Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
What I wrote april 28th.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
When I look in my marble then I for see the following in the future.

Hi end is the business that can make money. We have the K-1 and some lenses and a lens roadmap that says new lenses for next year.

What to expect for this fiscal year.
- a follower to the K-S2, probably at Photokina
- no new Hi end aps-c, since the K-3ii is good and sales are shifting to K-1
- maybe a 645 with 100MP at cp+
- nothing for Q.
- new Theta
- no new lenses.

Not much, but enough to serve the market.
The fiscal year runs until march 31st 2017.

I think that will come true. On the new lenses, I just expect them in shops after april 1st 2017 in the next fiscal year. I realise that most people jump happy on the announcement, but that is not yet the time of being available in shops mostly. K-1 and the new lenses where in shops at the time I wrote this.

Edit....we already have the 55-300mm as a surprise. Tamron just announced 18-270mm new and maybe that will come for Pentax to.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-05-2016 at 07:51 AM.
09-05-2016, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #32
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

not enough

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Aren't the K-1 and K-70 enough??

The K-3II and K-70, especially with PS, are already pushing the limits of APSC and are, in terms of image quality, right at the top of the APSC game this season. What OP described is already mostly found in the K-70, no?

a new k-01 is welcome and a

new Q :

09-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #33

Everybody keeps asking (mainly) for better AF and IQ.
Maybe the reason there's no successor announced is because they haven't been able to improve them enough to make buyers (And reviewers) happy...?
09-05-2016, 05:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

When (how long before the official announcement) did you find out about the K-70? K-3 II? K-3?
Why do you think you would find out in advance about a K-3II successor, if it didn't happen for the other cameras?

09-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
When (how long before the official announcement) did you find out about the K-70? K-3 II? K-3?
Why do you think you would find out in advance about a K-3II successor, if it didn't happen for the other cameras?
We are 15 days out from Photokina. This is around the time leaks start to happen.
09-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #36
Pentaxian

The K-70 specs leaked, AFAIK, 2 days before the official announcement; same for the K-1.
09-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Aren't the K-1 and K-70 enough??
No. There isn't a Pentax camera that has the right combinations. For example, what Pentax APS-C camera has SAFOX 12, an articulated LCD, and two card slots? (And there are other combinations that are not available).

The K-3II and K-70, especially with PS, are already pushing the limits of APSC and are, in terms of image quality, right at the top of the APSC game this season. What OP described is already mostly found in the K-70, no?
I think the general feeling of people who have analysed what Pentax needs is: a new APS-C flagship camera that is a combination of the K-1 (where it has technology that can work on an APS-C camera), the K-3II itself (hence no regression and hopefully some evolution), and the K-70. (And I would expect Ricoh to add a surprise or two!)

Even that wouldn't push the limits of APS-C. There is unlikely to be a Pentax APS-C camera in the near future that has the sports/action capability of the D500.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Why are we trying to rush a new camera out already?..the K3 and K3II are hardly old...
The K-5 had been out about 2 years, then the K-5II(s) was launched, then about year later the K-3.

If the K-3-series matches that, now is the time for a new series. (I suspect it will be delayed a bit relative to the K-5-series).

Given the features of the K-1 and the K-70, the K-3II now looks a bit out-dated.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The K-3 II successor is the K1.
I hope not!

Significantly lower frame rate. (4.4 fps versus 8.3 fps). Unless a 15 MP APS-C-sized subset of the sensor is used.

25 of about 40 lenses in the current lens-line-up are designated to work at APS-C, which is 15 MP on the K-1.

Much more expensive than would be expected of a K-3II successor.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Everybody keeps asking (mainly) for better AF and IQ.
Maybe the reason there's no successor announced is because they haven't been able to improve them enough to make buyers (And reviewers) happy...?
Those aren't the only things that people are talking about. An articulated LCD is another thing.

If they launched a camera at the price of the K-3II with SAFOX 12 and an articulated LCD, it wouldn't set the world alight, but it would make buyers happier than having to buy the current K-3II. And if they added evolutionary capability, (for example, higher fps, and some tweaks and surprises), that would make buyers even happier.

There are specification-levels between the K-3II and the "Ideal APS-C camera" (whatever that is) that could be satisfactorily launched, albeit with some criticism. (There would be criticism from people who want a D500 at a K-3II price!)

09-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
No. There isn't a Pentax camera that has the right combinations. For example, what Pentax APS-C camera has SAFOX 12, an articulated LCD, and two card slots? (And there are other combinations that are not available).

I think the general feeling of people who have analysed what Pentax needs is: a new APS-C flagship camera that is a combination of the K-1 (where it has technology that can work on an APS-C camera), the K-3II itself (hence no regression and hopefully some evolution), and the K-70. (And I would expect Ricoh to add a surprise or two!)
Spot-on analysis.

The K-3's successor is definitely not the K-1.
09-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

My hope for the next Pentax APS-C flagship is that it have the following:

1. USB-3
2. Articulating screen w/Touch Screen Menu and Focusing
3. A frame rate of at least 10fps
4. Canon type Dual Pixel Focusing w//Eye focus.
5. Full APS)C sensor 4K video
6. OEM Phottix type HSS/TTL flash system with 1/250 sync speed.
7. Edge to edge focus point focus points w/joystick
8. XQD or C-Fast card with larger buffer and faster transfer rate.
9. Better Autofocus system.
09-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(There would be criticism from people who want a D500 at a K-3II price!)
That ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Everything I have heard all over the place indicates that the D500 hit it out of the park, and Nikon excelled themselves with it. It will be a hard act to follow.

Pentax may of course yet surprise us, and quite frankly the density of focus points in the K-1's crop zone alone would be an asset and a significant improvement on any Pentax crop DSLR, as would a significantly improved AF-C tracking algorithm (translating, hopefully, to more accurate manipulation of an improved screwdrive motor for those lenses which still use it).

But the debate about "What are we likely to get?" all too often degenerates into "What do we [fancifully] want?", and while I want a wishlist of things as long as any giant squid's arms, what I really want (and what Pentax has to deliver) is continual improvement over whatever has gone before, at a price that won't break the bank.

I have to admit that as much as I want Pentax to succeed and grow (or at least fully consolidate), I don't have an active dog in the APS-C fight any more - I'm more than happy to discuss the technicalities of it, but I've decided that my next DSLR is going to be full-frame, and with the exception of a slight loss of pixel density in crop mode, everything about moving from the K-5 to the K-1 will represent an improvement for me. I'm not going to agonise over what I might gain or lose by staying with APS-C instead.
09-05-2016, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

People should be made to put down a 10% deposit on whatever they're asking for
09-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect, that isn't at all likely to happen. We already have CaNikon cameras at CaNikon prices.
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
My hope for the next Pentax APS-C flagship is that it have the following:

1. USB-3
2. Articulating screen w/Touch Screen Menu and Focusing
3. A frame rate of at least 10fps
4. Canon type Dual Pixel Focusing w//Eye focus.
5. Full APS)C sensor 4K video
6. OEM Phottix type HSS/TTL flash system with 1/250 sync speed.
7. Edge to edge focus point focus points w/joystick
8. XQD or C-Fast card with larger buffer and faster transfer rate.
9. Better Autofocus system.
09-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
We are 15 days out from Photokina. This is around the time leaks start to happen.
Yep, and often enough those leaks are of a product announcement with no projected release date.

Steve
09-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For example, what Pentax APS-C camera has SAFOX 12, an articulated LCD, and two card slots? (And there are other combinations that are not available).
Which supports K-cup...none

Steve
09-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which supports K-cup...none

Steve
Kuerig makes cameras?