Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #121
Inactive Account

I can't say much negative about the Fuji X-T2. The focus is very good but not as well rounded as the Nikon D500. The X-T2 has problems focusing with subjects that are moving away from the camera at around straight away from the camera to 75 degrees in angle. As if it is missing a Doppler effect compensation and it does not matter if it's in single point or multi point AF.

I got a K-1 and i enjoy it. I let a few people at the Pentax booth try a few of my lenses on my K-1 and they seem to be sold on pentax. The K-1 is better than the Nikon D810 as far as sharpenss goes and better in pixel shift and you have IBIS so that's a plus. The K-1 certainly isn't the K-3 in speed but that's not what i needed in a full frame.

Maybe in a couple years i will get a Nikon D850, if Pentax hasn't improved their line. For the time being between my D600, K-1 and SD-1 Merrill, it's more than enough to do my work. Now all i really need is a Sigma and or Nikon F to Pentax K mount converter (like the mc-111) or a meta bones. I didn't see any and no one seemed interested here at Photokina.

I'm still 6 hours behind in time lag so i am still a bit hyper while the locals are in bed or at a bar. I am not looking forward to the reset.

Time to Skyrim my way through the convention center.

UPD:

I just got back and it wasn't as bad of a convention as the last photokina was. The flights were murder though.

I can't see much i would improve on the K-3/ii . Better AF, lens adjust which the K-70 does have in some limited fashion. The fps speed is already adequate. Perhaps some better noise handling, aka better DR. Processing power for Pentax cameras needs to be improved or at least to sync the write buffers. Other than that it's fine except for video but that's a firmware programing problem that can be fixed rather easily by installing the K-30 video package and making a few tweaks. Ricoh/Pentax could go Open Source like Fuji and Olympus did for the codecs. It doesn't have to be proprietary and you could also record in MKV (matroska) format if you want a nice mix of sharpenss and colour.

For the K3 better AF i think Nikon did hit on something with the single 4 point AF mode on the D500. It's more or less a quick wider area version of single point AF. It certainly works well when taking portraits when you need a persons eyes and nose in focus and on the first try. Less work for the cameras CPU while getting more useful info for the AF to use.

Last edited by hologram; 09-20-2016 at 12:09 PM.
09-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It funny how folks like you just go about your business, make a comment in an obscure thread every now and then and just enjoy taking pictures. Where as those who have switched from Pentax to Nikon or Canon, are in here proselytizing every chance they get.

It doesn't matter how often you tell these people, you don't need 55 focus points. (90% of my images are centre point). They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell folks you are satisfied with 24 MP. They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell them, that shooting by your D800 buddies and comparing image, folks choose which image they like based on your composition and their interest in the subject matter, not by the resolution of the image, which often is not even apparent.. They don't get it.

It doesn't matter how many times I point out, our best selling image was taken with a 10 MP Optio 90 W, they don't get it.

There are a lot of people here who are thick as a brick with the heads stuck so far up their butts, they can't see, to the point, I've come to the conclusion, it's deliberate attention seeking behaviour. Thank god for the ignore function.

There are times when you just want to scream "Despite every technical deficiency you just pointed out in my K-3, it still has way more to offer than this camera you think is better, for my usage." The question is not "do they understand that." The question is, is their cantankerous in your face repetition of technical facts a deliberate tactic to get someone to talk to them because they are so lonely?"

"I like this camera more than the one you think is so great." is not the starting point of personal attacks, name calling and and endless stream of technical trivia that most people don't even care about. It's a statement of personal preference. This is a Pentax forum. Folks who can't read someone saying that about Pentax gear without calling them fanboys or whatever shouldn't even be allowed here.

What some folks don't seem to understand is people can read up about Pentax cameras, obtain one somewhere, decide they like the camera and post that online. That is not an invitation for some know it all to attempt an attitude adjustment.

