Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... from my perspective Pentax was a better choice, but I am just a hobbyist.

The reason I like my K-3 (and even K-5) were because I have access to a nice compact system. The 31, 43, 77 limiteds and nice ergonomics of the Pentax cameras are hard to beat. Of course, ergonomics have nothing really to do with image quality. I like the weather sealing, even if I have few lenses to complement that. I like that when I am out and about, people are less apprehensive because my street photography setup of a K-3 + 21 or 43 are not intimidating at all. Yet again, this doesn't say much of the image quality.

However, when I look at images from a Pentax K-3, K-5, K-1, etc, compared with Nikon's offerings, I don't see huge differences. I see excellent photos from the Pentax cameras and I see excellent from Nikon cameras.I don't pixel peep or concern myself with noise any more. I see that Nikon is better for action shots, wildlife, birding etc. I see that the photographer matters more than the camera. Today's technology really makes the actual images fairly equal and the differences are really about pixel peeping.

I think if there is anything I'd want from Nikon in the Pentax it would be a little better auto-focus for tracking and continuous focus. I guess 50+ focus points might help with continuous focus? Otherwise, I don't see where that would be totally necessary. Because of the continuous focus problems with my K-3 (and K-5 previously), I don't use it often, and with a more static focus, I don't see myself wanting for more focus points.

Ultimately, I'm a landscape and aspiring street photographer. I dabble in wildlife, but I'm not wanting enough to spend the money into another system, and I love my Pentax camera. I'm not even sure I'll be in a hurry to upgrade into whatever the K-3 successor is. I'll probably just see what Ricoh offers in time and go from there.

09-15-2016, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just sold my D750 to purchase a K-3ii. Might seem crazy to some but whatever. Reading this thread makes me think I should never buy Pentax and stick with Nikon. My last Pentax was the K-20 and that focus was slooooow for any kind of action. But portraits I took were great. Each camera has a purpose and designated audience. If they didn't then every camera maker would only have one model. All this talk about 50+ focus points just reminds me that I set my camera on 1 or 9 so I can follow the center action. If I set to the whole broad spectrum, my daughter is lost in the crowd and out of focus because someone is nearer. If a successor to the K-3ii comes out in six months, sell the old and buy the new if is fills a need. Otherwise just keep taking pictures.
09-15-2016, 06:45 AM - 5 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbmiller Quote
I just sold my D750 to purchase a K-3ii. Might seem crazy to some but whatever. Reading this thread makes me think I should never buy Pentax and stick with Nikon. My last Pentax was the K-20 and that focus was slooooow for any kind of action. But portraits I took were great. Each camera has a purpose and designated audience. If they didn't then every camera maker would only have one model. All this talk about 50+ focus points just reminds me that I set my camera on 1 or 9 so I can follow the center action. If I set to the whole broad spectrum, my daughter is lost in the crowd and out of focus because someone is nearer. If a successor to the K-3ii comes out in six months, sell the old and buy the new if is fills a need. Otherwise just keep taking pictures.
It funny how folks like you just go about your business, make a comment in an obscure thread every now and then and just enjoy taking pictures. Where as those who have switched from Pentax to Nikon or Canon, are in here proselytizing every chance they get.

It doesn't matter how often you tell these people, you don't need 55 focus points. (90% of my images are centre point). They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell folks you are satisfied with 24 MP. They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell them, that shooting by your D800 buddies and comparing image, folks choose which image they like based on your composition and their interest in the subject matter, not by the resolution of the image, which often is not even apparent.. They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times I point out, our best selling image was taken with a 10 MP Optio 90 W, they don't get it.

There are a lot of people here who are thick as a brick with the heads stuck so far up their butts, they can't see, to the point, I've come to the conclusion, it's deliberate attention seeking behaviour. Thank god for the ignore function.

There are times when you just want to scream "Despite every technical deficiency you just pointed out in my K-3, it still has way more to offer than this camera you think is better, for my usage." The question is not "do they understand that." The question is, is their cantankerous in your face repetition of technical facts a deliberate tactic to get someone to talk to them because they are so lonely?"

