Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
With all due respect, that isn't at all likely to happen. We already have CaNikon cameras at CaNikon prices.
...and those who want that feature set might be better off with those products. FWIW, the gee whiz features are missing from the higher tier Canon/Nikon products. Pentax raised a few eyebrows with the trick rear LCD on a flagship camera and time will tell whether it become a durability issue in field use.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-05-2016 at 04:06 PM.
09-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Kuerig makes cameras?
No! All the more reason for Pentax to add the feature. First to market is smart.

Steve

(..visions of clever videos dancing in head. Freezing photog dips the WR camera in the near-frozen arctic pond (fills reservoir in battery grip) as the wind whips the hood of his parka and snowflakes race by. He shelters behind a rock and pushes a button to dispense hot joe...killer feature...)
09-05-2016, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and those who want that feature set might be better off with those products. FWIW, the gee whiz features are missing from the higher tier products. Pentax raised a few eyebrows with the trick rear LCD on a flagship camera and time will tell whether it become a durability issue in field use.

Steve
I truly fail to understand the need for Pentax to be Canon or Nikon.
09-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #49
Site Supporter

I truly fail to understand the need for Pentax to be Canon or Nikon.
Indeed...both the 70D and D7100 (Canon and Nikon comparable models at the time) are very capable cameras, but my K-3 is a better fit for my needs with the Canon being the least of the three. FWIW, I also scratched the Sony A7 off the short list at the time of my purchase (Spring 2014).

Steve

09-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, and often enough those leaks are of a product announcement with no projected release date.
The kind of leaks I'm looking for are those just a few days before a product release (from where they got the information). They're easy to recognize.
09-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The kind of leaks I'm looking for are those just a few days before a product release (from where they got the information). They're easy to recognize.
i Suspect at Photokina Ricoh will show:
  • 645z
  • K-1
  • K-70
  • K-3Il
  • The D FA lenses
  • Some 645 lenses
  • BIG space for Theta - maybe something new
  • Announce 5 or 6 D FA lenses
It is possible there aren't any leaks to ruminate about.
09-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i Suspect at Photokina Ricoh will show:
  • 645z
  • K-1
  • K-70
  • K-3Il
  • The D FA lenses
  • Some 645 lenses
  • BIG space for Theta - maybe something new
  • Announce 5 or 6 D FA lenses
It is possible there aren't any leaks to ruminate about.
GRII will be there.

We will know the future for Q, and the compact and action camera's.
09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
GRII will be there.

We will know the future for Q, and the compact and action camera's.
Yep. I left the GRll off in error.

09-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep. I left the GRll off in error.
Did you mean GRIII ?
09-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Did you mean GRIII ?
No I didn't. They always come in April. Every other year.
09-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #56
Pentaxian

We don't need more of the same...Pentax, Canon, Nikon all have the enthusiast on lock, that's good for them and we love our pro(ish)-cameras and high end lenses. Those will never go away and they will probably keep getting better. What pentax really needs to do is tap into the young market who is used to using smartphones. They don't want clunky controls and menus. They want touch screens, icons, apps, connectability. Nikon has bluetooth on their cameras now, sure its slow, but it also give the possibility to instantly have your picture on your phone ready to upload to social media. What pentax needs to do is something like introducing ILC that runs android, one that has great connectability to social media. They need to work on the software side of things. The hardware is mostly there (we already know AF needs improvement but that will come). Pentax has always been behind on connectability, this is somewhere that they could not only improve for themselves but they could also excel at and maybe give them the leg up on canon, nikon, or even sony. Build a way to connect to phones on the go, and quick ways to upload to facebook, instagram, snapchat etc etc. Take the smartphone experience, put that on the back of a camera. They could take what they have learned from the pentax Q, and build this system on top of that. Like it or not, that is where the future of the camera industry is. Yes I know Samsung has tried these things, but their camera/smartphone things didn't know what they were and as a result weren't very good at being a phone or a camera and samsung isn't as established as pentax is in the camera industry. Pentax could build a camera that is at its very core is first a camera, but have better connectability and the ability to run apps from an established app store like the google play store. Let 3rd party app developers make apps for it. All of this tech exists, a company just needs to put it together and make it work. If they can do this and be successful, think of all of the R&D money they would have to improve all of their line-up, to create more lenses...you can't keep doing more of the same and expect to be a successful business.
09-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I'm not ready for a new camera. I got my k-5II last 2014 and my k-3II September 2015 as I normally shoot with 2 bodies, one for a shorter lens and the other for the longer lens. I'll never go up to full frame. I just hope they'll keep developing the APSC line. Rumors and new products keep this forum alive. I'll be glad to see more new products in the future.
09-07-2016, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm not ready for a new camera.
Neither am I. But I know I will be in about, let's say ... 3 years. And I hope Pentax puts out a couple of exciting top-of-the-range APS-C models until then. I want to see improvements in certain areas, so I know I can get my hands onto a great camera when it's time
09-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I suspect that with the K-1 relatively fresh, that the K3-ii successor will wait a bit longer than might normally happen before the FF body. Pentax do not have a bid enough customer base to have what I'd call two flagships out in close succession competing against each other. They don't have the luxury Nikon or Canon have with their huge customer bases. The K-1 has eaten away at some potential sales for a K-3 successor. Even the K70 is probably going to do that. I think they have to wait a bit to give consumers to upgrade their K70, Ks2 cameras as that has to be their target audience (in addition to the K3/K5 folks who didn't buy a K-1).

As a K3 (not ii) owner, I'm still quite happy with the body, happier than I've been with any Pentax camera. I suppose I would have been with my K-5, but I chose to upgrade. I can't see any features on the horizon that would entice me to upgrade if Pentax came out with a successor. I'm not interested in FF, but that seems to be the biggest improvement I could do in terms of camera body. Better auto-focus would be nice including improved performance with manual lenses, but I don't see that coming any time soon (if the K-1 has that, then maybe it'll happen). The only other issue I can see is the newer lens mount, which my K3 does not have. I'd have to want to buy one of those lenses first. The only way I might be enticed is if Pentax releases a ~20 mm-1.8 lens to complement my 31/43/77 combo.

In other words, I'm more interested in new lenses than new bodies, especially a fast prime in that 20-mm area.
09-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm not ready for a new camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Neither am I.
I suspect these recurring threads regarding a K-3/K-3II replacement are coming from people who are considering a gear upgrade, but for whom the current models are not a big enough step up in features or specs to justify a purchase now. I was in that position when the K-5II launched and was quite ready to buy when the K-3 became available.

Steve