Pentax user "I like my camera."
Negative forum members. " The AF is no good, it doesn't take good pictures, my camera is better than yours any $5000 Canikon camera is better."
These folks aren't on my forum... I ignore them. What I don't understand why the forum in general allows their participation.

There is something wrong when preferring the camera you bought makes you subject to ridicule, name calling and personal attacks. For some, I bought and use this camera because I like it is taken a an invitation for abuse.

I takes some kind of nerve to look at someone else's camera preference and say " This is why your choice is wrong." It's nobody else's choice, and unless it's asked for, no opinion is needed.
Think about how the human psyche works. The more unsure someone is of their viewpoint the more they need to convince others that they're right. Getting others into their opinion "club" confirms to them that they're correct. This is especially true of externally based people (far in the majority). We see this in all kinds of human behavior: politics, fashion, religion, products (cars, phones, cameras, even houses). Industries are based on this phenomenon. Perhaps the strangest is religion where often the proponents are so insecure in their beliefs that they have to go to great lengths to convert or even kill others to remove the dissenting views and "prove" to themselves that they're right. Somehow they attribute (project) the worst human traits (anger, jealousy, revenge, etc.) to their GOD. Emotion short circuits rational thought and masks the subconscious insecurity. We all do it to one extent or another. The only "cure" is to be mentally vigilant (metacognition). A key factor to remember about human behavior is that the more unsure someone is of their viewpoint, the more emotion will be projected in an attempt to override their rational mind. Keeping this attribute of human behavior in mind may be helpful to some when reading forums.
09-24-2016, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
Think about how the human psyche works. The more unsure someone is of their viewpoint the more they need to convince others that they're right. Getting others into their opinion "club" confirms to them that they're correct. This is especially true of externally based people (far in the majority). We see this in all kinds of human behavior: politics, fashion, religion, products (cars, phones, cameras, even houses). Industries are based on this phenomenon. Perhaps the strangest is religion where often the proponents are so insecure in their beliefs that they have to go to great lengths to convert or even kill others to remove the dissenting views and "prove" to themselves that they're right. Somehow they attribute (project) the worst human traits (anger, jealousy, revenge, etc.) to their GOD. Emotion short circuits rational thought and masks the subconscious insecurity. We all do it to one extent or another. The only "cure" is to be mentally vigilant (metacognition). A key factor to remember about human behavior is that the more unsure someone is of their viewpoint, the more emotion will be projected in an attempt to override their rational mind. Keeping this attribute of human behavior in mind may be helpful to some when reading forums.
Do not forget that this goes both sides Many spend lot of energy justifying that their gear is enough too. They must have to justify themselve too

For religion, one must not forget too this is a huge instrument of power. The more constraints you put on people (what they can eat, how they can dress, how they can live basically) the more you control them. Ultimate power being to publicly comdanm people for their bad behavior, and maybe even get them killed for it. It is not even necessary that the person in question actually did the thing.
09-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #124
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hologram Quote

As player 'Nikon' approached the town of Photokina, they took an arrow to the knee?

09-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hologram Quote
Too many people at a stall? Fus Ro Dah!

Just don't try to place all the cameras and lenses at their exact place on the table again ...
10-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Yeah.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a6500-rx100mv-officially-announced/

^ Just noticed that Sony released info on the new Sony A6500 with 5-axis IBIS.

The APS-C lens selection does suck, but there are plenty of FF E-mount lenses that can be used on this camera too. Pretty interesting.

Hopefully Pentax applies 5-axis IBIS on the next upcoming APS-C flagship.
10-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EArenz Quote
There are a lot of people here who are thick as a brick with the heads stuck so far up their butts, they can't see, to the point, I've come to the conclusion, it's deliberate attention seeking behavior. Thank god for the ignore function.
Ahh, a useful reply's the emoticon equivalent of a knowing smile, a quiet chuckle as if observing a silly child, or maybe even a LMAO if warranted -- drives 'em nuts when no one verbally engages.

Perhaps like the 'dedicated driver' program a few persons could volunteer each day to responsibly wield the 'stamp of ridicule'.