"I like this camera more than the one you think is so great." is not the starting point of personal attacks, name calling and and endless stream of technical trivia that most people don't even care about. It's a statement of personal preference. This is a Pentax forum. Folks who can't read someone saying that about Pentax gear without calling them fanboys or whatever shouldn't even be allowed here.

What some folks don't seem to understand is people can read up about Pentax cameras, obtain one somewhere, decide they like the camera and post that online. That is not an invitation for some know it all to attempt an attitude adjustment.

Pentax user "I like my camera."
Negative forum members. " The AF is no good, it doesn't take good pictures, my camera is better than yours any $5000 Canikon camera is better."
These folks aren't on my forum... I ignore them. What I don't understand why the forum in general allows their participation.

There is something wrong when preferring the camera you bought makes you subject to ridicule, name calling and personal attacks. For some, I bought and use this camera because I like it is taken a an invitation for abuse.

I takes some kind of nerve to look at someone else's camera preference and say " This is why your choice is wrong." It's nobody else's choice, and unless it's asked for, no opinion is needed.

Last edited by normhead; 09-16-2016 at 02:59 PM.
09-15-2016, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It doesn't matter how often you tell these people, you don't need 55 focus points. (90% of my images are centre point).
Hey, I still stare at focus points like a dawg watchin' the news on TV. I'm STILL waitin' on someone that can explain why I need more than one center point -- or ground glass -- or AF either for that matter.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell folks you are satisfied with 24 MP.
Really?! That many of those l'il suckers, huh? I'm still puzzling over an explanation of sensors an' pixels being like various sized muffin bakin' pans - 4 chocolate, 4 strawberry and 4 blueberry ought'a do it for me!

09-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #110
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter how often you tell these people, you don't need 55 focus points. (90% of my images are centre point). They don't get it.
normal, they purchase their camera on what they feel they should buy (not what they need) and then justify their purchase with the spec, even if they actually never use the features that made them purchase the camera. I'm not saying I'm different. Except the only difference is that I purchased a Pentax.
09-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #111
Pentaxian

I did buy my K5iiS based on certain specs. The lack of a blurring filter to avoid moire was the primary reason I bought it. Of course the fact that it was a Pentax was a major selling point as well.

Over 60,000 shutter actuation s later I am still very happy with the camera and am just now beginning to feel that I am starting to understand how it works. It produces amazing photographs that are probably only topped by my 645D.

I know that this is a forum and people discuss lots of things but everytime I read one of these posts I cannot believe that people really need an upgrade already. I know I am a slow learner but for crying out loud, what is so wrong with the K-3 that you cannot work with it. I'm not sure these people even actually care about creating photographs. I think they are like 10 year olds looking for a new toy to play with. I have had the old one for a year, Christmas is coming, I need a new one.

I mean we already have a post about the K-1 replacement?!?

Maybe they need medication for their ADHD.
09-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I did buy my K5iiS based on certain specs. The lack of a blurring filter to avoid moire was the primary reason I bought it.
Same here. I already had a K-5, and the extra image quality from the omission of the AA filter (plus the better LCD) of the K-5IIs was well worth the upgrade.

09-18-2016, 04:13 AM   #113
Pentaxian

When it comes to image quality, the k-5 series is hard to beat. I like the features of my k-3II but when it comes to low light high ISO image quality, my k-5II out performs my k-3II. And I'm still wondering why.
09-18-2016, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #114
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
When it comes to image quality, the k-5 series is hard to beat. I like the features of my k-3II but when it comes to low light high ISO image quality, my k-5II out performs my k-3II. And I'm still wondering why.
This is exactly one of the big reasons I'm waiting to see how the successor to the K-3 II will perform.

I see, on DXO, that the D7100 has similar rated DR to that of the K-3II (13.7 vs 13.6) but the D7200 is at the top of the pack with a whopping 14.6 EVs rating.

Interesting differences in high ISO ratings though -- D7100 received a 1256 value while the K-3II got a paltry 1106. D7200 is higher up the chart at 1333. And the K-5II? At a very respectable 1235.

Like it or not, I think their ratings are generally accurate to the actual usage/feedback of these cameras. And even matching the D7200 in sensor performance would be a nice upgrade.
09-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Building digital cameras is always an exercise in compromise. There are likely features that the K3ii has that the K5 cannot match.

