Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking to upgrade soon

I still have my trusty Pentax K-m camera and has never let me down.
Only my own lack of knowledge has...

only 8901 shutter counts.

Well been using camera more as my grand niece is a carnival queen.

So looking to upgrade.

Been "out the game" so long I not sure what's out there.
But with my low budget looking along lines of:

Ks1
Ks2
K50

Would like as much input as possible please.

09-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go for either K-S2 or K-50. If you want to keep it simpler, the K-50 is a solid choice.

Both will feel a lot like the K-m, though they actually have live view, are more responsive and have better image quality. I'd skip over the K-S1, but other than that you can't go wrong

More info in our reviews:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-S1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd go for either K-S2 or K-50. If you want to keep it simpler, the K-50 is a solid choice.

Both will feel a lot like the K-m, though they actually have live view, are more responsive and have better image quality. I'd skip over the K-S1, but other than that you can't go wrong

More info in our reviews:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-S1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Although I have a K-S1 and am very happy with it, I'd go for the K-S2. Avoid the K50; getting old and has problems.

The K-S1 is now discontinued, but great sensor, small and light, especially when matched with DA Ltds.

Check out SRS in Watford - good dealer, although I know there are some around the SW too

09-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a well-looked-after, low shutter count K-5? I still use mine alongside my K-3 and it's a remarkably capable camera with great build quality and nice IQ...
09-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K50 has been going strong for a over a year and a half now. No problems at all and actually more reliable than my K3. If you want wireless and more megapixels than the KS-2 is a great choice. I almost sold my K50 for a KS-2 but decided against it. I know the menu layout on the KS-2 is much better than that on the K50. The menu on the K50 seems clunky to use at times. Some people like the articulating screen on the KS-2 and I know my aging back would like it for low shots. For the price you really can not beat the K50 though. I use my K50 right alongside my K3.
09-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the K50; I've never used the KS1 / KS2. If the KS2 is in your budget, I'd recommend that because it will be compatible with the new KAF4 lenses. The K50 and KS1 are not. Also, I don't know exactly what photographing a carnival queen entails, (just posed pictures of her at close range or pictures of her in action in a crowd or a parade - at what range and with what lenses?) but it seems to me that if it would be useful to have the tilt screen on the KS2 if you hold the camera up overhead in a crowd.

The KS1 is not weather resistant, unlike the K50 and KS2. If you are only shooting indoors or with non WR lenses it doesn't matter, but if she's in outdoor events and it starts to drizzle, the WR might be useful.

Last edited by eyrr; 09-05-2016 at 01:38 PM.
09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My wife has a K-S2 and it is a great little camera.
With the release of the K-70 prices have come down on them.
09-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
The K50 and KS1 are not
That's half-right. The K-50 is not compatible with KAF4, but the K-S1 is with a firmware upgrade, same as the K-S2.

Oddly, the K-S1 is still listed as a current product on the Pentax Japan website a couple months after it was discontinued in the US; the K-50 was listed as discontinued in Japan weeks before it was announced in the US.

Of the three, the K-S1 is probably closest in size, weight, and feature set to the K-m, but its odd ergonomics (and that limited feature set) are quite off-putting to many. The K-50 was affected by a large number of aperture block failures (about one in four was the last I heard for the PF survey results). The problem may have been corrected in later batches; only time will tell, but for now, I can't recommend it, even though it is otherwise an excellent camera. Buying new, I'd recommend the K-S2. The size is fairly close to the K-m; it is heavier, but almost any new body is.
09-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That's half-right. The K-50 is not compatible with KAF4, but the K-S1 is with a firmware upgrade, same as the K-S2.
You're right. I stand corrected.
09-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

On a budget, go with a K-S2. It is a ton more camera than your trusty K-m. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
09-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

Mostly the shots are indoors on a stage, something like a beauty pageant.
At a distance as I usually at back or midway down the hall and on a chair to get over everyone's heads.

I usually use a Tamron LD DI 70-300mm.
Actually my favorite lens.

weight could be an issue, lighter will be better as I have weak arms and prolonged holding can be problematic.
09-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
weight could be an issue, lighter will be better as I have weak arms and prolonged holding can be problematic.
The K-S2 is sounding more and more like the best option
09-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
I rechecked the specs, and while the K-S2 body alone is heavier, if you are using NiMH rechargeables in your K-m, the weight of the K-S2 with its Li-Ion battery would only be 20-30 grams more. I think the grip is a little larger, which may help in this area.
09-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use enigizer lithium ultimate in my K-m they are very light batteries.

at moment
K-s1 with 18-55mm white £249
K-50 body only £319.99
K-s2 body only £399

Will see if local shop has a K-s2 as would like to see/hold before commit to buying