Or maybe a suggestion that a 'plexotomy' would be beneficial -- that's where the belly-button's replaced with a plexiglass plug so one can 'see out' while one's head's in the 'up and locked' position. (A new emoticon needed here?)

Never try to teach a pig to whistle - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

10-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Sony A6500 and RX100mV officially announced! - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

Are they taking the piss again?!?!

"The Sony α6500 interchangeable lens camera will ship this November for about $1,400 US and $1,750 CA. In Europe the new Sony α6500 will be available in Europe in December priced at approximately €1,700 body only or €2,800 with SEL1670Z lens."

$1,400 in the US, €1,700 (= $1,900) in Europe?! How long do they think they can continue maltreating their European customers like this?
10-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yeah.

Sony A6500 and RX100mV officially announced! - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

The APS-C lens selection does suck, but there are plenty of FF E-mount lenses that can be used on this camera too. Pretty interesting.

Hopefully Pentax applies 5-axis IBIS on the next upcoming APS-C flagship.
Their stab isn't 5 axis already? Or phrased differently. Do we expect the Sony A6500 to have significantly better SR than the one on K3-II (4.5 stops) in pratice ?

>> Ok I got my response K1 has 5 axis SR and it is called SR2.. Ricoh doesn't speak of it for other bodies apparently.

but the question still valid Sony claim 5 stops. But they add this precision: "Based on CIPA standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With Sonnar® T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.", K3-II has 4.5 stop. Do we really see an actual difference or is it still mostly marketing?

Does really the A6500 allow to shoot the FE55 reliably at 1/2s shutter speed (so 5 stops) ?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-06-2016 at 02:08 PM.
10-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
ugly GPS housing Frankenstein-like placed in pop-up flash space
Do people really think this? I think the K-3 II looks beautiful with them sharp corners on the pentaprism/gps housing. It's a very classic look, without being blatantly retro. I'm sick and tired of blobby DSLRs.

Pop-up flash always felt a bit consumer-ish for me, this is the flagship APS-C.
10-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
Do people really think this? I think the K-3 II looks beautiful with them sharp corners on the pentaprism/gps housing. It's a very classic look, without being blatantly retro. I'm sick and tired of blobby DSLRs.

Because you've never learned to use external flashes commanded by the pop-up.. that is all. Others do know how to do it. And we miss that compact option, because extra AF540 is another brick.
10-10-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Because you've never learned to use external flashes commanded by the pop-up.. that is all. Others do know how to do it. And we miss that compact option, because extra AF540 is another brick.
Some of us hardly ever use flash, at least anything that a lone "201" cannot handle, now that ISO numbers like 1600 are totally reasonable in regular usage.

Last edited by reh321; 10-10-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: expanded meaning
10-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #133
Pentaxian

Do people really think this?
. I don't.
10-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The K-3II is a beautiful camera. As a matter of fact, no offense to others as I am not picking a fight or an argument, except for the ks-1 I think all Pentax DSLR cameras are beautiful and are well designed. I like the way Olympus designed their evolt cameras but lately, I held the e-30 which I gave to my son and found that the grip wasn't as comfortable as my k-5II and my k-3II. Pentax designs are more compact and tough. I dropped my k-5II about 4 feet high last April and I don't intend to do it again. It only suffered a minor scratch on the battery grip and on the side of the camera's the shutter release button. Other than that, it works well. I guess if I were using another brand, I would have had a serious problem.

I believe having an on-board flash is a plus. However, it's not something that would really sway my decision in purchasing a camera. Overall, I like my k-3II. But as I have always wished, I still want better images using high ISO in low light conditions.
10-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Yep too consumer-ish. The flagship should:

- Have only M mode for real pros.
- Shoot only raw, jpeg is useless
- Have no back screen the information displayed in the OVF is sufficiant
- refuse to shoot if you are not on a tripod
- require a strobist kit with at least 3 flash as lighting for any scene