That is also one of the reasons I haven't had any interest in the K-1. It is certainly a fantastic camera but I just don't need those additional features. Besides, I am a great fan of the 50/40mm focal length. My K5iiS and my FA 31 Limited seem almost made for each other. I just can't imagine a better combination for 90% of my photography. And if I do need a little more reach, like at the kids sports events, I have lots of very good options, including the FA 77 Limited. Both provide exquisite results with my K5iiS...and with the K-01 as well.
09-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #116
Pentaxian

I also really like the 5-series. The K-3ii has multi composite and pxshift which I find intriguing, and those features interested me more than more AF points, GPS built-in, dual SD slots and other factors. No doubt those other features are exactly why others bought in, and I'm happy for each of them
09-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #117
mee
Veteran Member

Building digital cameras is always an exercise in compromise. There are likely features that the K3ii has that the K5 cannot match.

The point I was making though is the D7200 has the best of the K-5II mixed with the bests of the K-3II when it comes to sensor performance. So we can have our cake and eat it too. Ricoh just needs to use that sensor and tweak it as they always do for the best.
09-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did buy my K5iiS based on certain specs. The lack of a blurring filter to avoid moire was the primary reason I bought it. Of course the fact that it was a Pentax was a major selling point as well.

Over 60,000 shutter actuation s later I am still very happy with the camera and am just now beginning to feel that I am starting to understand how it works. It produces amazing photographs that are probably only topped by my 645D.

I know that this is a forum and people discuss lots of things but everytime I read one of these posts I cannot believe that people really need an upgrade already. I know I am a slow learner but for crying out loud, what is so wrong with the K-3 that you cannot work with it. I'm not sure these people even actually care about creating photographs. I think they are like 10 year olds looking for a new toy to play with. I have had the old one for a year, Christmas is coming, I need a new one.

I mean we already have a post about the K-1 replacement?!?

Maybe they need medication for their ADHD.
K-3 would have lasted me another 5 years - until K-1. I sincerely doubt I will buy another dSLR unless my K-1 fails out of warranty (which for me is three years).

Lenses - yeah, probably. All my goofing documentary stuff is with the 28~105. Using a zoom lens as default is a new concept for me.
09-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #119
Inactive Account

Well i was just at the Nikon sit in at Photokina and talk about insulting. All the had was a brief "mission statement" about acquisitions and a couple gopro like action cameras.

There isn't really anything much at the Pentax/Ricoh booth and it's in a lonely corner by itself. At least a got a few Pentax products.

Talk about a complete waste of time and money. Even the streaming chat of the Nikon press conference was shouting to switch to
Fuji or Pentax. I have never seen that before.

Pentax if you are listening, get of your collective backsides and take advantage of the vacuum that Nikon and Canon just created. Fuji is certainly taking advantage and You can be certain the Sony is already filling the void.

It's crazy there even here in Germany the Pentax K-1 and the Nikon D500 are cheaper than in Canada. That just isn't right.

Last edited by hologram; 09-19-2016 at 08:18 AM.
09-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #120
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hologram Quote
Well i was just at the Nikon sit in at Photokina and talk about insulting. All the had was a brief "mission statement" about acquisitions and a couple gopro like action cameras.

There isn't really anything much at the Pentax/Ricoh booth and it's in a lonely corner by itself. At least a got a few Pentax products.

Talk about a complete waste of time and money. Even the streaming chat of the Nikon press conference was shouting to switch to
Fuji or Pentax. I have never seen that before.

Pentax if you are listening, get of your collective backsides and take advantage of the vacuum that Nikon and Canon just created. Fuji is certainly taking advantage and You can be certain the Sony is already filling the void.

It's crazy there even here in Germany the Pentax K-1 and the Nikon D500 are cheaper than in Canada. That just isn't right.
Just saying... After Fuji's series of good mirrorless models, they now announced a come back in medium format arena... With a good selection of lenses...

Agree with you, but Pentax should really starts to presenting some new models soon while keeping upgrading faster than it use to be is selection of APS-C lenses... Otherwise only Fuji will take advantages of this condition and their condition will just get worse and worse....