Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Something to check on the K200D

Hi All,

I've picked up the K200D and am generally very happy with it (having upgraded from the *DS).

I have two specific questions though;

1. I thought there would be front/rear curtain sync flash. A couple of the more reputable websites indicated that this was available on the flash menu. Any differing opinions? Am I missing something?

2. I have noisy images! Admittedly at slower shutter speeds, but even @ISO 100 There are small chroma noise spots when magnified. Is this due to the underexposure issue with this camera (I have set@ +0.3 EV most of the time)?

Shooting in raw and with the D-range off does not seem to help, and switching on/off the slow shutter NR does not improve the situation. Backing off the sharpness to below middle does help somewhat.
I usually shoot with the natural setting, and have a 16-45mm on the front at present if this helps.

Is this just a function of a 10MP rather than a 6MP sensor?

Thoughts appreciated.

07-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
MJB

Hi,

I do not know about the flash issue you are asking about offhand, but I do know my AF 350 flash will sync in general down to 1/180s with my K200D. Hope that is of some use.

On the second part, I have no noise issues with my K200D.

Good luck.

Enjoy the day.
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

Hi,
1. Manual says yes but I do not see it. Page 140 indicates tha the built in flash will be set to rear curtain sync when used with external flash set to the same mode.
2. I don't quite understand. How many noise spots? If it is just a few, then it might be defective pixels. Goto menu-setup-pixel mapping (page 216) and perform the function. Procedure will take care of the defective pixels.

Have fun
07-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the advice regarding the pixel mapping, i've given this a go and will check on the difference later today in daylight.

Reading the flash mode comments in the Manual I came to the conclusion that this mode was ONLY available from the menu if there was a external flash set. As I do not have a pentax external flash I won't be checking this anytime soon.....

Thanks kindly.