Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still looking for a tilt-screen...

What in heavens name it the K-3ii doing without a tilt screen?

The K-1 has a tilt screen
The K-70 hos a tiltscreen
The K-S2 has a tilt screen?

Th K-x was one of my favourite cameras ever, and my daughter-in-law still loves it. If Pentax thinks I can't be happy with a second tier camera, they are about to be sadly mistaken.

Last edited by normhead; 09-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.
09-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect these recurring threads regarding a K-3/K-3II replacement are coming from people who are considering a gear upgrade, but for whom the current models are not a big enough step up in features or specs to justify a purchase now....
Or, they could be like me, kind of thinking about an upgrade, but wanting to know what options will be available in another two weeks.

The truth is that Pentax does a good job of keeping their cards close to the vest, so we won't know anything for certain for another thirteen days. This is probably a lousy time to be a camera sales-person, with a number of potential customers like me sitting on the sidelines for the next two weeks.
09-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Or, they could be like me, kind of thinking about an upgrade, but wanting to know what options will be available in another two weeks.
How can I buy a K-70 when there might be a K-4 with pixel shift, a flippy screen, and built in GPS? It could be the camera of my dreams. Pentax keeps missing at least one feature for me. Sooner or later they have to get it right?

Last edited by normhead; 09-07-2016 at 07:04 PM.
09-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and still happy with it. I will wait until the replacement of the K-3 to decide if I go K-1 or K-? APSC. I still think base on my photo style n APSC will be a better choice

09-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #65

Sucessor

K3II is not old, BUT IT IS ALREADY OBSOLETE camera as it is JUST a K3 with MINOR modifications and ugly GPS housing Frankenstein-like placed in pop-up flash space. K3 development started in 2010. K3II was unveiled just as a stop-gap solution when Nikon started D7200 production. Proper K3 update had to be there year ago, but all engineers were working on K-1. Now the time is ticking fast in APS-C market and it will be tough task to catch D500 level.

Even KS-2 has features, that are missing on K3II. Not to mention K-70.

Flash back, articulating screen, upgraded video mode, new AF module, wifi, hi-ISO.... and hopefully new DA*16-50/2.8II to complement it
09-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
... and it will be tough task to catch D500 level.
That's not the target though - the competition are the 70D and D7200 series, maybe a notch above. Pentax would take a decade to catch up to the D500's AF.

QuoteQuote:
Even KS-2 has features, that are missing on K3II. Not to mention K-70.
I agree, not counting the absolutely minor update that the K3 II was, the K3 series is becoming a bit outdated.

QuoteQuote:
... and hopefully new DA*16-50/2.8II to complement it
OH YES, please. The DA* 16-50 f/2.8 is overpriced for its optical quality (which is just about on the level of the Sigma and Tamron variants) and plagued by SDM issues. Maybe instead of a DA* they could just make it an HD DA 16-55 f/2.8 DC WR, a cousin to the HD DA 16-85 DC WR. Not a DA* tank, but a solid, weather-sealed construction with better optics and faster AF, for a reasonable price (i.e. not €1,000).
If they want to ask for that amount of money, they have to make it worth it, i.e. better optical quality, faster, reliable AF, much like the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8.
09-08-2016, 03:45 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's not the target though - the competition are the 70D and D7200 series, maybe a notch above.
Indeed, a Pentax with D500 performance is unrealistic. There's too much catch up to do, and the result would be too expensive (the D500 is pricier than the K-1) - who would pay for such an expensive Pentax crop camera?
Or perhaps people are expecting D500-level performance at half the price?

We should get a next generation K-3II.

09-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3ll is very near a perfect camera. The question for Pentax is, do people still buy them?
09-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-3ll is very near a perfect camera.
Really? Compared to Canon and Nikon it has an underdeveloped AF and flash system, and image quality may be better than recent Canons, but not quite as good as Nikon's top APS-C models (D7200 and D500) any more.

It's a damn great camera, but it is nowhere close to perfect.
09-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H prices body only:
D500 $1,999
d7200 $1,046 Gray Market (says so in title and body text)
K-3ll $846

D500 is clearly not a comparable camera. d7200 is 24% more $, fewer features, lower image quality, equivalent AF. OBF is not a meaningful objection. It doesn't matter real world.

