Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #16
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Geoff,
Sorry to hear of the double woes. In addition to ebay, I'd also check kijiji and craigslist.

09-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

man that's jacked up, then to see them sold on ebay? Thats nuts....you should also check pawnshops in the area. That's pretty dumb that they thought they could get away with selling the stuff on ebay. Might also want to check with places like KEH, B&H, Adorama who all buy and sell used equipment. I'm pretty sure they keep SNs on file.
09-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #18
mee
Site Supporter

A week out it might be tough to find the other items now. Who takes the kids toys? come on now... they must have been really desperate.

I've never had anything stolen while on vacation, but have been approached a few times by people in parking lots asking if I wanted to buy various items.. usually jewelry iirc.. seemingly hot items. I'm guessing but it seems there is a market for hot items if people are willing to ask total strangers if they want to buy these items out of the blue at dirt cheap prices.

I'll keep an eye peeled for anything that might be yours though..

At the very least (or most) you can be thankful your family wasn't in the motorhome when the thieves decided to ransack it. You still have time to make more memories..
09-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Quite frankly if YOUR Items are identified on Ebay You have the Guy by his Balls....Its going to take some time but he wont get out of it !
Press the Detective and also contact Ebay.....they don't take lightly this kind of thing at all.
If a Forum member purchased the lens why not simply ask him for the sellers name and address ?
Buyers on Ebay ALWAYS have full contact info for the Seller.....ALWAYS.
The links provided DONT take me to the item ?
Please post/PM the completed auction numbers on the two known Items sold so I can do a reverse search and I will get some info for you if the Scum has anything else for sale.
Don't give up......You already got someone that's gonna PAY !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 09-03-2016 at 09:46 PM.
09-03-2016, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also check out http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/, Lenstag, and www.CameraTrace.com
09-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Take the auction numbers from Ebay and click on the ADVANCED Search button. Click on COMPLETED Auctions and enter the auction number.
I see both items , Seller ID , and location , but out of respect for the OP wont post it here.
The Gears are Turning.......
09-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

So sorry to hear it. I'll keep an eye out on my local Craigslist (Vegas) for any of your stuff. I had my beloved Pentax MX stolen years ago and I still feel the pain.
09-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Take the auction numbers from Ebay and click on the ADVANCED Search button. Click on COMPLETED Auctions and enter the auction number.
I see both items , Seller ID , and location , but out of respect for the OP wont post it here.
Good job! The OP should definitely contact EBay; they won't be happy to know that they are participating in selling stolen goods.

09-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Geoff, I'm so sorry to hear of this theft, especially the HD's with all your photos from the trip. I'm so hoping some or all can be located & returned, and also hoping the criminal(s) are caught!

Until then, get some kind of camera and keep making those memories of the remainder of this trip; it will be some consolation, I hope.
09-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does your motorhome insurance cover contents?
09-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Good question! This might be of great help to the OP.
09-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, list all the serial numbers in the serial number data base here, and list them as stolen! Someone might miss your thread, but might look up the serial numbers.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
09-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Unfortunately my motorhome coverage, which is full coverage, only covers the vehicle and those things that came from the factory. My personal items are not covered. I would have needed homeowners insurance. Which I did not have. I assumed my regular motorhome insurance would have covered it. My naivete was my downfall.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm so sorry to hear of this theft, especially the HD's with all your photos from the trip.
Yeah, I'm upset abote everything, but my hard drives more than all. I can eventually replace all of my gear if I want, but I'll never to replicate the images captured on the trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The OP should definitely contact EBay;
Ebay wants regular people that are victims of crimes on ebay or have info about fraud on their site to contact the police/FBI and have them contact ebay directly. I have spoken to ebay and told them my story. They made note of it on my member profile, but they will do nothing until law enforcement contacts them.

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I'll keep an eye out on my local Craigslist (Vegas) for any of your stuff.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I had no idea that was possible. I'll be doing this immediately

I've subsequently listed my stuff on lenstag, but was unaware about the other two. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
At the very least (or most) you can be thankful your family wasn't in the motorhome when the thieves decided to ransack it.
Yes, that is my sidelining to the whole episode. Things were bad, but could have easily been worse.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I also failed to mention the financial crimes division...IE wire fraud...
I'll have to look into that, thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the item(s) were shipped USPS then the Postal Inspector can get involved.
I spoke to the USPS, and they said that I could do nothing in this matter and would have to be contacted by law enforcement.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
If I were you I would call the FBI Cyber crimes division.
When I spoke to ebay, they suggested I do the same. Ebay suggested ic3.gov, which is the FBI's cyber crime complaint site. Ebay said they were seamlessly with the FBI and that the FBI would have the wherewithal and resources to help me the way the local PD cannot.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Hope you can recover most of the stolen gear. I'll monitor my local Craigslist (Dallas) in case any of that equipment made its way down here.
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
If a forum member purchased the stolen D-FA 150-450 on eBay, who was the eBay seller - can the police work with that?
They can. The buyer of the lens I have been in contact with has given me transaction information, user names, emails, and shipping info. I have passed this info on to the St. Louis PD, and the FBI.

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
That's awful. It has to show up somewhere, probably on craigslist. Good you have the serial numbers!
I have been looking on St. Louis craigslist with no hits. I don't believe you can browse craigslist by sold listing like you can ebay, so if I'm not monitoring it all of the time and something sells, I'll never know.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Put your equipment in the database in the site marked stolen.
I'll be doing that, thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's awful! I'm embarrassed for my city. I understand this sort of thing happens to tourists and visiting bar bands quite often. I'll call the manager of Creve Couer Camera here (sold me my K-1) and ask her to alert all their stores to your loss. My bet is it went to pawn shops but you never know.
I think I'll speak to a radio personality friend too, but I don't know what result that will have.
Thank you for your help. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the Gateway Arch, and the parts of the city that I experienced. I would go back, though I wouldn't be parking my car in the same neighborhood.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wonder if it's worth letting the larger national retailers know your list? B&H, Adorama, etc., in case anyone tries to sell items to them?
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Hope you can concentrate on the trip and allow your wife to have a good time and enjoy herself.
That's definitely the goal. I think we're all doing a good job of making the most of our trip and enjoying it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
A week out it might be tough to find the other items now. Who takes the kids toys? come on now... they must have been really desperate.
I wish they'd listed all my items on ebay, but they only listed the biggest ticket items. I've been looking around pawn shops and craigslist, with no success.
Regarding the toys. My kids each had a backpack where they kept their toys. The guy broke in and grabbed my K-3 with 150-450 attached and all the bags he could carry. I don't think he would have taken a quarter of the bags he took, including the toys, if he knew what was in them.

The kind words and concern is much appreciated and frankly overwhelming. Thank you everybody for the suggestions and thanks to everyone that PM'ed me.
09-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
When I spoke to ebay, they suggested I do the same. Ebay suggested ic3.gov, which is the FBI's cyber crime complaint site. Ebay said they were seamlessly with the FBI and that the FBI would have the wherewithal and resources to help me the way the local PD cannot.

Thank you.

Take that ball and run with it. Don't jack around waiting either.
09-04-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are are the kids and what toys do they like? I have a 12.5 year old who just remodeled his room and we have things that we need to give away.