 16mp files, will I be crazy to try to process 36mp files? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Is it worth the money? It will be a couple hundred $ to rent this equipment for a few days. It is going to be a lot more expensive than buying a new version of lightroom + photoshop ($8-10 a month), for example.

As for processing, I can think of two options if LR4 doesn't work:
- you could download a trial version, but there might be issues with commercial use.
- you could use the ACR converter to get DNGs that will be compatible with LR4: https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
09-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you do rent it, you can also choose to shoot in DNG in-camera (or convert it to DNG).
I would say spend at least a day going through the manual so you can get familiar with the camera, so you know where the specific settings you may need are at & set up the camera the way you want beforehand.

09-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It is a really bad idea to shoot a wedding with an unfamiliar camera
I second that. Don't shoot a hi-pressure event with a "not so used to" body. You will regret it and then eventually you will hate K-1 for all the wrong reasons if at all you do. And I am sure K-1 would be a no brainer but to say the least it will double the stress on you on the event day if all else falls in place. Stress kills your creativity. And its not fun for the party to see a stressed ou/worked up Photog

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 09:44 AM ----------

it will not be my primary camera at the wedding
Your non-primary body should be a copy of your primary body for event shoots. So it is still a bad idea.
09-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Be warned that if you do rent the K-1, and a lens to match, you are not going to want to return it.
That is my other concern!

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Your non-primary body should be a copy of your primary body for event shoots. So it is still a bad idea.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. When I shoot with two bodies my backup is always an older model. Works well in my world.
09-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I shoot with two bodies my backup is always an older model. Works well in my world.
Whatever works, of course

In another thread this was discussed and I made the point of differentiating between a 'backup' and a 'second camera'. The distinction might be small and not everyone will agree of course. However I strongly feel that a 'backup' should be the same exact body, configured identically. My thought being that if your camera fails in the middle of a shoot you go into panic mode and the last thing you need is to try and adjust to a different body. I just want to grab another body, that is identical, and keep shooting.

A second camera on the other hand is quite often my older body and I don't mind it being different. I might have a different lens mounted, fisheye for example, and just use it for those shots. Of course it is still there if the primary and backup both fail but I don't consider it my backup.

Anyway, we are straying off topic and you already said you understand about new cameras at a gig.

I did have a thought about your original question, how about downloading some K-1 RAW files and trying them out on your hardware to see if they impact performance?

09-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and am seriously considering renting a K1...

I believe that the answers to both these questions is yes. I have attached info from the Adobe site that details the version of Camera Raw or LR that is needed to accept either PEF or DNG files from the K-1. LR4 is way behind that requirement. In addition, I think the pc will crawl with that file size if it is slow with your 16mp files.

As suggested previously, downloading a raw K-1 file will give you definitive answers regarding their compatibility with your pc and software.
Attached Images

09-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I have attached info from the Adobe site that details the version of Camera Raw or LR that is needed to accept either PEF or DNG files from the K-1. LR4 is way behind that requirement. .
Wow! If that really came from Adobe, how could Adobe get it so wrong?

The K-1 outputs DNG version 1.2.0.0. Adobe published that specification on 12 May 2008. ACR 4.5, DNG Converter 4.5, and Lightroom 2.0, released on 29 July 2008, should all support it.

K-1 PEFs are obviously different. Adobe can't support those until they know their details, typically after a camera is released.
09-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
differentiating between a 'backup' and a 'second camera'.
I am going to call semantics on this one, but your definition of second camera works well. I always have a different lens on my second camera. On my primary I will typically have my 28-75 2.8, with a prime or a longer lens on my back... er... second camera and I switch between the two depending on which lens I want at the moment. Of course if I have a problem with my primary camera my second one will be the backup. And then I will have to pull out a third camera.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 05:51 PM ----------

I did have a thought about your original question, how about downloading some K-1 RAW files and trying them out on your hardware to see if they impact performance?
Now that is brilliant! Thanks so much!
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I have attached info from the Adobe site
Great chart there. I was going to take Adobe's word for it until...
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The K-1 outputs DNG version 1.2.0.0. Adobe published that specification on 12 May 2008. ACR 4.5, DNG Converter 4.5, and Lightroom 2.0, released on 29 July 2008, should all support it.
Thanks for all the great replies.
09-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to call semantics on this one, but your definition of second camera works well.
Yep, the distinction is small and will not matter to many at all so I won't argue that it is only semantics. I personally have trouble adjusting quickly to different cameras, but of course not everyone has that problem. Anyway it is whatever works for each of us that matters.