Pentax is unlikely to ever offer what you seem to want, which is how it should be. Pentax offers a different combination of features, strengths and weaknesses than other brands, which defines their brand strategy. If I wanted Nikon's combination, well, you know what I would do.
09-08-2016, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man, and here I'm stuck with my obsolete k-3. Guess I shouldn't bother taking photos ever until I get a new camera...
09-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
B&H prices body only:
D500 $1,999
d7200 $1,046 Gray Market (says so in title and body text)
K-3ll $846
In Europe/Germany (where camera gear is pretty much always more expensive than in the US) K3 II €900, D7200 €930.

QuoteQuote:
D500 is clearly not a comparable camera.
Agreed.

QuoteQuote:
d7200 is 24% more $, fewer features, lower image quality, equivalent AF.
No, superior AF (better tracking, almost twice as many AF points, probably the same accuracy in AF.S), better image quality (according to most reviews, DxOMark and objective image comparison tools I have used to compare DR and high ISO).

QuoteQuote:
OBF is not a meaningful objection. It doesn't matter real world.
I don't know what 'OBF' stands for, and neither do online acronym finders

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is unlikely to ever offer what you seem to want, which is how it should be. Pentax offers a different combination of features, strengths and weaknesses than other brands, which defines their brand strategy.
As of now Pentax offers the best combination of features for me. I take a worse AF and flash system because I value the ruggedness, small features, weather sealing and ergonomics more. But that doesn't keep me from still hoping for improvements in certain areas, and voicing these hopes. I am sure Nikon shooters are doing the same.

Oh, and just to reiterate - I don't hate the K3, I don't hate Pentax, I was simply agreeing with someone on here that the K3 could do with a major upgrade, because by now there are simply better cameras out there that have somewhat raised the bar (like the D7200).

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 09-08-2016 at 07:18 AM.
09-08-2016, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Oh, and just to reiterate - I don't hate the K3, I don't hate Pentax, I was simply agreeing with someone on here that the K3 could do with a major upgrade, because by now there are simply better cameras out there that have somewhat raised the bar (like the D7200).
Ya, well technically maybe. Practically? yawn. There's nothing in a D7200 I'm buying new camera for. And a D500 is twice the price for very little added functionality. If you focus on technical specs, and read sites like DxO you can con yourself into thinking all kinds of useless nonsense is meaningful.
09-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #74
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect these recurring threads regarding a K-3/K-3II replacement are coming from people who are considering a gear upgrade, but for whom the current models are not a big enough step up in features or specs to justify a purchase now. I was in that position when the K-5II launched and was quite ready to buy when the K-3 became available.
I'm in the position of having a K-5II and see the new features in the K-70 vs what is in the K-3II so I'm awaiting to see if they refresh it this year or not.. I don't want to get into the situation of buying the K-3II and then, a month or three later, they announce the successor with all the fancy bits I'm now missing. Esp since the prices on bodies haven't dropped so largely over time like they used to.

It is similar to when the K-30 was released before the K-3. The K-30 had upgraded features over what was in the K-5II at the time, but the K-3 wasn't out yet with those said features. So it was a case of go for the older higher-end body or go with the newer lower-end body. I went with the former and it has been a pretty good fit. But I want my cake and to eat it too. And, in this situation, it could be quite possible.

The successor has to come sooner than later.. the camera market isn't standstill.. and, despite some claims, Pentax is still competing in a market saturated with Canon and Nikon. Meaning: They (Canon and Nikon) largely define what is 'modern' and what is not since they control the largest portions of the crop body market. Argue it all you want, but when a buyer is comparing apples to apples, they are going to look for feature X Y Z across the spectrum of brands. This isn't advocating a 1:1 matching of features on each camera, but it is advocating that Ricoh has to keep the train moving forward with the market if they want to keep or build on their marketshare.

Otherwise they'd have kept cranking out K-50s... which are really K-30s... but they didn't they launched an update. I suspect the same for the upper end guy soonish too. Probably closer to CP+ time though.. (feb 2017). Yet holding out to see what happens in a week or two...

But it is a personal choice on what one buys. If you're happy with your camera's output, then keep using it. No one is twisting anyone's arm to upgrade, but some of us just want an upgrade. The updated features are beneficial to us and we don't have to validate that decision with anyone else.
09-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have to worry if my camera becomes obsolete. Ithink my plan is to grow old with mine.